Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,465,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Hopefully I won't see any of those either.

I would agree with the comment in that article about this being a comparative "paradise" from a spider/bug standpoint. I spent much of my life in Arizona, where venomous and/or creepy critters like scorpions, black widows, tarantulas and big centipedes can be pretty common.

I guess I shouldn't complain about spiders and slugs after reading the critters you had to deal with in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
I wasn't scared of spiders until I read this thread..Thanks..thanks a lot, lol.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
The hobo spider (Tegenaria agrestis) and giant house spider are both transplants from Europe. They made it to the PNW around 1900 via ships traveling between continents. The hobo spider is venomous and has been linked to some incidents of tissue necrosis (though this is in dispute) similar to the Brown Recluse (which does not live in the PNW) and rarely, the wolf spider, thought the current thinking is that these were extreme localised reactions rather then a necrotising venom. The hobo spider is generally not aggressive unless protecting an egg sac.

The giant house spider (Tegenaria duellica) does not have a medically significant bite to humans, causing nothing other then some pain and redness. The venom is potent towards insects but to date there are no medically signifiant bites to humans noted.

Edited to add: the hobo spider population appears to be on the decline in the PNW, likely due to competition with the giant house spider.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM

653 posts, read 1,803,063 times
If you don't like spiders, you shouldn't move here. Spiders eat all kinds of nasties, like bedbugs, aphids, ticks, etc.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 PM

202 posts, read 240,139 times
Okay, I just read this thread. I have severe arachnophobia. I was scared to scroll down the pages for fear there would be a picture! In CA, I *rarely* saw more than a small house spider. One incident with a tarantula, one with a black widow, in 32 years. After moving to SC, I've had my share of horrifying encounters with wolf spiders in the last 7 years. I thought I would die from sheer fright! So planning our move to WA and thinking there were nothing more than small house spiders, just to read this thread and discover that's not the case after all, is devastating!!! Is it really that bad there? Surely it can't be as bad as the south?!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 AM

579 posts, read 1,210,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
They have picked up recently around our house too. My husband sprayed yesterday, there was a huge one on our door, I think it was an Orb Weaver, and a ton of other smaller black and brown ones in basement and near the attic rooms.........but my son was bit by something during football practice the other day. He felt the sting, looked down and there was a little blood trickle. I can see the puncture and it's a typical itchy red lump. I've been putting Caladryl on it, just can't figure out what kind of spider would be sitting in the grass. It's not a wasp sting or anything. Just thought the field was a weird spot. I have indoor cats......luckily they are my little spider hunters
I'm quoting myself here to reference the above bite my son got. It is now almost faded, it's still visible, was really swollen and red for 2 weeks........now my husband is bit. He went running really early the other morning and hit a cobweb on a bush and came home with a bite. I went outside, and started poking around. The spiders are building huge webs between trees or bushes or flowers, that connect to the next tree or railing over. You can't really see them so you accidentally walk through them. Between my neighbors and I, we have spiders in webs all over the bushes in the front. In the middle of each web is the spider, and based on photos I've seen online, I think they are orb weavers, they are striped.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
Spiders 3D Movie Poster - Internet Movie Poster Awards Gallery

Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM

653 posts, read 1,803,063 times
The Hobo Spider's web is funnel-shaped. So if you see a web with a hole in the center, sort of funnel-shaped, look out.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
The Hobo Spider's web is funnel-shaped. So if you see a web with a hole in the center, sort of funnel-shaped, look out.
The hobo and giant house spider are both funnel web spiders. Orb weaver spider (Araneidae) venom isn't clinically potent but as they tend to be big spiders they can deliver painful bites.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM

43 posts, read 87,288 times
I posted this in another thread, but my very favorite resource for identifying creepy-crawlies is whatsthatbug.com. They have a ton of photos and information, so if anybody is ever dubious about a houseguest's proper taxonomy, I highly recommend it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area