Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 03:02 PM

40 posts, read 24,103 times

Advertisements

I’ve decided to start making plans to move to Seattle but having trouble with finding apartments. Does Seattle not have “apartment locators”? Zillow and other pages are meh... I did view a few places last week near the water front (Belltown area). Parking was a drawback there... looking at Bellevue area online and hard to find a (gated) apartment complex with secure parking. Any tips to send me in the right direction? I’d love to be able to have water and/or Mountain View’s. Am I too low on price range? I’d like a 1br/1ba with a budget around $1800 I work remotely from home so not worried about a commute. I explored Queen Anne, Capital Hill, Fremont, around the waterfront, and a bit around Lake Union. I found a room for rent on Mercer Island but not sure I want to go that route. Bellevue or near Pike Place Market/waterfront are where I’d like to be...but a nice view near there is also an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 04:03 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
If looking for "a (gated) apartment complex with secure parking", you're not going to find that in Seattle, and especially in the areas where you're looking. You might be able to find that in Bellevue, but maybe not in your price range. There are secure buildings (almost all are), but the cost of off-street parking, especially where you're looking, can drive the total cost over your budget. Here's one that looks to meet your requirements:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...81563788_zpid/

For more choices within your budget, including free off-street parking, look outside Seattle's core neighborhoods: Central District, Beacon Hill, Columbia City, Crown Hill, Greenwood, Northgate, etc.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:58 PM

40 posts, read 24,103 times
Thanks! I just hate the thought of street parking my new car lol

Old 01-04-2020, 06:11 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust19 View Post
I’ve decided to start making plans to move to Seattle but having trouble with finding apartments. Does Seattle not have “apartment locators”? Zillow and other pages are meh... I did view a few places last week near the water front (Belltown area). Parking was a drawback there... looking at Bellevue area online and hard to find a (gated) apartment complex with secure parking. Any tips to send me in the right direction? I’d love to be able to have water and/or Mountain View’s. Am I too low on price range? I’d like a 1br/1ba with a budget around $1800 I work remotely from home so not worried about a commute. I explored Queen Anne, Capital Hill, Fremont, around the waterfront, and a bit around Lake Union. I found a room for rent on Mercer Island but not sure I want to go that route. Bellevue or near Pike Place Market/waterfront are where I’d like to be...but a nice view near there is also an option.
Maybe throw West Seattle into the mix, great views out there.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:09 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Maybe throw West Seattle into the mix, great views out there.
Yeah, I should have added the Junction/North Admiral/Alki to my list. For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...11195040_zpid/

Free shuttle to the Water Taxi to Downtown.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:25 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
A secure underground garage is as close as you're going to get in the areas you mention, I would look around for people renting out a condo with a deeded spot. We lived in a couple buildings in Capitol Hill that had nice garage parking and guest spots as well (and killer views).

Old 01-05-2020, 08:19 AM

301 posts, read 312,822 times
When we looked, we used combination of zillow, google, craigslist. We found the majority of good places through google (just open google map and search for "apartments") and a few good ones on Craigslist and Zillow. I wouldn't worry about views too much - if there is view at all, like you are not surrounded by trees or something, you are guaranteed to have views of water and mountains. I am in a random spot in the middle of Magnolia and from my balcony can see sunsets over Sound, sunrises over Cascades, and snow-covered peak of Mt. Baker. If you rent in a safe neighborhood, it should be ok to dump car on the street, although I might be a bad reference here because my car is pretty beaten up by now.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:27 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Check apt. listings in Madison Park, which is a neighborhood right on Lake Washington, south of the UW. It may be pricey precisely because of its location, location, location! But you may be able to find something on your budget, which isn't too bad compared to some of the rent budgets we've seen here.

IDK about "gated", but there should be parking, and the area isn't known for car break-ins, but IDK. None of my friends in Seattle have ever had a problem parking their cars on the street, which people on this forum say is impossible, and yet...

Good luck, OP! Let us know what you find. Lucky you, to be able to work from home.

Oh, and if you like water views, consider checking out Bainbridge Island, if you don't mind a semi-rural feel, and being connected to Seattle only by ferry.

P.S. The Pike Place area has some of the highest rents in the city, because of those views and some of the buildings are higher-end. You should do better on Queen Anne Hill.

Oh, and since you're ok with Bellevue, take a look at Kirkland, just to the north. Hmmm....water...mountains... Also take a look at Edmonds, just north of Seattle. It's on the water, has a lot of apt. buildings, tho most are away from the downtown waterfront, some apts. should have good views. It's a small community with good transit links to downtown Seattle. Has ferry service to the Kitsap Peninsula, from which Olympic Peninsula hiking can be accessed.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-05-2020 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust19 View Post
...or near Pike Place Market/waterfront are where I’d like to be...but a nice view near there is also an option.

It would be difficult to get anything for $1800 in Belltown with a view and parking. Here is a studio for $1700 with garage parking which seems reasonable for Belltown. 10 minute walk to Pike Place Market and 3 blocks from the waterfront.
https://seattlerentalgroup.com/renta...ax_price=99999

Old 01-06-2020, 09:32 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
If nothing is available that suits your needs at the price you want to pay, your budget is too tight and you will have to spend more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area