Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 9,938 times

Advertisements

hai , iam planning to move from santaclara,ca to kirkland washington.I looked for some reasonble priced apts around twain elementary school. what is scaring me that there are 11 sex offenders that are registered in kirkland alone. More over I see a warning message about it from the police department in the official website of twain elementary. http://www.metrokc.gov/sheriff/. I know that they are giving those details so that we are bit careful about it. but it's very scary for me because i have zero knowledge about the neighbour hood around twain elementary school. Iam not writing this to insult any one or defame any school or any apt community . Please understand me as iam going to move there with my 6 year old girl .Iam choosing that area as the apts are little cheaper (2bedroom around $1200 ).please send me some inputs if u guys can.
Thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,112,284 times
Hi selvi.
Kirkland is a lovely place to live. I've lived right near there in Bellevue for 20 years, and I go very often to different parts of Kirkland to volunteer at a cat rescue shelter, go to restaurants, to shop, and to wander. I can't think of any part of Kirkland that I would not want to live in. It's a very family-friendly area and as a woman I would feel comfortable anywhere in Kirkland.

Have you read the "Great Schools" report on Twain Elementary? The report looks very favorable. Here it is:
Twain Elementary School - Kirkland, Washington - WA - School overview

Old 05-24-2008, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,938 times
THANKS FOR UR REPLY. IAM BIT RELEIVED.I CHECKED THE GREATSCHOOL.NET WEBSITE ALREADY . RATING IS 9/10. SO IAM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SCHOOL.IT'S ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE NEIGHBOURHOOD .DID U GET TO CHECK THE LINK I SENT?OF COURSE AFTER SEEING UR REPLY IAM BIT RELEIVED.IS THEIR ANY ONE ELSE TO ADD MORE INPUT ON THESE ISSUES ?PLEASE ,IAM LOOKING FORWARD.
WHAT ABOUT SHOREWOOD APARTMENTS IN MERCER ISLAND?
I WAS VERY CLOSE TO SEND THE DEPOSIT TO THEM. BUT THEN WHEN I CHECKED APARTMENT RATING.COM TENENTS HAVE POSTED VERY BAD REVIEW ABOUT IT(most of them about poor mangement/maintennance).I REALLY LIKED THE LOCATION.IT'S MY DAUGHTER'S DREAM TO LIVE IN A ISLAND. SHOULD I COMPROMISE MAINTENNENCE FOR LOCATION? IAM READY TO THAT FOR MY DAUGHTER IF THAT IT what DEMANDS.I COULDN'T FIND ANY APTS CHEAPER THAN SHOREWOOD APTS IN MERCER ISLAND.PLEASE HELP ME TO DECIDE .THANKS

Old 05-24-2008, 02:49 PM

Hi Selvi. Please try to type in caps and lows -- all caps sounds as though you're yelling. It's a bit unnerving. Thanks so much!

In my experience on City-Data, everyone who has any comments whatever about Mercer Island has agreed that it is a very safe place to live and go to school. Safe, calm, pretty, with excellent schools. Excellent!

Your daughter might not find Mercer Island so exciting as an island. It's fairly large and well populated, and there are only a very few places to live where you'd actually see you're on an island, and those places are extremely expensive. Access to the island is only by roads and bridges, not by boats or ferries. But maybe to her the idea of being on an island is good enough, eh?

Mercer Island has easy access by roads and bridges to everywhere else in western Washington, as well as all the stores, movies, medical facilities, banks, book stores, and public transportation necessary for a comfortable life.

No one can make your decision for you, but the tried and true method may help you: take a large piece of paper, make two columns, title one KIRKLAND and the other MERCER IS., and write in the columns all the benefits you know for each. You must take into consideration where you will work, because commuting can be extremely slow here as many roads and highways simply cannot accommodate all the traffic that's here.

You can help your decision by searching on City-Data for a lot more information from posters. Near the top of each page, in a medium-blue stripe is the "Search". Click on it, type one of the names, choose threads or posts, and you'll find everything on City-Data forums about those locations.

You might also want to look at City-Data's statistical pages:
Kirkland:
Kirkland, Washington (WA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Mercer Island:
Mercer Island, Washington (WA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Both locations are calm, safe, and have very good schools.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 12,204 times
Default Also considering Shorewood Apts

Hi,
My wife and I will shortly move from NYC and are considering Shorewood Heights as well. I'll work in downtown Seattle; she'll commute to Federal Way. I toured Shorewood and loved it - the grounds, residents and facilities all seem great. However, like you I came across apartmentreviews.com. I am now quite hesitant. We plan to return to Shorewood next month and question residents about Management in case the review site biasedly attracts the disgruntled. I'd be glad to post an update.
Regards,
Paul

PS allforcats, I am long-time reader, first-time poster. Thanks for sharing all your wisdom about Seattle. I have yet to do my obligatory introductory thread "NYC Couple Looking for Housing Location Suggestions..."

Old 05-25-2008, 11:10 PM

Hi Rocmicm! Thanks for your kind comment! I can give you some C-D threads from folks with the same questions:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...g-seattle.html
and
http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...oming-nyc.html

We have some excellent contributors here from NYC and GASP! NJ who really understand your language! Feel free to ask questions.

About "in case the review site biasedly attracts the disgruntled" -- don't you find that people seem to choose to complain more quickly and more often than they choose to praise? I applaud your idea of personal inspection. Have fun!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,360,346 times
Hey Rocmicm!
I'm the guy from Gasp! NJ who 'Cats referred to:
Just for clarification: The Shorewood Apts on Mercer Island is nowhere near the Shorewood neighborhood, which is south of the Fauntleroy ferry dock in West Seattle, west of White Center. Not sure where Shorewood Heights fits in.
Mercer Island is a pretty, desirable, and expensive area.
The Shorewood neighborhood is also pretty and forested, less prestigious, and far less known than Mercer Island.
I like them both. But you might want to clarify which Shorewood we're referring to.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 12,204 times
Default Shorewood Heights in Mercer Island

I was referring to Shorewood Heights Apartments in MI. I pasted links below to the complex and to the not-so-good reviews. Selvi, did you make a decision yet?
I also was born and bred in Gasp! NJ (Hamilton).
Thanks,
Paul

Shorewood Heights:
Welcome to Shorewood Heights
Review:
Shorewood Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Mercer Island apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,360,346 times
For years, the Shorewood Apts were the "slum" of Mercer Island, Mercer Island mostly ranging from upper middle class to very wealthy folks. Mercer Island is a really nice place.
But it looks like they've done some nice work to the complex, and a slum in Mercer Island would be considered pretty danged nice in downtown Trenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area