Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,098 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am relocating to Kirkland this summer. When I was there for interviews, I explored downtown Kirkland and loved the walkability of it. I hear Juanita Village is a nice area too, does anyone have any opinions or insight they would like to offer in regards to pros/cons of those locations? I'm a young professional in my 20s and am would love to be able to walk to shops and bike around the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Hey there, Juanita Village with the beach park close is more laid back, chill vibe. There are a shops, cafes, places to walk. You'll find much more of those though, more people, more action, in Downtown Kirkland.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:40 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
Juanita Village is a nice, chill place with easy access to the lake, but you'll probably find yourself going elsewhere for activities, plus the neighborhoods around it are pretty family-oriented, not really what I would chose as a 20-something who likes to get out fairly often. DT Kirkland just has a lot more going on, more stuff to walk to, more amenities, better access to the lake, plus it's that much more convenient to DT Bellevue and Seattle.

Last edited by Kayela; 05-21-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw4162 View Post
Hi! I am relocating to Kirkland this summer. When I was there for interviews, I explored downtown Kirkland and loved the walkability of it. I hear Juanita Village is a nice area too, does anyone have any opinions or insight they would like to offer in regards to pros/cons of those locations? I'm a young professional in my 20s and am would love to be able to walk to shops and bike around the area.

Thanks!
Good for you, if you've made it in (somewhere). Wise choice. Between there and Mercer Island, I found a house (when looking, years ago) there first at my price point. I couldn't be moved out absent dynamite and dobermans on the loose, nowadays.

I live one mile north of downtown Kirkland, arbitrary center being corner of Central and Lk WA Blvd. I do believe the historic center might have been 7th and Market...I'm not hip enough on the history. Clearly some (buildings of interest) at that junction, though. Homes west of Market are stellar property. East, call it 1st through 6th N-S, are Norkirk and the gentrification is near-done. They've been leveling old shacks for years and putting in McMansions. Mine is a renovation, I do suppose...home of 30-something couples with 2.2 children, they say.

There is no comparison A to B that you asked for, okay? One downtown is a gorgeous albeit pretentious place, especially now through Thanksgiving when the weather is tolerable. Weddings at the gazebo. Public dock and also park seating on the grass. Walk along the lake boulevard. Festivals, spirit, everything else from cars to wine to.... Lot of dumb stores and more than 7 hair parlors on my last unofficial count. Best Greek food on Earth, not bad Thai. Starbucks, one of the all-time great locations. A "lane" with cute shops they're threatening to close off to cars on weekends (= not a bad idea). Sometimes a place to park, if you know where, but plan ahead regardless. Oh, and Dr. V____, my optometrist. I like her, too. A massive plaza about to open, verdict's out on that. Not too terribly far from my house so I have high hopes.

The latter is a couple streets of admittedly-useful restaurants and a few shops, with condos overhead. Nothing bad about it, it's just a bit ...chilly. Around the corner is some more action I like, like the man-barber (hot straight razor shave and haircut, $50). The donut place that costs too much and is run by teen girls, apparently. Mongolian Grill. A Wal Greens. A tolerable Mexican place, and my favorite local conveyor sushi (so-so quality, as-expected) with friendly staff.

Live near the former. Tons of new condos going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area