Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:57 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedtribulations View Post
Hi guys, I just wanted to know from those of you in the area about the giant house spiders that make their home in the PNW. Are they really around every year, in every house? I googled them and they look TERRIFYING. I have visited Seattle and absolutely loved it (weather and all) and would really like to make the move but have been completely afraid of spiders - even small ones - my entire life. I'm afraid that this would be the dealbreaker for me (as opposed to the gray and rain or "Seattle freeze"), as crazy as it seems. Coming from the Northeast, I have never even been in the vicinity of an insect that large. I fear if I ever stumbled across one of those guys just hanging around my house, I might have a heart attack. It sounds extreme but it's just the way I've always been. Please let me know if these are really as prevalent as I am perceiving, and if they are, how on Earth does one go about dealing with them? Thank you!
I have the same phobia. I think you are referrring to Hobo Spiders and yes they are ugly. In three years in Seattle I only had one encounter- in my bathroom when construction was occurring on the lower floors of my building and they were waterproofing in addition to running jackhammers. It appears they disturbed the spider nests and they made a beeline to the upper floors and into the apartments. It freaked me out but I lived through it.

Hobo spiders are very similar to Wolf Spiders as far as where they reside (not how they look) but I understand that Hobo Spiders are poisonous where the wolf spider is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:45 PM

141 posts, read 428,095 times
I just googled hobo spider and gagged. Perhaps you could get an apartment on an upper floor somewhere? You're far less likely to see a spider of that sort or centipedes if you're a few floors up. But yeah, compared to Texas.... it's not that bad.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 PM

224 posts, read 405,544 times
Yes, there are spiders there. The ones I saw on a regular were 'black'..I can remember not wanting to go to sleep until I killed one, I had to know it was dead. I saw them a lot at times...

Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Uh oh!

Do they really look like THIS:

http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/nat...cs/fhsspid.jpg

It looks like a tarantula! So creepy!
YEP, that is what they remind me of...taranutlas!...except they look totally jet 'black'.............EEEEWWW..

Old 07-03-2009, 03:09 PM

14 posts, read 91,858 times
Oh gosh. I am really nervous now...

Old 07-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Oh gosh. I am really nervous now...
They are not near as hairy as a tarantula, they more take the shape of them. Not the brown wood spiders I am use to here in Florida that is for sure.

I did see them about maybeeeee...twice a month...I had to kill one an average of twice a month.

But, I remember seeing most of them around the bathroom area......and I hear they will jump at you, though I did not experience that.

I have seen the baby ones and the big ones...Don't be scared though, you will get use to them.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:22 PM

14 posts, read 91,858 times
I thought they only come in during the summer?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
No, they are out before that. I only lived in Seattle for seven months exactly and that was from the end of Sept-May of this year.. and I saw spiders off and on during those months. I left before the summer even got here, and I did hear that MORE come out during the summer.

But, I saw at least one spider a month, at least one..

I don't remember seeing any when it snowed though, now that I think about it..But, lets say at least five months I was there, I saw them..

Old 07-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Please do not let these critters me a deal breaker for you. Seattle is a lovely place, I think the prettiest city in this country, at least on the top ten list as far as I am concerned..Expensive though... I love it and miss it so much. Hoping I will move back there by the end of this year.

Some people do not see them as much.

The truth is, the spiders I see in Florida are much LARGER and thinner..they have needle like legs... , but the ones in Seattle seem 'thicker' in size....but much smaller than the ones here..

I am actually more afraid of the ones I see here in Florida than those in Seattle, and I think it is the size.

If you can get us to the hillyness of Seattle and it is hilly compared to the basically flat East coast, you can deal with seeing a spider every now and then...I actually came to love the hills except when I wanted to go for a walk and realized I have to go to Seward Park to walk.. (which btw is beautiful and what made me fall in love with Seattle, besides Mt.Ranier ) They have a lot of parks though........

Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 PM

35 posts, read 106,166 times
I see these monsters in the house every year. they aren't hobo's they are giant european house spiders. I've never lived in a house that didn't have them. they go racing thru the living room, thru the kitchen on ceilings and in your bed. ( I found four in my bed once. that nearly gave me a heart attack.) we do have spiders here. there's even the occasional black widow that you see. we do have hobos but the european housespiders tend to eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area