Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 06:56 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times

Advertisements

I can agree with, fnh
Be sure you & spouse is 100% in agreement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 07:02 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarden13 View Post
I just relocated to Seattle from the East Coast with my dog and wife. We went looking at rentals last week and places to buy this week. It's hard to compare apples to apples as the place we would rent is not what we would buy.

We found a condo we love but at the top of our budget. Great location but has an HOA - as do many in the city. Very close to work and really not much we would have to do to move in.

On the flip side, to rent a decent 1 bedroom or loft with parking/pet fees/and other apt fees comes to about $2800-3200 a month. I really think its a waste and then we would have to move our stuff again if we buy (another expense).

I really think the condo is a good investment but am on the fence. The monthly mortgage with HOA/Taxes/Ins would be $3700-$4000, however, it much nicer then the apts. Also, the condo would wipe out most of our savings, however, we could replenish quickly with my new income.
Did the condo building look well-maintained? You should meet with the head of the HOA to ask questions: how long ago did they get a new roof? How much is in the reserve fund for repairs and maintenance? What's their maintenance schedule (exterior paint job, roof, trim, etc.). Just because there's a HOA doesn't mean they're managing things responsibly. Go back, and scrutinize the exterior of the building, with an eye for detail.

A friend of mine bought a condo, only to find out within the year she moved in, that maintenance had been deferred, the reserve was way inadequate for replacing the roof, and everyone's monthly fee went up by several hundred $$. She'd calculated pretty down to the wire when she moved in, all her expenses, so she was not at all happy. After the rude awakening, she made point of getting herself elected to the committee, so that she'd have some clout in how things were managed. I'm not sure how she even managed to pay the huge monthly fee increase, as she was stretched too thin for that.

Don't let yourself get caught by surprise. Do due diligence. It's a lot of money you're talking about: YOUR money!

Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,312,713 times
How are the financials in the building, reserves? Make sure you know.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:20 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Yes, this is important. And actually high HOA fees usually mean the condo is being managed well, as they are simply keeping up with costs. Of course, be wary of high fees for services you don't use...like recreational facilities, swimming pools, even golf courses. These high HOA's do exist and you need to study what you are getting and what you actually will use. In general condos are a good investment, but you have to do your homework.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:43 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
I wouldn't second guess it.

We aren't paying much less in mortgage (plus HOA, etc.), we send an additional $5-6k towards principal and our income is far from $300k.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:19 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, this is important. And actually high HOA fees usually mean the condo is being managed well, as they are simply keeping up with costs.
When we purchased our condo in 2012 reserves were less than 60% and HOA fees were reasonable. We had two years of big increases that we didn’t expect. We’re now at 100% funded and haven’t had any additional increases for 2 years.

Another area that we weren’t familiar with was “special assessments”. There were a couple of units that we looked at in other buildings that had special assessments of an additional $10-$20,000 paid up front or spread out over monthly payments. These were disclosed from the beginning. Speaking with the HOA or attempting to explore meeting minutes looking for discussions of big ticket items that have not yet been disclosed might be a good idea, if it’s even possible to get that information.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:05 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,700 times
^^^^That information should be available to you and if not, that would be a red flag. Ideally condo associations should also have reserves studies conducted every few years wherein an outside auditor reviews the finances and common structural elements to rate their "health". Ask for this as well.

Special assessments are simply unanticipated major expenses. Again these can (will) happen to every homeowner. Case in point, our Houston home (SFH) was struck by lightning last month. The "special assessment" for replacing our TVs/modem/Rokus/desktop iMac/AC units/landscape lighting and sprinkler system control panels/driveway gate motor/doorbell... has exceeded $30K so far.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarden13 View Post
Snip...
I really think the condo is a good investment but am on the fence. The monthly mortgage with HOA/Taxes/Ins would be $3700-$4000, however, it much nicer then the apts. Also, the condo would wipe out most of our savings, however, we could replenish quickly with my new income.
If Seattle area is where you want to spend next few-10 years, go ahead and get a condo/SFH/Townhouse. Our son, did 2years of hard savings (minimal IRA/Roth and 401k) i early in this decade, accumulating a down payment and then a couple of years after the purchase, to replenish his Reserve fund. If you can, i 'd consider a townhouse and eliminate the HOA.
Good hunting. You don't have to pull the trigger, but you do need to know what are the good options.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:40 PM

494 posts, read 286,452 times
HOA fees and horrible neighbors. Harder to sell a condo instead of packing and moving out of a rental.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:26 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
If Seattle area is where you want to spend next few-10 years, go ahead and get a condo/SFH/Townhouse. Our son, did 2years of hard savings (minimal IRA/Roth and 401k) i early in this decade, accumulating a down payment and then a couple of years after the purchase, to replenish his Reserve fund. If you can, i 'd consider a townhouse and eliminate the HOA.
Good hunting. You don't have to pull the trigger, but you do need to know what are the good options.
Townhouses and a lot of new houses also have HOA fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area