Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,831 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Seattle from India on L1 Visa with my wife on L2. After landing, I want to finalise an apartment for renting within a week. But On browsing online regarding most of the available apartments online, they require a check of credit worthiness. How will it happen in my case since there would not be any credit history? Also,is SSN mandatory since that would also take time.

Additionally,Wanted to know how the following things will work and what all documents will be required?

- Getting a SSN (Can both of us apply simultaneously or will spouse has to first apply for EAD?)

- What address to give while applying for SSN as our temporary accomodation is only for 2 weeks and we wont have any apartment on rent till then i believe

- For renting a house, what documents are required? Is SSN mandatory? Is a credit card mandatory? Since we wont have any credit history?

- Documents required for getting a sim card, getting a drivers license, opening a bank account? What is the sequence of getting all these things done? Which has to be a prework for doing anything else? Like can i find a house on rent before SSN/Phone number etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 04:08 PM

301 posts, read 312,442 times
You’ll probably have to call apartments you are planning to rent and see whether any of them are willing to skip credit check for you. It can be tough since I suspect many of good ones won’t want to do this. Your best bet might be finding something temporary on Craigslist, many places there are rented out by one off individuals and they might be willing to do this for you. You could also find some Airbnb and stay there for a couple months. When I was coming for the first time, I went with Craigslist. Also if you are coming through one of the big companies, apply for corporate credit card ASAP. I don’t think you can get rejected and it will start counting towards your credit rating (next step would be to get your own credit card and start using it).

Old 05-18-2019, 11:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Yeah, you may want to call in advance and explain your situation. With Amazon and Microsoft being here I can’t imagine your situation is all that uncommon. You may need to fork over first, last and a deposit, but if you’re on an L-1A or L-1B I doubt that’s going to be an issue for you.

Focus on getting an SSN. You will both need employment authorization. Once you have that, you can get all the documents you are asking about. I don’t know the time frame for issuance.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
I remember a lot of international types would walk their lease with no recourse in Denver.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,831 times
Thanks every one for the information. My only query remains that for SSN application, I would need to mention an address. However, if I do not have any rented apartment by then (which would atleast take 15-20 days) in seattle, what address shall I put? Can I use a hotel address in that case? but then it would mean I have to stay in the hotel till the day I receive the SSN card which might be too long as well?

Old 05-20-2019, 02:07 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
You can have it sent to:

Your Name
General Delivery
Seattle, WA 98101

This way, the Seattle Postal Department will hold it for you until you get to Seattle. They will ask you for ID so have valid ID with you to present and you'll be able to pick up your Social Security card then.

This method works. I work in Medical and we've moved for my job many, many times. If you don't yet have an address in a particular town but still need something that has been ordered sent to you there, this method will work for you.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:21 PM

13,066 posts, read 7,502,913 times
Doesn't your sponsor have process and procedures in place?

Old 05-20-2019, 04:37 PM

301 posts, read 312,442 times
You can try using your work address. In this case postman will usually drop it off at the front desk and you can pick it up from there.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 PM

50 posts, read 25,677 times
Hi there, we've just been through this. My husband managed to secure a place and we signed a lease before we moved (actually I haven't moved yet, but he has). We had to supply proof of earnings, etc., and oddly as I am on the lease they took mine into account even though it was an Australian employer and I'm now unwaged (not that it would have been a problem without it).

Credit cards are proving a bit more tricky. This in turn means online payments are tricky as some systems will not accept an Australian card, so we've had to transfer funds into the US bank account and use a debit card.

My husband's SSN took about a week from application to receipt.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:50 PM

808 posts, read 540,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaraderie View Post
Can I use a hotel address in that case? but then it would mean I have to stay in the hotel till the day I receive the SSN card which might be too long as well?

AirBnB is about half the cost of a hotel, and will include a kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area