Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
you are so "fearless" until it hits. When it happens, i think all of us will scream for help and sh** in the pants.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 AM

225 posts, read 644,099 times
So what you're saying is I shouldn't leave the hurricane, tornado, lightning striking, shark attack, and sinkhole prone area I live in now?

Pass the razor.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 AM

159 posts, read 626,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robineli View Post
So what you're saying is I shouldn't leave the hurricane, tornado, lightning striking, shark attack, and sinkhole prone area I live in now?

Pass the razor.
Well, look on the bright side. At least you can predict hurricanes, tornadoes, and lightning, and you can easily avoid shark attacks by avoiding the ocean. Not sure about sinkholes (Seattle's got those too).

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM

91 posts, read 270,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robineli View Post

Pass the razor.
Calling an area "hurricane, tornado, lightning strike, shark attack, and sinkhole prone" is a bit dramatic. Just because something can happen and rarely does should not be a reason to fear for your life and run away unless you are simply a terrified person in all aspects of your life. By your logic I can call any major city in the country "rape, robbery, assault, murder prone" because hey, that stuff does happen pretty much everywhere in the country occasionally(and more so than hurricanes, tornadoes, lighting strikes, shark attacks, and... yeah those deadly sinkholes too!)

It all comes down to what you focus on; I look at the innumerable great qualities that make a city like Seattle so amazing, and you only see the potential hazards. What if an earthquake hits?! Yeah, and what if a meteor falls on your house? Disasters can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone. The point is, are you going to spend your life hiding in exile, or are you going to enjoy every day in a place you love with people you love? That answer is more than simple for me

Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Not sure about some of the opinions expressed here. Perhaps if I keep reading I'll get it. IMO earthquakes cannot be compared to things such as hurricanes, tornadoes or lightening. Those things kill people on a rather regular basis, earthquakes make big news when they kill precisely because they don't kill very often. Florida is lightening capitol of the country, a few people are killed there each year and about 250 nationwide are killed by lightening annually. By comparison the Loma Prieta quake killed 63 and Northridge killed 72. There are hurricanes that have killed more people than that.

I don't think it's such a good idea to tell anyone in Florida not to worry about hurricanes and just go about your life. Especially for anyone who was there in what 2004 or 2005 when the state was hit by a hurricane every 2 or 3 weeks? I'm not even going to talk about tornadoes.

Earthquakes require a different mindset for readiness. Not something that we constantly think about but something we keep in the back of our minds and talk about it periodically. This is what people draw on almost instinctively when one strikes.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:16 AM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You're much more likely to get killed in a car accident than in an earthquake. But you still drive every day, right?

I totally agree......Unless it's a Subduction Event.

Surviving with your life is the most important thing....Never mind the retrofit etc.
And what if your are terribly injured and no way to get proper help. Major suffering and Pain is also a possiblity, with death after living thru that terrible senerio.

I learned "many important lessons" in my youth while Commercial fishing on the Pacific Ocean. Later serving in the US Navy.

Number one is....Mother Nature does not dance to your Drums.
What you think or hope for do not matter to her.
Survival on the Ocean for humans is to be able to see/recognize danger and avoid it at all costs.
Or to put it another way....Nowing Danger when you see it.
Surviving on land is much the same as surviving on the ocean.
How do you deal with Danger...It's a personal thing I guess.

Personally, I have researched enough to have come up with an excellent option on where to live.

No,

Hurricanes
Tornados
Floods
Reasonable overall weather .. low humidity
Safe .. Low crime
Lots of great local grown food
Low housing prices
Low taxes .. in comparison
Good Fishing etc.
Good shopping
Good Medical

Now if I can just relocate soon enough, it's a done deal.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 AM

141 posts, read 435,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Personally, I have researched enough to have come up with an excellent option on where to live.

No,

Hurricanes
Tornados
Floods
Safe .. Low crime
Low housing prices
Good Fishing etc.
Good shopping
Good Medical

...dramatic silence with expectation of a crowd begging to reveal the secret... PRETTY-PRETTY-PLEASE-TELL-US-WHERE-IS-IT! - not telling.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM

91 posts, read 270,039 times
Quote:
I learned "many important lessons" in my youth while Commercial fishing on the Pacific Ocean. Later serving in the US Navy.
Number one is....Mother Nature does not dance to your Drums.
What you think or hope for do not matter to her.
Really?! Because survivors of any disaster or catastrophe would tell you that hope and what you focus on matters more than ANYTHING. The people who live through disasters are not the ones who proclaim "Woe is me, there is no hope, we're all doomed, Mother Nature will destroy us!"; the survivors are the ones who were struck by disaster and said "Ok, now what do I do to deal with this and save myself and others". The former is an uninspired coward, the latter is what we call a hero.

Quote:
Surviving on land is much the same as surviving on the ocean.
How do you deal with Danger...It's a personal thing I guess.
You are 100% right. The point is most of us don't look at life as pure survival; I go where my passion takes me. I'd rather spend a life in places I love, doing things I love, with the people I love than decide that the rare event which may or may not happen every few hundred years should take that away from us.

Quote:

No,

Hurricanes
Tornados
Floods
Safe .. Low crime

Low housing prices
Good Fishing etc.
Good shopping
Good Medical

LOL! You just described Seattle! 10 out of your 11 qualities (no low housing prices, but everything else!)

So no, I don't think you're making a good point for leaving just yet

Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times
I missed two other important attributes,

Small population Approx 150,000
Next 50 years ... Low earthquake risk with basically no Subduction risk.

I Can Not reveal this location. Not after spending 5 years of research to figure it out.
I just mentioned it to show that if you are Really Concered .. there are options.

I will however give you some what of a clue.
It is not West of the Cascade Range, and it is not close to any of the Major Volcanic mountains in that range ie. Rainier, St.Helens, Adams, Hood, etc.

Western Oregon is especially vulnerable as the Subduction fault runs closer to the coast then in most of Washington.
Also large parts of the Oregon Willamette Valley have many High liquifaction areas that are very dangerous in a Large Quake. Most all of the I-5 Corridor
Portland/Vancouver area could lose many of their bridges.
There could also be the threat of Volcanic Lahars in several major areas.

When I look at peoples responses, I see similarities to the house finches that come to our yard to nest every year. They all pick a slightly different area to nest and the chances of their babies surviving varies drastically from year to year.
Bottom line is, if you are a Finch chick in our yard, it depends on your MOMMA's instincts as to whether you survive. We have witnessed many Finch tragedies over the years and in most cases I could spot them right off the bat.
It's called Survival of the fittest.
Another of Mother Natures Laws .. like it or not.

I do not need to be informed on Seattles attributes as I have spent 62 years of my life there. I know it inside and out.
The fact that there is far more Data available now as to the risks and history of the Subduction Quakes, and if you are interested enough to do your reasearch and then make your own personal assesment, it is just a matter of staying, leaving, or not comming. Most by far will opt to stay. That may be a good choice...Nobody really knows when this will happen. I choose to leave and be able to sleep at night without the that concern.
I wish the very best to all that see it the other way.

P.S. You are not nessasarily a Dooms Day-er just because you think you spot a deadly risk to you or your family. The other side of that label is a Fool.
As I look back, I have faced many Dangers in my life of 74 Years and survived them all. I try to think ahead of the crowd to my benefit, but there are no guarantees either way.

Last edited by silverfox; 04-06-2010 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I missed two other important attributes,

Small population Approx 150,000
Next 50 years ... Low earthquake risk with basically no Subduction risk.

I Can Not reveal this location. Not after spending 5 years of research to figure it out.
I just mentioned it to show that if you are Really Concered .. there are options.

I will however give you some what of a clue.
It is not West of the Cascade Range, and it is not close to any of the Major Volcanic mountains in that range ie. Rainier, St.Helens, Adams, Hood, etc.

Western Oregon is especially vulnerable as the Subduction fault runs closer to the coast then in most of Washington.
Also large parts of the Oregon Willamette Valley have many High liquifaction areas that are very dangerous in a Large Quake. Most all of the I-5 Corridor
Portland/Vancouver area could lose many of their bridges.
There could also be the threat of Volcanic Lahars in several major areas.

When I look at peoples responses, I see similarities to the house finches that come to our yard to nest every year. They all pick a slightly different area to nest and the chances of their babies surviving varies drastically from year to year.
Bottom line is, if you are a Finch chick in our yard, it depends on your MOMMA's instincts as to whether you survive. We have witnessed many Finch tragedies over the years and in most cases I could spot them right off the bat.
It's called Survival of the fittest.
Another of Mother Natures Laws .. like it or not.

I do not need to be informed on Seattles attributes as I have spent my 62 years of my life there. I know it inside and out.
The fact that there is far more Data available now as to the risks and history of the Subduction Quakes, and if you are interested enough to do your reasearch and then make your own personal assesment, it is just a matter of staying or leaving. Most by far will opt to stay. That may be a good choice...Nobody really knows when this will happen. I choose to leave and be able to sleep at night without the that concern.
I wish the very best to all that see it the other way.
House Finches...really? Why not Purple or Cassin's LOL I'm a birder and amateur ornithologist and even I have never made such a comparison LMAO!

What you're describing sounds a lot like northern Europe than any place in the US.

Quote:
I do not need to be informed on Seattles attributes as I have spent my 62 years of my life there. I know it inside and out.
The fact that there is far more Data available now as to the risks and history of the Subduction Quakes, and if you are interested enough to do your reasearch and then make your own personal assesment, it is just a matter of staying or leaving. Most by far will opt to stay.
Others like myself may opt to move to Seattle. Having grown up in the SF Bay Area, I understand that earthquakes should always be something that you should think of from time to time (as I pretty much said in an earlier post) but life still has to go on. Yes Cascadia is a big risk and we've entered a period where the likelyhood of that fault rupturing is more likely. However, I live 90 miles or so from the southern portion of the San Andreas fault and that one is about 300 years overdue. When I'm in the Bay Area I am less than a mile from what's considered the most dangerous fault in America, the Hayward fault.

We can't live our lives in constant fear. Living in a beautiful area like Seattle, you're far far more likely to simply enjoy all it has to offer. People like you really make me laugh. I'm not laughing at you, just at the way you think. My roommate is the same way. When I told him I was going to Seattle last year, the first things out of his mouth were something about a subduction quake or Mt. Rainier erupting...seriously?

My point is, if you're aware of the risks and live in a beautiful area, just enjoy it because chances are that's what you'll do all the time.

Last edited by Gentoo; 04-06-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area