Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:43 PM

11 posts, read 15,247 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Greetings from Florida. Me and my mother are planning in Feb of next year to move to Seattle or the surrounding areas. We lived in the Pudget Sound area before many moons ago and have always wanted to come back.

My situation is this and you guys just pick at it with any and all ideas you have and I can use all the input I can get.

I work as a Legal Assistant for a local firm so my job is not transferable but I have clerical experience and would like to keep my employment in that sort of setting. My mother is a CNA so that is where she would be heading toward in the job field.

We have and/or will have about 14k saved up but this will be the moving expense, traveling by uhaul, etc so by the end of things, I will only have maybe about 4k left after everything is said and done.

Ive been reading for a while here about how it's going to do no good to job hunt until we are here so I've been concerned about that as I would like to try to apply for jobs before we actually move. Also, what would be the wisest set up, coming here without a job: look for a job and then set up home around that job, or find a place and find a job around that place? (gees, even I think that's a stupid sounding question but I have to ask it)

Well, it's not the only thing, there's the rental expense, setting up in a new place, my dog's emotional wellbeing...maybe I'm worrying about too many things. Anyway, just want to get your input on some of these issues and pick your brains about what to expect, what you all suggest, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by daxzia; 08-12-2012 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
It is hard to get a job without being here, and almost impossible to rent without a job. It's also very expensive to stay at a motel while looking for work. I would not suggest doing such a move without enough savings to last 6 months, and you are only 1/3 of the way there. Others have done it on less, that were lucky enough to get a job right away, but that doesn't happen much any more with so few openings, lots of experienced clerical workers laid off, and all of the local schools including Jr. Colleges producing CNAs.

Good luck if you do try it, but my suggestion is to keep looking for jobs long range while saving more.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Thanks a billion for the input. Im thinking the same thing...problem is my mother is the one who wants to go like ASAP. It's hard trying to convince her that we need to plan this through. I dont want to go there and get stuck with no job and basically living on a time clock. 6 months worth of savings would be more practical to me. Thanks again.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Tell her about the guy I see every day outside the downtown Seattle bus tunnel. He has a cardboard sign that says "Just moved from Houston. Please Help" and has a coffee can for people to drop in change.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,047 times
$10k for moving sounds awfully high to me.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Hemlock - the fear I justifiable have. I'm trying to convince her to let me have a year to prep for this. I'm hoping she'll give that too me and if not, it's not a bad suggestion to bring that up, hem.

5th gen - 10K is for the whole trip/gas/moving/hotel plus first-last-security on a flat and to be honest, that is the high range of how much it would cost. If I really cut corners with the trip taking 5 days, it would only be about 6k. If I have about 6 months to ready myself, I can have about 16k saved but Im really wanting to have what Hem suggested and have at least 6 months of saved cash for the long haul.

Any ideas how to work someone into waiting at least a year to move even though she believes she needs to leave like now (even though there is no real good reason to leave NOW)

Also, I was thinking of trying to find a 2 bed/ 2 bath apartment for around 1100 to 1200 in king county. is that doable or am I dreaming?

and thanks again for the help and anyone else gives input. this is helping me just by talking about it. im the kind that likes to have all aspects of this life changing event planned as much as possible. unfortunately for me, im dealing with a mother who is on the impulsive side. god help me but i love her. lol

Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
A 2 bdrm 2 ba for 1100-1200 is absolutely doable in King County. It won't be in the most sought after areas, but there's lots of areas where you could find that. Places like Kent, Auburn, Skyway, Rainier Beach, maybe north in Kenmore, Tukwila, Renton. South Seattle. Not Greenlake or Sammamish or Belltown.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 AM

I cant express how much i appreciate your input, ira. and to helm to and anyone else who comments in the future. I've decided im just going to put it off for a year, make a few trips up there, not as a visitor but as a soon to be resident and have enough in savings to last for a long dry spell in needed. if my mother doesnt like it, she's welcomed to leave without me. ill be worried sick but i cant put myself through the worry and at least if she hits trouble, she can come back here. thanks again.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 AM

188 posts, read 515,898 times
I may be naive, but I've heard finding a job anywhere is hard unless you are there. In my experience I don't find that the case. I'm sure many companies might overlook people from out of town, but if your resume and experience is stellar... perhaps not listing your current address might be helpful. Also, if a license is required (like in my profession), get it so you can show intent. I was able to a ton of job offers in NYC while living in Phoenix. Again this is purely anecdotal, but perhaps if you fly in and visit a few places out of interest or interviews maybe you'll find an employer to take a chance.

As for your mom... try travel nursing. I don't know if it applies to CNA, but it might... and that would for certain get you guys up there with a place to start! Good luck as I plan on moving up next year!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM

thanks saritcher! I'm thinking of making two trips up. one in the middle of the year wait to look around, get a feel and another right before i make my move to set up interviews and whatnot. i think im going to just stick it out for a year and get my savings together the way I am hoping. thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area