Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 1,427 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I just wanted to say I’ve visited many times and lived all over the country but still adore Seattle despite the crime and all. I know it sucks because I’ve lived in SF and seen it change as well.

I recently applied to work for the transit system at Seattle for the railway and wanted to know what the lifestyle is like. I currently work for a major transit system in the northeast and have worked in union shops but I am ready to leave this city for a more scenic outdoors lifestyle where I can keep myself busy and where people will leave me alone for the most part.

Is morale good in the metro?

How are shop stewards/union 587? Over here in the agency I am with, I have come to discover that working with your “people” will almost always materialize more favorable results than going to your shop steward. Especially if the foreman is one of your “people”. Though its like that in every job now with people ive kept in touch with here.

I know being a city job the benefits and pension is excellent so i dont have any questions about that.

How is turnover and attrition? Is the job posting for people open ended because people refuse to get vaxed? Or too many people pee dirty? Or just dont qualify for background check reasons?

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 07:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Currently our transit systems are suffering from two major issues, lack of revenue from low ridership, and drug use/crime on the transit. There is no fare enforcement so even the few riders are not paying, and even with the high gas prices people are not riding because of drug use and homeless people sleeping on the bus or light rail. I don't know what kind of work you applied for, but I am in commercial real estate and have hired several people that used to work for the transit system in their real estate departments. Like most public agencies, they do require full vaccination, with some medical or religious exceptions, but lost people because of that. With new light rail stations opening in the next few years, there will be a need for more employees, if they can resolve the financial issues.

https://www.heraldnet.com/opinion/ed...ust-isnt-fair/

https://www.soundtransit.org/get-to-...aches-lowering

Old 06-07-2022, 09:58 AM

187 posts, read 68,384 times
LOL they don't enforce payment! Let me guess, because that would marginalize certain people?

The front line employees must be mentally drained. There have been some really scary situations involved with the metro system, buses and trains. Also note that Seattle has actually stopped growing, it might be temporary but the huge boom is gone, at least for now.

Old 06-07-2022, 03:01 PM

Anyone else with actual information instead of complaints about the metro? I do hear and understand being my city is similar circumstances so id appreciate being open minded to know I am aware of the ridership, fare evasion, and drug use onboard. At least you dont have people shoving women and robberies and assaults with guns. Now this isnt a pissing contest. Can someone kindly let me know if they have any friends that worked in maintenance of rail cars or train operators. They may be called something different where you are. But you get the idea.

Mr/Ms Real Estate Agent,

What roles did they work and what were their reasons if you may in that they sacrificed union benefits to work at your agency

Old 06-07-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Currently our transit systems are suffering from two major issues, lack of revenue from low ridership, and drug use/crime on the transit. There is no fare enforcement so even the few riders are not paying, and even with the high gas prices people are not riding because of drug use and homeless people sleeping on the bus or light rail. I don't know what kind of work you applied for, but I am in commercial real estate and have hired several people that used to work for the transit system in their real estate departments. Like most public agencies, they do require full vaccination, with some medical or religious exceptions, but lost people because of that. With new light rail stations opening in the next few years, there will be a need for more employees, if they can resolve the financial issues.

https://www.heraldnet.com/opinion/ed...ust-isnt-fair/

https://www.soundtransit.org/get-to-...aches-lowering
I will probably be working maintaining train cars and tracks though I did apply to be a railcar operator being that theyre extending the line as we speak

Old 06-08-2022, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
The people we have hired from Sound Transit were property managers, lease administrators, and engineers If you are looking at Maintenance, I wouldn't worry, it's mostly the bus drivers that are complaining about the working conditions, light rail drivers to a lesser extent. Maintenance is secure work, and not as affected by their problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: