Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 7,815 times

Advertisements

What's up, everybody!

So, I want to move out of Florida. It's been long overdue for me to move and I do not want to spend the remainder of my 20's here, as I have already been here most of my life, born and raised.

The pacific northwest really interests me, for a multitude of reasons; the better infrastructure, economy, culture, climate, etc.

More specifically, I am interested in the Seattle area, so what are some places worth checking out that I should add to my list of places to visit and scope out prior to moving? What are something I should consider? I have put a lot of time into my personal research for my relocation, so I would really like to compare notes with any of the replies you leave. I am going to book a flight with my boyfriend to visit there soon - probably near the end of July, maybe sooner.

I also would like to not have to depend on a car to get me everywhere like I have to do here in Florida.

Also, here's a little bit of background info about myself: I am 27, hospitality background (bartender), and currently a pre-nursing student. I currently work as a Nursing Assistant at a local hospital too.

I am open to all suggestions and ideas.

Thank you in advance for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 02:12 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Come on over!

Are you already in the process of transferring to a school here? I'd say try to get into a program in the city if you can, so you can live in the city without a 30-minute+ commute over Lake Washington. I'm talking in terms of activities and vibe for a younger person --- the suburbs here do have surprisingly decent bus systems, but the one in the city is better and then you can also bike and walk places.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:00 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
I’m born and raised in Miami (parents still live there) and in Seattle 32 years now. I don’t miss the humidity, don’t miss the aggressive drivers and can’t imagine living (ever again) in a place without mountains.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:09 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Leave the crazy behind?

Old 04-11-2021, 11:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Leave the crazy behind?
Saying that from the land of serial workaholics, serial killers, and the former sovereign state of CHOP/CHAZ?

Old 04-11-2021, 11:51 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Saying that from the land of serial workaholics, serial killers, and the former sovereign state of CHOP/CHAZ?
Thatguy, I don’t think you really get how weird Florida is. Check these stories out. https://www.boredpanda.com/hilarious...mpaign=organic

Old 04-12-2021, 04:34 AM

8 posts, read 7,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Leave the crazy behind?
Precisely!

Old 04-12-2021, 09:12 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Heh, yeah. A different brand of crazy. When in Rome...

Old 04-12-2021, 09:18 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Consider the possibility, that for some, it would be an improvement over the Land of George Zimmerman, and ilk.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:27 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
The important thing for you to figure out, OP, is whether, as a student, even a well-employed student (way to go!), can you afford Seattle. Without a car, it will be more affordable, but still, the rents are ridiculously high. You should resign yourself to either living in a shared household (normal for students, basically), or an "apodment" (a dorm-style arrangement, where several bedroom/bath suites share a living room & kitchen; there are several buildings of these around town), or a 250 sq. foot micro-apartment. I strongly suggest you opt for whichever of those arrangements is cheapest, to minimize stressing out about money.

Do you know what school you were considering, for nursing school? Were you thinking, the UW? It has its own hospital, so that could work.

People talk about the grey skies and short winter days (it's dark when you go to work/school, and dark by 4:30, when you go home), but in your 20's, it shouldn't faze you. It didn't faze me a bit, when I lived there. The key is to get outside in winter, in what daylight there is, and be active: walking, biking, hiking, skiing, whatever. Anything. Just get out there, unless it's pouring rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area