Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 12:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times

Advertisements

Your post is pretty much just your extended soliloquy on how much you like your car. That's fine, nothing wrong with that.

I don't think Metro service has gone downhill. Yes, there have been some temporary service changes related to the pandemic and changed commuting patterns... do you have any other claims other than that? Or ... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 10:25 AM

1,155 posts, read 963,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
When I moved to seattle northgate in July 2015 my methods of transportation back in those days was king County metro,sound transit buses, link and uber.

Due to covid public transportation in seattle got cut service wise and uber as well as lyft trippled their prices.

So my solution in May 2021 was to get a car. My car is a brand new Ford escape.

Since I got my new car in May I haven't been on a public bus or light rail either. I don't miss king county metro or link light rail.

I also don't miss those expensive uber and lyft rides.

Having a car has made my life much much easier. To see my friends in Bellevue without traffic it's now an east freeway drive without traffic.

If I want to go to Lynnwood or alderwood mall it's an easy 10 to 15 minutes down the 5 freeway from northgate seattle.

When I had no car I couldn't get to Lynnwood by bus unless I wanted to go to downtown seattle first.

Luckily enough as a birthday gift my parents in California bought me a brand new Ford escape.

In May we drove the ford escape from southern California to seattle up the 5 freeway.

Buying groceries is such easier for me now.

Even though local politicians want people in seattle to give up their cars and use public transportation it's not realistic.

Unfortunately I have learned that to live in most areas of seattle a car is needed to get around.

Have other people found it impossible to live in seattle without owning a car??

Im glad to pay for a parking spot in my apartment complex for the convenience of having a car.

Filling my car up with gas and paying insurance is much less money than I spent on uber and lyft per month.

It's sad that public transportation doesn't work well for most people in king county.

Even though this is a different topic the link light rail going from northgate seattle to downtown that opens October 1st 2021 is worthless in some ways. The reason why I say it's worthless is because downtown seattle is unsafe and many bussiness have left downtown seattle.

It's seems that Bellevue and Lynnwood are the new shopping, restuarant and movie theater place for seattle residents. Is it just me or is this reality??
We all take King County Metro in my family. I haven't noticed any service going downhill. The only difference now is that everyone wears masks.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
I no longer live in King county, but I can assure you the pandemic has reduced the level of service in almost every industry. If Metro is an exception, more power to them.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:52 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Seems to have more scofflaw riders. From HS students to the usual homeless.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:52 PM

53 posts, read 44,315 times
For folks that work in the city, Seattle makes having a single car per family feasible. Take transit to the office and nearby spots, and use a car for cross-town trips, large errands, and out of town travel. It’s also quite nice having a night out without worrying about parking or driving after having a glass of wine.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:39 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,927,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrocer View Post
For folks that work in the city, Seattle makes having a single car per family feasible. Take transit to the office and nearby spots, and use a car for cross-town trips, large errands, and out of town travel. It’s also quite nice having a night out without worrying about parking or driving after having a glass of wine.
The bus may be good for going to downtown seattle and Ballard where it's hard to find parking.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:42 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Quote:
That's my experience as well. I live alone but myself and a couple friends share a car. It floats between our houses/apartments. We split the costs, and prioritize whoever needs it for certain tasks, work, errands, or socializing. The other days we get along just fine with walking, the bus, and light rail!

Old 09-09-2021, 01:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
That depends on where in Seattle you work, and your mobility. Where I work, for example, requires a 1 mile walk from the nearest bus, and for some that take a ferry in, it's a mile walk to the office. Not everyone working in an office is up to that much of a walk every day, especially in the winter. Fortunately my employer provides free parking in a secure garage, though my reason for not making that walk is not poor bus service, but the homeless and criminal activity along the walk.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:52 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
Their trip planner app. is pretty nice. I was trying it out today.

https://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/#/app/tripplanning

Old 09-15-2021, 08:00 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,425,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I work in Seattle but would never think of going back there on the weekend or staying for the evening. All of our shopping and entertainment is on the eastside, except for 1-2 baseball games/year.
Your loss. Seattle has awesome parks and has some very nice restaurants for the weekends and evenings. The ferries are also tremendous. You make it sound like it’s no mans land and that you have everything Seattle offers on the Eastside, which is just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area