Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 02:09 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times

Advertisements

I haven't spent much time there and I don't know anyone who lives there, despite it being pretty close to downtown; it just seems to be rich, especially the few blocks closest to Lake Washington. Are the residents more old-money and conservative "Seattle has changed too much" types,* or "well, if it doesn't affect me..." latte liberals, or progressive types who'd put out Black Lives Matter signs on their laws and just happen to also be rich?

How much geographical mobility is there - are there a lot of families who have been in the Pacific Northwest for generations,** or is it just where the 1% at any given time tend to hang out?

*and if not, where in the Seattle area can you find that?
**and if not, where in the Seattle area can you find that?

Last edited by TheTimidBlueBars; 08-16-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 02:34 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
The real estate agents here can tell you more, but I have a stairway of Seattle urban walk book that I've been following for years that gets me up close and intimate with many of those particular streets.

I have always assumed two things about them:

1) They are nearly all white people.
2) There is disproportionately more generational wealth than other areas of the city.

Some of the homes are truly magnificent and incredibly stately yet are currently occupied by young families. Even the families with dual professional incomes couldn't pull that off.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:05 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
We live there in Madison Park. No family money, have worked hard for years in business, bought a modest home at the right time in Phinney Ridge area, did most of our own work on it. It went up in value, we parlayed over to a house here that also needed work, we've now fixed that up. Some people have been in Madison Park for a long time, some not that long.

Contrary to popular belief, there are a variety of house styles and sizes here, very modest to quite large. Since we moved here two years ago, we've met people I'd say 40 years old (we're 52) and up. Lots of kids, safe place for them to run around. We're left leaning politically, plenty of others like that here too but probably not a bastion of radicalism. The little buildings in the village are low key, mostly from the 50s. Good place to walk, friendly people around, nice little beach too. Irish pub, a couple coffee shops and decent restaurants, even a dive bar called the Red Onion. We've grown to love it.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,484 times
The so-called 1% don’t live in Seattle

Old 08-16-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Actually, that's not true. They absolutely live in some of the high end homes in Denny Blaine, Madison Park, Washington Park, Laurelhurst.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 08-16-2019 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-17-2019, 12:00 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Actually, that's not true. They absolutely live in some of the high end homes in Denny Blaine, Madison Park, Washington Park, Laurelhurst.
Not really, they may have homes there for a presence, but just like Bezos and Gates they really won’t spend much time in Seattle vs a real world-class city like NYC, LA, DC, London, etc.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:35 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,124 times
Everyone is rich in Madison Park!

Old 08-17-2019, 05:10 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
We live there in Madison Park. No family money, have worked hard for years in business, bought a modest home at the right time in Phinney Ridge area, did most of our own work on it. It went up in value, we parlayed over to a house here that also needed work, we've now fixed that up. Some people have been in Madison Park for a long time, some not that long.

Contrary to popular belief, there are a variety of house styles and sizes here, very modest to quite large. Since we moved here two years ago, we've met people I'd say 40 years old (we're 52) and up. Lots of kids, safe place for them to run around. We're left leaning politically, plenty of others like that here too but probably not a bastion of radicalism. The little buildings in the village are low key, mostly from the 50s. Good place to walk, friendly people around, nice little beach too. Irish pub, a couple coffee shops and decent restaurants, even a dive bar called the Red Onion. We've grown to love it.

Hey, homes, just checkin' in with ya. I'm happy that you and your family are happy with my city of birth, Seattle. I have heard of Madison Park but have no clue really where in Seattle that is. I grew up in Edmonds.

I just have one question for you. Do you follow the Miami Heat NBA team? Or did you never really bond with them? Lobby for the Sonic's ta get back to Seattle wherever and whenever you can. It will bring net profits in money to Seattle businesses and provide dozens of jobs for people. But what it will provide in money is shadowed by what it will provide in love for the many Seattle Supersonic fans nationwide.

Kick that around for a second and reply back to me if you'd like, homes. Hope you guys are digging your weekend!

Old 08-17-2019, 05:44 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yes, they do. They live in Laurelhurst, Madrona, Shoreline (if you count that as Seattle), and a few scattere4d around other nooks and crannies of the city. There's a large estate tucked away in Victory Heights/Pinehurst, There might be a few left on Capitol Hill by volunteer park, and now some have moved to Alki in W Seattle, and built mansions on the beachfront.

I agree with homes to some extent; I never thought of Madison Park as being the rich part of town. There are plenty of modest homes there. It's probably been gentrifying beyond the few nice homes it had before, though, as more people discover it's a very nice part of the city. New high-end condos have gone in, etc.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Hey, homes, just checkin' in with ya. I'm happy that you and your family are happy with my city of birth, Seattle. I have heard of Madison Park but have no clue really where in Seattle that is. I grew up in Edmonds.

I just have one question for you. Do you follow the Miami Heat NBA team? Or did you never really bond with them? Lobby for the Sonic's ta get back to Seattle wherever and whenever you can. It will bring net profits in money to Seattle businesses and provide dozens of jobs for people. But what it will provide in money is shadowed by what it will provide in love for the many Seattle Supersonic fans nationwide.

Kick that around for a second and reply back to me if you'd like, homes. Hope you guys are digging your weekend!
Nah, I left Miami in 1984 way before there was a team, fell in love with the Sonics as soon as I got here in 1989. I miss the Sonics a lot, and that little badass mascot Squatch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area