Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times

Advertisements

Old stereotype, and increasingly untrue. The eastside has become quite diverse, particularly with people of Asian descent, and the politics are different than before. The eastside voted something like 57 or 58% for Obama in 2008 while returning the Republican Reichert (running as a moderate) to his 8th District seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Like most of the Eastside, Newcastle is predominantly conservative and not very diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 AM

42 posts, read 231,085 times
As mentioned, Newcastle is its own town, with its own police force, city hall etc. It's South of Bellevue and North of Renton--around 8min from Bell Square, 15 minutes from Seattle and 12 minutes from the airport.

It is a very cute town although it does not have much of a Main Street--the main town centers around two supermarket complexes. However, in those two strip malls there is anything anyone could need--two supermarkets, a medical facility, a dentists, pharmacy, gas, bank, coffee, vet, nail salon, massage parlor and several good restaurants. The police station and the town hall are right within that complex. Nearby, there is also a shopping facility in Lakemont and just down the road is the Factoria Mall with a Targets etc. There have been significant improvements made to the main road, Coal Creek Parkway, and upgrades to the supermarkets etc. It is a pretty handy shopping center.

Newcastle has many parks, including Newcastle Beach Park and numerous kid parks in almost every neighborhood. Lake Boren is a lake in the middle of Newcastle, and in the summer the town has concerts by the lake, in the large park that surrounds it. The town has a really nice spirit of community--check out the Starbucks in the morning and you will see neighbors greeting each other. It is really a very friendly town.

The majority of homes ranging from $500-$3M...and with some condos and apartments around the center of town cost much less than that... There are some really nice new neighborhoods, most notably The Reserve which is located around The Golf Club at Newcastle. The homes in that neighborhood range from 900K-3M, which is at the upper range of Newcastle homes. The restaurant within the Golf Club is EXCELLENT and the views are spectacular. The Highlands, China Creek, and the Terrace are also very nice, new, upper end neighborhoods. All have nice landscaping, nice play parks, trailheads nearby and sidewalks. A couple of Seahawks live in these pricey neighborhoods as do a few local media personalities.

The people of Newcastle are pretty nice--I liked it better than other upscale communities because people are successful without being particularly pretentious. There are a lot of transplants who select Newcastle because of it's excellent proximity to everything. I really believe that Newcastle is a town whose "location" has not yet been discovered. It truly has a better location than other similar communities such as Issaquah and Redmond. I agree with the person above that said it was fairly diverse and liberal---though I wonder how much economic diversity truly exists...

The school system is split between Renton and Issaquah but one of the crown jewels of Newcastle is the elementary school which opened in 2004. It is a state of the art facility--great new teachers, and pretty campus. I like the school hours--with the day starting at 9:15 and ending at 3 but if you are a working parent, this is an issue.

Hope that helps....

Kiki

Old 11-03-2009, 12:57 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,447 times
I hear there's a nice golf course out there.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
The Sunday brunch at the Calcutta Grille at the Newcastle golf course is excellent. Rivals anything in the Seattle area for quality. Overpriced? Indeed, but quite great.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
The view from the Calcutta Grill is nothing short of amazing. We always take out of town visitors there on a clear day. Newcastle is very nice IMO.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM

8 posts, read 31,986 times
Contrary to what most people are saying that Most of Newcastle goes to the Renton School District....its actually quite opposite. The neighborhoods that are in the Issaquah School District and that attend newcastle elementary (ISD) are.... The Reserve, The Highlands at Newcastle, Turnerberry, China Creek, China Falls, Mile Stone, Olympus, The Crest and all of the city center is within the Issaquah School District. Most of the neighborhoods situated around the Golf club. It becomes renton to west of coal creek and down towards the lake and the Seahawks Headquarters.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM

42 posts, read 231,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle12 View Post
Contrary to what most people are saying that Most of Newcastle goes to the Renton School District....its actually quite opposite. The neighborhoods that are in the Issaquah School District and that attend newcastle elementary (ISD) are.... The Reserve, The Highlands at Newcastle, Turnerberry, China Creek, China Falls, Mile Stone, Olympus, The Crest and all of the city center is within the Issaquah School District. Most of the neighborhoods situated around the Golf club. It becomes renton to west of coal creek and down towards the lake and the Seahawks Headquarters.
that's what I thought! However, when we lived there, our kids were not yet in school so I just assumed I was mistaken....

Can you tell me what you think about the Reserve? Is it still being built out, do you know or are they done? Will the values hold? I saw some nice homes there but I thought *some* were over-priced. Do you know if it's got an active neighborhood? Just trying to understand OUR options as it is looking increasingly as if we are moving back.....

THANK YOU.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 31,986 times
No problem! The reserve is still being built out, but at a slower pace. They are almost done with most homes but there are still quite a few unbuilt lots. I personally LOVE the reserve. Beautiful homes....but they were VERY expensive just a year ago. They have dropped a bit...but are still very expensive. Your paying for the Schools, The Location, and the beautiful home. I would try to go to johnlscott.com and search the map at the reserve and see if theres anything in your price range. Though I would have to say, my favorite neighborhood in Newcaslte is The Highlands at Newcastle. Beautiful homes built in 2001-2004. They are around a million mark...or a little lower. But Not bad. A Great neighborhood and very beautiful during the fall. (just drove up in there). Let me know if u have any questions. Also, Newcaslte elementary goes to Maywood Middle and Liberty High School. Both Provide excellent education and experience.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,591 times
Hi,
We're looking at houses in Newcastle and I'm very interested in how it is to live there. These previous posts were incredibly helpful. We'll be moving from the south and this area just seems highly appealing. Prices and "values" of homes seem more reasonable and we love the environment being at your back door. My husband will work near the Lake Union area. We'll (for the first time) be empty nesters but think having a beautiful home near recreation/hiking areas is critical for our happiness. I'm from the west coast and don't mind living in a more remote area than Seattle proper or Bellevue. How hard will it be for us to meet people of our age group there? What do you think? Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 AM

615 posts, read 1,075,763 times
Does every place in America have to be diverse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area