Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM

32 posts, read 27,726 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Seattle and am a little overwhelmed with whether to rent or buy and in which areas.

Situation
Married, no kids, in early 30s
Budget if renting: $2k a month (open to a larger 1 bedroom)
Budget if buying: $500k (really want a 2 bedroom)
Want a 45-minute commute or less to SLU using public transit
Don't care about gyms and building amenities
Open to areas since we do not have kids so schools not an issue

Found a few condos in Magnolia around $400k but not sure why they are so cheap. Also, notice the HOAs are really high so then we were thinking maybe go up in price but pay less HOA. With the high HOAs we are not sure buying makes sense.

Also, if we do buy, we would like the ability to rent it out later on if we move to a bigger place. With the high HOAs not sure how we would cover the expense for what rentals are getting. Maybe I am missing something.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarden13 View Post
I am relocating to Seattle and am a little overwhelmed with whether to rent or buy and in which areas.

Situation

Found a few condos in Magnolia around $400k but not sure why they are so cheap. Also, notice the HOAs are really high so then we were thinking maybe go up in price but pay less HOA. With the high HOAs we are not sure buying makes sense.

Also, if we do buy, we would like the ability to rent it out later on if we move to a bigger place. With the high HOAs not sure how we would cover the expense for what rentals are getting. Maybe I am missing something.

Thoughts?
Hi warden, Really important to check the financial health of the HOA. There are some decent buys in Magnolia, make sure there aren't any assessments coming that you will be on the hook for. Good research is everything. Commuting options can be a bit limited from there. You might want to consider the Maple Leaf and Northgate area, pretty good value for money and light rail coming soon. Greenwood Avenue north of 85th St would have some 2 bedroom options in your range as well with good bus options.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 06-12-2019 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-12-2019, 06:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:

Situation

Thoughts?
Buying a house or a condo is a big financial undertaking, and Seattle's an expensive place. The huge run up in prices seems to have slowed, so if you rented for six months or a year, you probably wouldn't be hurting yourself financially. And many people on this forum have suggested getting to know the place a little and rent for a while before buying. It's not bad advice.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 PM

32 posts, read 27,726 times
I am leaning towards renting however now having trouble finding a decent 1 bedroom under $2k near SLU. Hoping when I get there it will be easier.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
I am relocating to Seattle and am a little overwhelmed with whether to rent or buy and in which areas. ...

Thoughts?
I'm not real familiar with the Seattle market, but my impression is that prices are still overinflated and not likely to go much higher, so it would make more sense to rent for now, especially if you don't know what parts of town you like best.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 AM

301 posts, read 312,554 times
I live in Magnolia in one of these (rent) and have seen some of them around for sale. These buildings are hit or miss - some are nice but some are very run down, which is obvious by just looking at them (perhaps those cheap ones you are seeing are in those buildings?). Worthwhile mentioning that occasionally one of these entire buildings get bought out, they quickly slap new siding on top of rotten frame and make it look nice. It's pretty hilarious to see every day I am walking to work and every day when I am passing these renovation projects, it sinks my desire to buy a little bit further; especially since it's not just a condo thing and I've seen exactly same thing done to houses.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
My daughter just moved to Seattle and they are renting in Bothell. Good thing, because they had been considering buying in Bothell, but now realize that is not the location they prefer. Rent first and take your time buying would be my advice.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Buying a house or a condo is a big financial undertaking, and Seattle's an expensive place. The huge run up in prices seems to have slowed, so if you rented for six months or a year, you probably wouldn't be hurting yourself financially. And many people on this forum have suggested getting to know the place a little and rent for a while before buying. It's not bad advice.
Worked for me, always good advice:

Rented near work, in Redmond. Would have liked to live there, but really couldn't afford to buy. Expensive then, hideously so now.
  • 1,001 road trips and 18 months later, I knew where I wanted to live and was "affordable." LOL: back then, $150K for a two bedroom condo in a nice area was "affordable." So, I bought and moved to Mill Creek.
  • Made money on a couple unit upgrade-and-flip after '03, the pseudo recovery from the Recession of 2001 and E-Z money running up to the major crash (I'd call it a Panic) end of 2007 / into 2008.
  • After the terror of all that horrid stuff ran out of the market, which bottomed in '11, bought where I wanted to live from cash under the mattress and equity in my final Mill Creek place: Kirkland, in my case.

Too many variables to just go out and "buy" something here, if it's alien to OP.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:07 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Rent first. Seattle and the greater King Co county are quite interesting. Lots of neighborhoods.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
And a week later, what have found?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area