Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 07:39 PM

169 posts, read 180,004 times

Advertisements

My son and daughter-in-law live in Kirkland. I'm a very recent widow in St. Louis. Once I clear out the house and numerous other things, I'll be relocating to their area.

Does anyone have an over 55 community they recommend, or ones to stay away from? I'm looking to be within 10 miles of Kirkland, and hopefully not spend more than $2,000/month for rent. I only need a 1 bedroom, nothing fancy. Independent living (as they call it) - no need now for assisted or anything more.

I have a list my DIL compiled and will try to visit a couple this winter, and my son is doing some visits as he has time. Just thought maybe someone has insight on communities that like or that I should stay away from.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 08:49 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
There are some in Kirkland itself.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:02 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are some in Kirkland itself.
Timely and amusing:
  • I live in Kirkland.
  • Ran by one such community the other day (yesterday) on an 11 miler, with two young guys in their 30s leading the way.
  • One of the smart____es said, "hey dad, there's your place!" I'm 55 now Nor am I his dad.
  • There was literally a group of seniors on the trail ahead, oblivious, blocking 3/4 the path. We ran around w/o missing a beat. Not all that shocking and maybe it was "big outing Sunday" for the gang.

Like my (actual) dad before me, I refuse to feel like an old fuddy duddy. "You kids get off my lawn!" sort of thing. I do like Kirkland and may stay after all through my retirement years, whenever I choose to start them.

Yes there are various communities like that in the area, Eastside in general.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Timely and amusing:
  • I live in Kirkland.
  • Ran by one such community the other day (yesterday) on an 11 miler, with two young guys in their 30s leading the way.
  • One of the smart____es said, "hey dad, there's your place!" I'm 55 now Nor am I his dad.
  • There was literally a group of seniors on the trail ahead, oblivious, blocking 3/4 the path. We ran around w/o missing a beat. Not all that shocking and maybe it was "big outing Sunday" for the gang.

Like my (actual) dad before me, I refuse to feel like an old fuddy duddy. "You kids get off my lawn!" sort of thing. I do like Kirkland and may stay after all through my retirement years, whenever I choose to start them.

Yes there are various communities like that in the area, Eastside in general.
I do not understand your post. 1/4 of the path was open for you to easily pass them “without missing a beat,”but somehow this is in the realm of “shocking” and “oblivious.” Older people don’t always hear someone coming up behind them. Shouldn’t we be thinking it is wonderful they are outside?

Old 08-22-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I do not understand your post. 1/4 of the path was open for you to easily pass them “without missing a beat,”but somehow this is in the realm of “shocking” and “oblivious.” Older people don’t always hear someone coming up behind them. Shouldn’t we be thinking it is wonderful they are outside?
I guess it depends on which way the older group was facing: toward the runners or away. I assumed they were facing the runners, like so many clueless teens and college students walking together, blocking the entire sidewalk. That's fairly common in places like the U District in Seattle.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:08 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on which way the older group was facing: toward the runners or away. I assumed they were facing the runners, like so many clueless teens and college students walking together, blocking the entire sidewalk. That's fairly common in places like the U District in Seattle.
The OP did not say they were blocking the entire sidewalk, so....... But the main thing that irritated mewas his snarky attitude toward the older people and their "big outing Sunday." Some day Mr. 11-miler will have old age humble him.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:40 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,107,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
The OP did not say they were blocking the entire sidewalk, so....... But the main thing that irritated mewas his snarky attitude toward the older people and their "big outing Sunday." Some day Mr. 11-miler will have old age humble him.
I'd think he would have been just as snarky (being funny?) if it was a bunch of teenagers blocking 3/4 of the path. I run too, at 62. I always have to be wary of any group of people, oblivious and blocking most of a path. You never know when one of them will suddenly move into the rest of the path right in front of you, or worse, let their dog cross in front of you. Age, young or old, doesn't make you constantly aware of your surroundings... including me sometimes.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:29 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
JMO,
get an apartment in the Redmond (flats, not the uplands). Many just completed apartment building, new 1-3 year old, +7 year buildings, and a few in construction. Move-in specials are being offered. It's flat. Senior Center, Library, QFC, Trader Joes, Bella Bogota Shopping/movie, Town center Mall. Major transit Hub. More of everything and probably cheaper vs Kirkland. Your walk score will be 85+.

Why? Kirkland is hilly except what is near the water. Expensive relative to Redmond flats. Lack of grocery and what is, is expensive Safeway on Redmond Way and not as bad QFC under the Google buildings. Both on the hill. Costco is nearby Safeway but for 1 person, not cost efficient. I imagine most people would hop on the 250 bus (or drive) to either Redmond (3 miles) or to Bellevue (4miles).

We moved to Redmond 2018-2019 from rural Oregon. Now 73/76. Son lived in Seattle, which was little more than 1 hour on bus with 1 transfer. Condo living. Son now lives in Redmond. Works remote although the office is near Amtrak. His wife works Amazon-SLU and takes the Amazon's commuter bus. We chose this place because it's proximity to shopping & services, flatness, and access to transportation.

Kirkland, Redmond, Bellevue, Juanita are local neighborhoods to Seattle.

https://www.zillow.com/b/townside-fl...ond-wa-5jDxs9/ 1 bedroom. 2 bedroom available.
Nice location. Close to shopping Safeway, RossforLess,RiteAid across the street. #250 Bus at the corner along with a Indian-Pizza, Hispanic store, and a funny type of Japanese Restaurant. Everything (nearly) you would want within 4 blocks. Quiet street. Nearby to our place. Walk score closer to 90.

Last edited by leastprime; 08-24-2023 at 09:57 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
JMO,
get an apartment in the Redmond (flats, not the uplands). Many just completed apartment building, new 1-3 year old, +7 year buildings, and a few in construction. Move-in specials are being offered..
Move-in specials are a hallmark of REIT-owned buildings, Real Estate Investment Trusts. They raise the rent annually until it doubles (check their websites; typically they state this openly). Such buildings or complexes are not for seniors on a fixed income. They'll quickly get priced out of their unit, and will have to move. Seniors like the OP need to look for rent-stabilized senior housing. Otherwise, you risk ending up in a situation where your rent goes to finance dividends to investors of the REIT's, and services (repairs, maintenance, management) are neglected in favor of maximizing profits.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:22 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Quote:
Move-in specials are a hallmark of REIT-owned buildings, Real Estate Investment Trusts. They raise the rent annually until it doubles (check their websites; typically they state this openly). Such buildings or complexes are not for seniors on a fixed income. They'll quickly get priced out of their unit, and will have to move. Seniors like the OP need to look for rent-stabilized senior housing. Otherwise, you risk ending up in a situation where your rent goes to finance dividends to investors of the REIT's, and services (repairs, maintenance, management) are neglected in favor of maximizing profits.
I agree, however, It will be tough to get for senior rent stabilized housing within the time frame she desires. She will need to make her own investigations. Knowing that 1 year contract, at a REIT owned unit, will give her a breathing space to figure things out. Temporarily take advantage of move-in specials. 1000 units will come on line in Redmond flats by next April and existing buildings show vacancies that need to be filled-even REITS need to keep occupancy high.
The place I listed is very attractively priced and very good location. Small building size.

Seattle area is not an inexpensive place to live but can be manageable.
as of 8/24/2023;

Across the street from the TownSide flats, is the Delano Apts. Studio $1800/mo. 2 bedroom $2500-2900 plus move-in specials. 300 units? 20 yo. Nice Amendities.

2 Blocks away from Townside-Delano, next to Anderson Park on Redmond Way The Aria, $1835/mn. 1+1. New 2022. Actually cheaper now than when first opened. 110 units, 1 yr old. Very Nice amendities

Between Townside and Aria, Redmond Square Apts. $2050/mo 1+1 + move-in specials. ~250 units, 20 yr old. Nice amendities.

Across the street Bear creek Shopping (same area of these larger apartments) is a small building, +30yo. 2+1, 720sqft. $1950/mn. 20 units? Shared laundry. You will need to walk to the corner where Delano-Townside Flats to cross the street, even though this apartment is across the street from Bear Creek Shopping. Avondale Rd is very busy street.

Inbetween The Delano and Redmond Square Apartments is under construction, Ichiro Homes, townhouses. I suspect, minimally $1.5M.

Good Gawking.
YGMV

Last edited by leastprime; 08-24-2023 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area