Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 03:04 PM

194 posts, read 194,595 times

Advertisements

I just got a letter in the email and got summoned for jury duty. I've got called in before a few years ago, so I've done my part for civic duty.

Honestly serving this time would be a serious financial hardship. Not only am I a healthcare provider and my patients are counting on me for health care, but I own my own medical/dental business and my employees depend on me for income. Plus I'm dealing with severe staff shortage and I have child care duties at home.

Going to jury duty would literally be a serious financial and child care hardship.

Any advice on how to be excused from jury duty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 03:09 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
I just don't think I can be fair and impartial.

That is all you have to say... if the Judge doesn't kick you... counsel will

Old 09-25-2021, 04:22 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
If you talk, you walk. I'd say speak your mind.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:35 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If you talk, you walk. I'd say speak your mind.
I'd be dismissed so fast I wouldn't have to feed the parking meter.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:53 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I just got a letter in the email and got summoned for jury duty. I've got called in before a few years ago, so I've done my part for civic duty.

Honestly serving this time would be a serious financial hardship. Not only am I a healthcare provider and my patients are counting on me for health care, but I own my own medical/dental business and my employees depend on me for income. Plus I'm dealing with severe staff shortage and I have child care duties at home.

Going to jury duty would literally be a serious financial and child care hardship.

Lots of ways. For one thing, you can tell the court (whoever it said on the summons to contact) what you told us. Financial hardship works in some jurisdictions. Another way is to go to the selection meeting, where you'll be told something about the case, and will fill out a form asking questions (you probably went through this the previous time). If it's a capital case, you can put down, that you'd never be able to vote for the death penalty, becuase you're in the medical profession and are dedicated to saving lives. Or you can say you're a Buddhist, and it's against your religion to advocate the death penalty.

Or find something about the case you can object to on moral grounds.

Still, they'd let you off this time, but they'll find a way to work around your objections and find a role for you. They might have you serve on a grand jury, which just reviews cases and the charges once/week before they go to court.

They'll get you to serve eventually.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
I have been summoned atleast three times in the past decade. All three never resulted in having to serve. My best guess is they summon many more than needed.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:21 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I have been summoned atleast three times in the past decade. All three never resulted in having to serve. My best guess is they summon many more than needed.
I've been in a jury selection where the defendant was a minority, and there were two minorities in the jury pool. They just started dismissing potential jurors until they got one of the minorities seated. Funny how that works.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:41 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Quote:
When you sit for Voir Dire. When the prosecutor and opposing defense lawyer ask you questions:

Question:_____?

You: excuse me?

Question repeated

You: answer it

Next Question:____?

You: can you repeat that please?

Question: do you have a hearing problem?

You: oh, slightly.

You will be struck/cancelled from the jury duty.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:25 AM

194 posts, read 194,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Lots of ways. For one thing, you can tell the court (whoever it said on the summons to contact) what you told us. Financial hardship works in some jurisdictions. Another way is to go to the selection meeting, where you'll be told something about the case, and will fill out a form asking questions (you probably went through this the previous time). If it's a capital case, you can put down, that you'd never be able to vote for the death penalty, becuase you're in the medical profession and are dedicated to saving lives. Or you can say you're a Buddhist, and it's against your religion to advocate the death penalty.

Or find something about the case you can object to on moral grounds.

Still, they'd let you off this time, but they'll find a way to work around your objections and find a role for you. They might have you serve on a grand jury, which just reviews cases and the charges once/week before they go to court.

They'll get you to serve eventually.

Thanks, your post makes sense. I'm going to submit the reasons as I stated, which is the truth and being gone away will be a severe hardship. Hard enough dealing with patients and children during covid times, last thing I need is to be away unnecessarily.

If the court can't understand and I'm selected anyways, I'll admit that I'm a med provider and state I can never offer an unbiased point, which is true anyways.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:06 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,861,320 times
Paywall link, but Google blurb suggests that you may be able to make it work. Especially since you own a medical business where you expose the weak. And have children at home.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...xve-story.html

Can you blow off jury duty if you're worried about COVID-19?

Apr 1, 2021 — Authorized excuses include a positive COVID test, waiting for test results, self-quarantine, symptoms, and being in a high-risk group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area