Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:18 PM

361 posts, read 398,440 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a condo in the Bellevue/Redmond area kind of north of CrossRoads.

This is a condo that I have purchased and moved into about 9 months ago.

There is a maintenance guy who works on the property, but his only job is to fix problems to prevent damages to the building.

To make a long story short, I heard some weird noise coming from my washing machine, and it sounded like loud popping noise. I got closer to the washing machine/dryer area, and realized that the loud sounds were coming from the water heater. it's an electrical water heater. I thought it was new, or at least installed within three years, because this unit that I have purchased was renovated last year (or maybe in 2017).

When I realized that it was the water heater, I quickly ran to my living room, thinking that hot water would explode from the water heater!.

Luckily there was no explosion. After all the loud noise stopped, I looked at the water heater and saw water leaking out from the top where the cold water pipe enters into the heater, and also from the pipe where hot water is carried to the unit. Water was also pooling in the rubber drip pan/collection pan, and it was filling up quite fast! There was no gasket or stopper to plug the hole that is at the side of this drip pan. So water started to pour onto the floor -and it's laminate flooring. cr@p! There is also a piece of carpet that is underneath the washer/dryer located right next to the heater. That also started to soak up too.

Called the maintenance guy. Told me that he was almost halfway home. I told him that it's really darn important for him to come to my unit quickly coz there is water leaking from the water heater onto my floor.

This maintenance guy for my condo tends to be grouchy at times. Luckily, he was nice enough to connect some kind of hose to a faucet near the bottom part of the water heater to drain it out. He also used a small water pump to drain the water heater faster. He did that for about 20 minutes, and then I asked him what the next plan was? He told me that he cannot fix and replace water heaters because that is personal property and that it is my own responsibility to replace the water heater at my expense. Cr@p!

After the maintenance guy left, I called up a plumbing company that I looked up online. I will not disclose the name of the plumbing company, but it is a large plumbing franchise that also does plumbing businesses in many other states. I was just looking for a plumber to come out to my unit to quickly replace the water heater as there was no hot water running in my unit.

Unlike the cold water back in Hawaii that comes out from the faucet, here in WA, the cold water is really damn cold that it hurts and numbs my fingers. I really needed to also shower that night too.

To make a long story short, plumber came out, and replaced the old heater with a new 50 gallon water heater.

He did a great job of placing new pipes and an expansion tank, which he told me is required by WA law for water heater piping.

However, when he gave me the bill, my eyes popped out and I wanted to faint and die.

Cost came out to $2180.94!!! (included tax)

I don't mind the labor charge of approximately $1200, coz it was short notice and an emergency call.

However, what pissed me off was that his billing statement stated a cost of $922.27 for parts.

WTF? A regular water heater cost around $300-$600. $600 range being the top best water heaters.

Anybody here an expert with plumbing cost/expense? Did I get highway robbed by this plumber and his company?

I was expecting to pay only around $1100-$1400 for the entire job, including the plumber getting a new water heater for me.

Besides calling up the plumbing company tomorrow to make a complaint about the rip off cost, can I report this to state government agency?

I can't argue about the labor cost. But $922.27 for parts? He only replaced the two copper coil pipes and purchased a new electrical water heater that does NOT cost more than $600.

------------------
On another note, some water restoration consultant from this same plumbing company called me just before the plumber showed up to my unit.

He told me that he wanted to come and take a look at the damage. I told him that there is no damage, but water did leak onto the laminate flooring underneath the water heater and completely soaked the carpet square/piece underneath the washer/dryer. Told him to come down to my condo and take a look to see the "damage" for himself.

When he got here, he started to "sell me" his restoration job. Told me that there is a lot of moisture underneath the laminate flooring and a lot of moisture underneath the bathroom tile flooring. I laughed to myself "how the hell is there moisture underneath the bathroom tiles?" I mean seriously, the water only got onto the laminate floor in the area by the water heater and the washer/dryer

I then asked this restoration consultant rep how much it will cost to blow dry/air out the underneath flooring? He said it may cost around $5000-$10,000, and again, I wanted to faint and vanish.

....but here is where I got skeptical of him. He said "don't worry, your home insurance will cover the cost. You may have only a deductible of $500-$1000."
I am like "sh-t, don't be trying to make money off of me, pal."

I then asked him what the process is for the restoration and how long it will take.

he told me that he has to take apart all the laminate flooring to air out the bottom layer, and also take out my bathroom sink to air out that portion of the bathroom. And dang, I was not even expecting this restoration consultant to tell me that he has to take apart my bathroom sink to air out the flooring underneat the sink!

I then asked him how will I be able to use the bathroom? He said that I will have to stay at a hotel for three to five days. Hell no! I ain't staying at a hotel! I got work and I don't know which hotel my home insurance will place me in.

I eventually told the restoration rep that I will decline his offer to dry out the flooring underneath the laminate floor and also the bathroom sink and tiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 10:34 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Well, now you know why getting a second (& even a third) opinion/bid is important. (re: drying the subfloor)

OP, IDK if you can judge Seattle-area or WA State plumbers by this one instance, which was a national chain. Think about it; all their overhead, advertising throughout the US, etc. is built into your bill, along with union wages, possibly, or guys with their journeyman qualification.

I just replaced a water heater, local guy, nice honest guy, and he did it for under $1200, gave me a little discount. That includes the water heater price. My point is, that now that you're a homeowner, and you're no longer in an emergency situation, you should scout out local plumbing shops, compare preliminary estimates (tell them you just bought a new condo, and are exploring the cost of replacing the water heater, 'cause it looks old), and try to find yourself a good outfit to work with in the future.

There might even be a neighborhood handyman, who does jobs like that for cheap: no overhead, works out of his home, isn't looking to take advantage of people, non-journeyman status, but can get the job done. Those guys are worth their weight in gold. You could start asking your neighbors, gradually as you get to know them, who they use for plumbing jobs

You could make it a project, to find one or two local plumbing businesses to note down in your address book, or wherever. When you call around, ask them how backed up they normally are, and if they can accommodate emergencies in a fairly timely manner (just as.an additional measure of how they operate).

I don't know why these kinds of things always happen on a weekend. In my experience, they typically happen on a Friday afternoon, so I have to wait 'til Monday, and I've had things happened on a 3-day weekend, so I end up waiting until Tuesday!

Anyway, welcome to home ownership!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:53 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Sorry I couldn't have helped you. 1 k max if I didn't live 50 miles from you and would have had a days notice. And Yes. You were well serviced to be polite about it.

Next time you might want to take some cold showers.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, now you know why getting a second (& even a third) opinion/bid is important. (re: drying the subfloor)

OP, IDK if you can judge Seattle-area or WA State plumbers by this one instance, which was a national chain. Think about it; all their overhead, advertising throughout the US, etc. is built into your bill, along with union wages, possibly, or guys with their journeyman qualification.

I just replaced a water heater, local guy, nice honest guy, and he did it for under $1200, gave me a little discount. That includes the water heater price. My point is, that now that you're a homeowner, and you're no longer in an emergency situation, you should scout out local plumbing shops, compare preliminary estimates (tell them you just bought a new condo, and are exploring the cost of replacing the water heater, 'cause it looks old), and try to find yourself a good outfit to work with in the future.

I do not know any local handyman or plumbers in this area. Cr@p. I thought that since this unit was renovated that the water heater was in good condition.

The wall heater in one of the bedroom also did not work at all when I first moved into this condo unit. Hence I was given a little discount. Also for window blinds that did not work in the 2nd bedroom.

Anyhow, I was in a rush to get the water heater replaced. I did not want to wait until today (which is a snow storm) to get a new electrical water heater for a cheaper price.

Quote:
There might even be a neighborhood handyman, who does jobs like that for cheap: no overhead, works out of his home, isn't looking to take advantage of people, non-journeyman status, but can get the job done. Those guys are worth their weight in gold. You could start asking your neighbors, gradually as you get to know them, who they use for plumbing jobs

LOL! with the Seattle Freeze, it is hard to even know who the hell my neighbors are. Not being racist, but there are some East Indian or Iranian/Persian families in my apartment and they tend to not be too social with non-Indians or middle easterners.

I asked that maintenance guy if he knew a plumber. He gave me a phone number. But he told me that the guy is loaded with work and he will not answer his phone. Low and behold, maintenance guy was right. I called and left that plumber a voicemail and still no call back from that plumber.

Do you search on Craigslist for these handymen?

Quote:
I don't know why these kinds of things always happen on a weekend. In my experience, they typically happen on a Friday afternoon, so I have to wait 'til Monday, and I've had things happened on a 3-day weekend, so I end up waiting until Tuesday!

Anyway, welcome to home ownership!
LOL! This heater breakdown also happened on Friday evening! Oh my! Thank God that this water heater leak did not happen while I was asleep, or worse, while I was at work! If so, not only would the laminate flooring be wet and soaked, but water would have soaked the carpet in the master room and the tile flooring in the adjacent bathroom.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Services, just like groceries in Seattle, are substantially higher than just about anywhere else, evem vs SoCal. I think it’s just because they can due to demand with all the construction, but also keep in mind Washington is one of the least small business friendly states

Old 02-04-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Sorry I couldn't have helped you. 1 k max if I didn't live 50 miles from you and would have had a days notice. And Yes. You were well serviced to be polite about it.

Next time you might want to take some cold showers.

I don't think that was funny. I have the flu and the cold right now. THe cold water from the faucet/tap here in WA is freezing, numbing and painful.

Where do you live? Up north in Everett?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Water heaters are always the owners responsibility. It is also your responsibility if your malfunctioning water heater impacts other units.

I have had very good experience with Washington Energy Services. Not so good experience with F*x Plumbing.

In our homes we have installed water sensors with alarms and shut off valves for each of our hot water heaters. We have three, all of which are located in an attic or upper floor. We lock and leave our homes for long periods of time and I know first-hand accounts of friends who have returned home to caved-in ceilings and extensive water damage, which can happen in hours never mind weeks. Installing a sensor and shut-off valve adds a couple hundred bucks but is worth every penny for peace of mind, in my opinion, if you have an elevated water heater.

Also, it is true that trades services are more expensive in Seattle, but in my experience the service is carried out by better-skilled, bonded and licensed tradesmen. In SoCal or Texas many service technicians are undocumented workers paid an artificially low wage.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:54 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Always always always try to hire a handy man instead of a plumber whenever possible. Many of them can perform rudimentary plumbing tasks and will be 1/3 cheaper in the long run.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:26 PM

246 posts, read 320,730 times
The first thing I learned when I bought my first house 17 years ago was to do my own plumbing. The first project was a new water heater, expansion tank, and PRV. The quote was 3x the materials cost.

Water heater prices vary not only by quality and capacity but also by warranty period.

I’m not sure an expansion tank is required by code (it could be in Seattle), but on a city water system, you will definitely get more life out of your new main tank with one. Not having one could have contributed to the deterioration of your old one.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I don't think that was funny. I have the flu and the cold right now. THe cold water from the faucet/tap here in WA is freezing, numbing and painful.
Aw c'mon, once the numbness sets it it's great!!! Everything gets nice and warm!!! There's great health benefits to it. I know I used to do it when i was a kid in Montana. When the water in the local creek reached 50 F mom would let us swin in it. Russians swear by it too.

Quote:
Where do you live? Up north in Everett?
I live in S Auburn, a ways south of you. I can't do emergencies as I have a day job and a full plate. There's plenty of guys around your area you just need to find one. Show some leg at the local plumbing wholesaler or play the damsel in distress thing. Shouldn't be a problem finding a handy man.

maybe try your hand at small home repair too. There's a lot of DIY and how to content on youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area