Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:56 AM

73 posts, read 248,696 times

Advertisements

I would recommend a snowboarding jacket- Just enough warmth for Seattle's climate and also waterproof. Far less expensive and pretentious as the REI/Polar Fleece/Outdoor BS that's so popular out here!

News flash to certain Seattleites: It's not the least bit stylish to walk through downtown Seattle dressed like a mountain climber when you're simply going to your day job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoman! View Post
I would recommend a snowboarding jacket- Just enough warmth for Seattle's climate and also waterproof. Far less expensive and pretentious as the REI/Polar Fleece/Outdoor BS that's so popular out here!

News flash to certain Seattleites: It's not the least bit stylish to walk through downtown Seattle dressed like a mountain climber when you're simply going to your day job!
Wow, first time I've heard anybody referring to REI, Polar Fleece and other outdoor clothing as being pretentious.

As to being stylish, well I don't think it is about being stylish...it's about being comfortable.

I don't give a rip about style or fashion, I realize that some people do...and would never dream of criticizing people that enjoy wearing stylish clothing…and have never understood why so many that move here from elsewhere have such a problem with what many people choose to wear...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Wow, first time I've heard anybody referring to REI, Polar Fleece and other outdoor clothing as being pretentious.
Ok, maybe pretentious isn't the right word. Reverse snobbery? You must admit it is a style of clothing peculiar to the "liberal elite" (whoever they are). You don't see too many poor white people in rural or woodsy settings wearing them, and those people spend a heck of a lot more time out in the woods than your average REI wearing city dweller.

Quote:
As to being stylish, well I don't think it is about being stylish...it's about being comfortable.

I don't give a rip about style or fashion, I realize that some people do...and would never dream of criticizing people that enjoy wearing stylish clothing…and have never understood why so many that move here from elsewhere have such a problem with what many people choose to wear...
It's just part of the overall trend of the United States turning into a nation on slobs. It's a general overall trend and while Seattle is by no means the only culprit it is a big one. No place besides Seattle or Portland do you see men with ponytails wearing socks and sandals in fancy restaurants. It's like every day is casual Friday in this city! Remember how people used to dress in the 20's and 30's? Pressed suits, derby hats, suspenders, shined shoes. Even poor people dressed with a sense of pride. Even in the 50's if someone dared wear sweatpants in public they had darned well better be jogging!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Hey seattlenextyear - track down this issue of "Seattle Man" magazine for some tips:

seattlemanmid_2.jpg (image)

Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoman! View Post
Ok, maybe pretentious isn't the right word. Reverse snobbery? You must admit it is a style of clothing peculiar to the "liberal elite" (whoever they are). You don't see too many poor white people in rural or woodsy settings wearing them, and those people spend a heck of a lot more time out in the woods than your average REI wearing city dweller.

It's just part of the overall trend of the United States turning into a nation on slobs. It's a general overall trend and while Seattle is by no means the only culprit it is a big one. No place besides Seattle or Portland do you see men with ponytails wearing socks and sandals in fancy restaurants. It's like every day is casual Friday in this city! Remember how people used to dress in the 20's and 30's? Pressed suits, derby hats, suspenders, shined shoes. Even poor people dressed with a sense of pride. Even in the 50's if someone dared wear sweatpants in public they had darned well better be jogging!
I don't see it as reverse snobbery either. Polar Fleece, etc is good for keeping one warm, but it isn't meant to be rugged work clothing. I'm going to say that many of the rural people don't wear it just for that reason. Having said that, I live in far eastern King County, we still have quite a few loggers in our community and it is very common to see them wearing Polar Fleece or something similar while commuting to and from their job sites.

The 20's, 30's and even the 50's were more formal times, people and fashion change. I don't know many people who would want to go back to the clothing in fashion back then.

Seattle has always been more individualistic in regards to fashion than much of the country...you are always going to find people dressed in fleece, etc along with people who wear only the latest fashions.

As long as my clothes are clean and in good repair I'm happy...I do however draw the line at sweatpants in public!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
<QUOTE> It's just part of the overall trend of the United States turning into a nation on slobs. It's a general overall trend and while Seattle is by no means the only culprit it is a big one. No place besides Seattle or Portland do you see men with ponytails wearing socks and sandals in fancy restaurants. It's like every day is casual Friday in this city! Remember how people used to dress in the 20's and 30's? Pressed suits, derby hats, suspenders, shined shoes. Even poor people dressed with a sense of pride. Even in the 50's if someone dared wear sweatpants in public they had darned well better be jogging!</QUOTE>

Hi, I'm going to wait until I get to Seattle to buy another coat, so thanks for your advice. I'll probably buy something from REI because I'm somehow both a slob AND snobby and pretentious. That's quite a world view you've got there. Maybe you should go back to wearing suits and fedoras to work and see how that works out for you.

Last edited by seattlenextyear; 06-29-2008 at 11:19 AM..

Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I don't see it as reverse snobbery either. Polar Fleece, etc is good for keeping one warm, but it isn't meant to be rugged work clothing. I'm going to say that many of the rural people don't wear it just for that reason. Having said that, I live in far eastern King County, we still have quite a few loggers in our community and it is very common to see them wearing Polar Fleece or something similar while commuting to and from their job sites.
Polar Fleece ok, but never REI or similar brands.

Quote:
The 20's, 30's and even the 50's were more formal times, people and fashion change. I don't know many people who would want to go back to the clothing in fashion back then.
(Raises hand) I would! I think the Boomers ruined it for style. Allen Ginsberg said something like (and I'm paraphrasing) "the sixties was the decade that America took off it's clothes". William S. Burroughs responded something to the extent of that he was ready for America to put it's clothes back on! Obviously the word "clothes" is alluding to more than just actual clothing, but I think the idea is still germane.

Quote:
As long as my clothes are clean and in good repair I'm happy...I do however draw the line at sweatpants in public!
Amen!

Especially when it's young girls wearing sweatpants with the a word like "sweettart" Scrawled across the arse! Sickening... What is wrong with parents these days?! I don't have kids but if I did I certainly wouldn't let my daughter dress like a walking billboard for pedophiles...

But I digress...

Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
<QUOTE>Hi, I'm going to wait until I get to Seattle to buy another coat, so thanks for your advice. I'll probably buy something from REI because I'm somehow both a slob AND snobby and pretentious. That's quite a world view you've got there. Maybe you should go back to wearing suits and fedoras to work and see how that works out for you.
Great! You'll fit in perfectly with all the other boring pasty white people in Seattle! Get some REI gear, put a down-payment on a condo in Fremont, get an I-phone or a blackberry so you can a manage your fair-trade stocks on the fly and become a full-blown caffeine addict! Seattle will fit you like a glove!

(apologies to Seattlites who do not fit this description, but there are unfortunately plenty that do!)

And don't take my fashion observations so literally, dude.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
You forgot the part where I buy a Prius and put Obama stickers on it.

You should read the blog "things white people like". It describes your stereotypes pretty well.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You forgot the part where I buy a Prius and put Obama stickers on it.

You should read the blog "things white people like". It describes your stereotypes pretty well.
Bwah ha, ye got me thar partner!

And yes, the Stuff White People Like blog is some funny (censored)! (wow this board is lame, you can't even say "poop" with a cockney accent without it getting censored!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: