Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 11:08 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times

Advertisements

If your budget for a studio is between $1000 and $1500, I would suggest Capitol Hill or First Hill. You will be close to the large hospitals on First Hill for employment, close to the light rail train for UW/UW-Med, and Cap Hill typically has tons of hospitality industry jobs during non-pandemic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,201,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Thatguy, I don’t think you really get how weird Florida is. Check these stories out. https://www.boredpanda.com/hilarious...mpaign=organic
That’s true, but what we often miss on the Florida crazy train is a lot of the “extra crazy” we associate with Florida is happening all over the country in similar numbers, but with the big difference being Florida’s public disclosure laws that let us view the crazy more easily

Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,973,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I’m born and raised in Miami (parents still live there) and in Seattle 32 years now. I don’t miss the humidity, don’t miss the aggressive drivers and can’t imagine living (ever again) in a place without mountains.

That is, when you can see them Just kidding - certainly there is a lot of beauty in Seattle and the surrounding areas but first and foremost it is incredibly expensive to live there and to do just about anything. I would focus on doing a truly realistic budget about what kind of housing you can afford and then actually go see it for yourself and also check out the area that you can afford. The city is very walkable if you are within the city but if you venture outward where the rents are lower, you'll find it more difficult without a car.

My daughter lives in Ballard and she couldn't be without a car. You cannot underestimate how bad the homeless problem is in Seattle even in the so called good neighborhoods. If you go there with your eyes wide open and a realistic budget you might find that it suits you just fine. I haven't been there since Covid restrictions started but every time I've visited, it's been more and more shocking.

One last thing, Seattle had some very strict Covid restrictions and there have been restaurants that have not survived. If you're looking for a job in hospitality, there might not be a lot offered. I don't know that for a fact but just common sense with the restrictions and many young people just not going out like they used to.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:54 PM

32,660 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
........ Just get out there, unless it's pouring rain.

There is a large selection of excellent companies that make weather appropriate clothing. So even when it is raining, you can get out there and do outdoor things. A little wet never stopped anybody who grew up local.

When there is a raging storm, it is a bit less fun to be biking or hiking, so we PNWers do winter storm watching. Head to the coast and watch the weather attacking the ocean. It's an awesome experience, with the original meaning of "awesome".

Old 04-12-2021, 05:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is a large selection of excellent companies that make weather appropriate clothing. So even when it is raining, you can get out there and do outdoor things. A little wet never stopped anybody who grew up local.

When there is a raging storm, it is a bit less fun to be biking or hiking, so we PNWers do winter storm watching. Head to the coast and watch the weather attacking the ocean. It's an awesome experience, with the original meaning of "awesome".
Are you actually "schooling" Ruth4Truth?
Dick.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:33 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Are you actually "schooling" Ruth4Truth?
Dick.
lol. I didn't take it that way. I guess I'm not a born-and-raised PNW-er. I still can't imagine going hiking in the rain, although members have actually posted photos of a family on a hike in rain gear. I could see taking a walk/hike on a misty day, but not in outright rain.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol. I didn't take it that way. I guess I'm not a born-and-raised PNW-er. I still can't imagine going hiking in the rain, although members have actually posted photos of a family on a hike in rain gear. I could see taking a walk/hike on a misty day, but not in outright rain.
I grew up in Puget Sound, been here 54 years. I've known lots of people over the years and when it's pouring, most stay inside. Every one of them knows about weather appropriate clothing.

You're an active and helpful contributor here, no need for snark or insult.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:42 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmann.11 View Post
I am going to book a flight with my boyfriend to visit there soon - probably near the end of July, maybe sooner.

I also would like to not have to depend on a car to get me everywhere like I have to do here in Florida.

Also, here's a little bit of background info about myself: I am 27, hospitality background (bartender), and currently a pre-nursing student. I currently work as a Nursing Assistant at a local hospital too.
If your boyfriend will be moving with you, that will help pay the rent while you go to school and work part-time.

Neighborhoods where you can easily live without a car, look at Capitol Hill, First Hill, U-District, Roosevelt/Ravenna, Lower Queen Anne, Fremont, Wallingford, Ballard, North Beacon Hill.

Will you be looking at a 2-year or 4-year nursing school?

4-year nursing schools: University of Washington, University of Washington Bothell, Seattle U, Seattle Pacific, Northwest University.

2-year nursing schools: Seattle Central College, Shoreline Community College, Bellevue College.

Old 04-13-2021, 01:14 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 333,293 times
Keep your winter wardrobe out for basically the whole year.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:57 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Curious the answer(s) OP is fishing for: "what places to visit and scope prior to moving" or "what should I consider" are vague. When relocating: risk analysis on one hand (expected gain must exceed outlays in time and resources, amortized over expected duration in town), bound by constraints. Money is usually no. 1 constraint, and relates to economic expectations at the destination vs. source. $3,900/mon at the Bravern in Bellevue for a two bedroom is a far cry from an "affordable" place at c. $1,200/mon in a shady part of Seattle.

First suggestion or idea: define personal skills and expected income based on demand, and expected job opportunity and growth over a 5-10 year horizon. Then visit: July has nothing to do with c. mid-December, about the time weather and darkness bottom out. Shortest day of the year is exactly when I would visit just to see what's what. Growing up in Michigan, I toured Seattle in February some years ago and was impressed by how mild it was in comparison. Florida to Seattle is the most extreme culture shock I can imagine in the CONUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area