Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 07:08 PM

1,348 posts, read 708,307 times

Advertisements

visit the homeless city of seattle tents trash displaced humans everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 12:00 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
UPDATE:

So I have nixed the idea of driving up the coast. Maybe another time. Tix have been purchased. We fly into Portland on July 26th (this was done so I could attend the Oregon Brewers Festival there the weekend of the 28th-30th. We will be leaving Portland the morning of the 31st and coming up to Seattle, most likely via Flixbus or Amtrak. Then we will be in Seattle area through July 5th. Scoping out Air Bnb's in Seattle right now.
Awesome. You’ll have a great time. It’s a good time of year to be in the PNW.

And you can still take the Bainbridge ferry if you want to from downtown Seattle, and it’s free coming back to Seattle if you’re a pedestrian. Bainbridge has a pretty cute downtown and some small nature areas to explore nearby. There are also bike rentals if you want to do that and have a completely different experience from Seattle proper for a day without having to rely on complicated public transit routes. I do know there are also buses that will take you to places like Poo Poo Point and environs in the Issaquah Alps area for hiking.

There are other ferries like Mukilteo-Whidbey and Edmonds-Kingston but harder to get to (and around) without a car and honestly, not really worth it if you’re just walking on.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:55 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,903 times
Fly into SEATAC. Rent a car, stock up on groceries in Aberdeen. Base yourself in a campground in Olympic NP or a nearby cabin, air bnb or cheap motel in Forks. Soak up everything on the Olympic Peninsula. Return to SEATAC via 101 down the Hood Canal.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:52 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,312,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Fly into SEATAC. Rent a car, stock up on groceries in Aberdeen. Base yourself in a campground in Olympic NP or a nearby cabin, air bnb or cheap motel in Forks. Soak up everything on the Olympic Peninsula. Return to SEATAC via 101 down the Hood Canal.
Don’t miss the area around Lake Quinnault, lots to see/explore. Ancient trees, hikes, waterfalls, herds of elk and the restored historic lodge is lovely.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:00 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
And just before Olympia, is Tumwater. The Brewery state Park and Falls is next to I-5. The water is natural spring, sweet, soft, and renown. Bring a clean, odor free, very clean jug.
What water are you talking about? Do you mean the river that runs through the park? That's just river water.

Olympia Beer used spring water from wells and, as far as I know, there is no public access to those wells. If there is, can you tell us where to find it, please?

Old 04-24-2022, 08:35 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
The wells are artesian wells, and what makes them different is they just flow all the time, constantly running water.

There's a few of them still around town in Olympia... and a few at some of the local parks that the public can get to... Hopefully still, with everything COVID and otherwise that has been going on the past few years. I have not heard or noticed a change with them and I don't see any new stories. Will try to notice the next time I'm in town!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-24-2022 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-24-2022, 11:39 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
What water are you talking about? Do you mean the river that runs through the park? That's just river water.

Olympia Beer used spring water from wells and, as far as I know, there is no public access to those wells. If there is, can you tell us where to find it, please?
At the pump station. South end. aka "Brewery Park at Tumwater"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEkZR4wyf-M
unfortunately there is still some piping.
Still pretty good.

Info is not useful to OP now that he isn't driving up I-5.

YWMV

Old 04-24-2022, 09:33 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Don’t miss the area around Lake Quinnault, lots to see/explore. Ancient trees, hikes, waterfalls, herds of elk and the restored historic lodge is lovely.
Lake Quinault is kind of a given, IMO. To me it's the best part of ONP.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:37 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,312,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Lake Quinault is kind of a given, IMO. To me it's the best part of ONP.
Maybe to you and me but I’ve heard of many out of towners doing the ONP loop and completely missing Quinnault, or not even know it existed. It may not at first glance be quite as sexy as La Push or Hoh but sounds like you and I agree, it’s not to be missed!

Old 04-25-2022, 10:37 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,280,174 times
This is our plan. It is fairly locked in, with some flexibility:

SUN 7/31: Take the Amtrak from Portland to Seattle. Check into our Air Bnb (still looking for one) and just explore some food and beer in whatever neighborhood we end up in.

MON 8/1-THU 8/4: One day we want to ride a ferry to Bainbridge Island or the Kitsap Peninsula. One day we want to explore Seattle (Pike Street Market, MoPOP, etc). Two days for hiking, nature viewing.

We fly out early Friday morning so no time that day to do anything. I assume with this being a weekday vacation no day is better than another as far as being busy with the different places we want to visit.

What would be the best options for the most scenic hikes for fairly active, but novice hikers, that are a day trip away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area