Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 12:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times

Advertisements

Headed to Seattle late December for a few days. My husband and I generally enjoy walking around neighborhoods eating drinking, museums, arts districts, etc, etc. Where is a good area to stay? Would a rental car be useful? Can't miss things to see or do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 12:36 PM

153 posts, read 131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Headed to Seattle late December for a few days. My husband and I generally enjoy walking around neighborhoods eating drinking, museums, arts districts, etc, etc. Where is a good area to stay? Would a rental car be useful? Can't miss things to see or do?
Stay in cap hill, Fremont, Queen Anne. If you’re gonna stay in the city I recommend not getting a car. However you’re coming during rain and cold season so, get a car if you’re not cool with being wet and cold while going places lol.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
I'd sign up for a zip car account now. You can stay in the city and won't need a car but if you decide to spend 1-2 days exploring other areas where cars are useful, you can just grab a zip car and not have to worry about it too much. You can also use Gig Car but occasionally they are less reliable (as far as access points). You could sign up for both so you're covered. We also have floating bike and scooter shares if you are so inclined. They make traveling between the urban neighborhoods pretty easy, for the most part. For farther travel (like between downtown and Ballard) I'd recommend catching a city bus.

Good neighborhoods for eating/drinking are Capital Hill, Ballard, Fremont, Columbia City, Queen Anne, Belltown, and downtown (particularly around Pike Place, ish).

Museums are kind of scattered around, everywhere from the International District to South Lake Union to First Hill to Ballard. Here's a list of some of my favorites in no particular order
- Nordic Heritage Museum
- MOHAI
- MoPoP
- Wing Luke
- Asian Art Museum
- Seattle Pinball Museum
- Frye Art Museum
- Museum of Flight
- Chihuly Garden & Glass
- Northwest African American Museum
- Seattle Art Museum (SAM)
- Burke Natural History Museum
- Center for Wooden Boats
- Duwamish Longhouse & Cultural Center
- Klondike Gold Rush Museum (it's a National Park and it's downtown! So neat)

For can't miss? Honestly going up in the Space Needle is actually really fun, and a great way to see the city. You can pretty much just show up whenever and buy tickets there. If you're doing that you may wanna look at the Seattle City Pass which bundles a few different experiences into one ticket price.

December is tough because it will be rainy and gray, so a lot of our recommendations (regional parks, ferry rides, hikes) are less useful. We do have a lot of great coffee options, though: Victrola, Capital Coffee Works, Dolce Vita just to name a few. (Also, if you're into Starbucks, the Starbucks Roastery at Pike & Minor is fun.)

You'll probably want to bring a good rain coat (or head over to the REI flagship store downtown once you get here). Pro tip, most Seattlites don't use umbrellas, they're just too bulky and awkward for the kind of rain we get. A good hooded, wet weather coat will do you much better!

Old 09-22-2021, 01:36 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
Don't rent a car if just a few days and you like to walk. So much of what's worth seeing is walkable, but dress appropriately. Locals wear rain coats more than umbrellas, but nobody will care if you use umbrellas too. Wearing the right shoe if walking a lot and in the rain is important. Not sure where you're coming from, but it's pretty casual here. My waterproof merrills and keens have served me well in all our local museums, markets, attractions and restaurants. We have the flagship REI down town for a good reason!

Keep in mind that in December it will get dark early compared to the rest of the continental US. You might plan some of your activities accordingly. The sun will set around 4:30 and if there is dense cloud cover (good chance) it means that headlights and streetlights will be on even earlier. On the darkest days (usually December) they can be on all day.

It's a great time to visit... or used to be??? Pre-Covid we would check out the gingerbread exhibit at the Sheraton lobby and enjoy holiday offerings around the Armory. That was the time of year we tended to go to Pike Place versus the summer. We never did the Argosy Christmas boat tour, but always wanted to....

You want to know my absolute favorite holiday in Seattle? It's not in Seattle! You don't need a car, but a passport!- taking the Victoria Clipper to Victoria BC.. a cute, walkable town and the light tour at the Butchart Gardens (included in many tour packages) is very nice.

[url]https://www.clippervacations.com/victoria-packages/seattle-victoria-overnight-butchart-gardens/[/url]

Old 09-22-2021, 01:45 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
Don't miss Wing Luke Museum in the International District, very good! I think Queen Anne would be a nice central location to get you close to many things, preferably Lower Queen Anne.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Thank you to all for the great advice and tips! Now I know where to start.

And I am not so worried about weather, as my husband and I seem to bring gorgeous weather to wherever we travel (really, it's very odd but it's true), so you all should expect it to be 72 and sunny the last week of the year. Oh, but there was that one time we went to Montreal and there was a blizzard, so I will definitively pack a rain coat and rubber boots to be safe.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
I want snow.
Could ya hook a Brutha up?

Old 09-23-2021, 03:58 AM

61 posts, read 39,963 times
Rent a car. Don't walk unless you're looking to get shanked by homeless trash.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:07 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
That is not an accurate representation of Seattle. Thousands of people walk around the city every day. OP, you will be fine. There is a very loud contingent of people on this forum who hate the city. Don't pay them any mind.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:32 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,633 times
With only a few days a car is unnecessary. Belltown is a good area that keeps you close to Westlake Center for transportation with the light rail and monorail as well as Pike Place Market. There are also fewer homeless in the area just north of the downtown core. It’s a very walkable area with some great casual restaurants. Staying anywhere other than the downtown area will require some kind of transportation, car rental, taxi/uber/lyft, bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area