Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will it happen?
2 years 5 11.90%
5 years 13 30.95%
10 years 3 7.14%
10+ years 6 14.29%
Never 15 35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Seattle lacks the African-American population required to form a start-up NBA team. I know that may sound a bit on the racially risque' side, but it's a truth of sports.
Trying to figure out what you mean. Do you mean there wouldn't be enough fans because those cities with successful franchises have large African American populations?
The Sonics were a successful franchise, and drew a lot of fans consistently. The Seahawks football team is a successful franchise.
And there are other cities with franchises that have small African American populations. Salt Lake City is not exactly known for their soul music and BBQ. Neither is Minnesota.
I think the arena issue is what caused the Sonics to move, and could keep a franchise from relocating here. The voters here are kind of tired of paying for stadia owned by very wealthy folks. But we 've got the population to support an NBA franchise, and we've got people around who can afford to buy tickets. I figure five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,861 times
Quote:
There are 9 white guys in the NBA? damn, apparently I was quite ignorant. Thank you for the lesson.
You're probably joking, but just in case you're not, the players he listed are active black NBA players who originated from Seattle.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Seattle is somewhat ambivalant, (wait...wrong word, "against" works better) about the public paying for new arenas, as many felt Safeco Field and Qwest Stadium were rammed down their throats. (I'm NOT one of those, BTW). In a strange kind of way, this attitude is in some ways mature, as in Seattle doesn't really need to have pro teams to be considered a major city, like perhaps it did 35 years ago. Again, not my opinion, but a popular one in Seattle.

Personally, I think professional sports are important for a city's image. I believe Seattle will get the NBA back, but I think the new arena will need to be mostly privately financed. This could take awhile, so I voted 10 years. If whoever builds this new arena is smart they will also build it big enough for the NHL, which would be a good fit in Seattle.

Last edited by pw72; 05-18-2010 at 04:54 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 PM

425 posts, read 958,814 times
Well let me introduce you to Mr. Charles Wang, the owner of the New York Islanders. He has been pretty much begging the politicians of Long Island to let him use his own money to not only rebuild the antiquated Nassau Colisium, but also develop a retail and residential center around it that would vastly improve the economy of the area. The politicians have been giving him the run around, and the rumors were swirling about the team moving to Kansas City, Las Vegas,Hamiton, Onterio and the newest has the Jeff Wilpon (owner of Mets) buying the team and moving them to Queens.

Why not Seattle? They want a privatly built arena, Isles want to build a privatly financed arena...sounds like perfect match. They have a good young team, and have the #5 pick this year.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 PM

191 posts, read 510,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
You're probably joking, but just in case you're not, the players he listed are active black NBA players who originated from Seattle.
I was trying to make a funny; alas I failed. The original response to my post was correct; I have no clue. I have never (literally) watched a basketball game.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM

151 posts, read 548,400 times
NHL and NBA are two things I miss from Dallas. Hopefully we will have at least one of them here soon.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
It's hard to say. The city doesn't want to pay for a new basketball court, so any team who wants to set up here will likely have to provide a significant amount of their own capital to do so. Any city government measure to go and build a new one or renovate Key Arena has been shot down repeatedly in the past. Granted much of that is the former owner's greed, but still, most Seattleites are even worried that another Qwest Field or Safeco Field will happen.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,948 times
Doubt Seattle will get an NBA team back. When the Sonics were playing there wasn't a lot of fan support and most games didn't sell out. Only when they won would fans come to the game. That is why Howard Schultz sold the team as quickly as possible to the highest bidder. Most people in the Seattle area just don't care about sports and if they do care its going to be about Baseball or Football. Kind of a bummer considering the Thunder are really good now and Durant is considered to be one of the best players in the League.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Seattle lacks the African-American population required to form a start-up NBA team. I know that may sound a bit on the racially risque' side, but it's a truth of sports.
Portland and Salt Lake City have African-American populations smaller than Seattle and those cities have NBA teams. Minneapolis had an NBA(when the city was around 5 percent Black) team before they became the LA Lakers. They got the T-Wolves in 1989. Salt Lake City got their NBA team from a larger and predominantly African-American city, New Orleans.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 AM

214 posts, read 649,872 times
Screw the NBA I really hope that some time in my lifetime we get an NHL team! I think that there are enough supporters of the minor league teams here that a pro team would have no problem filling seats. I have no clue how many Silver tips games I have been to that have been PACKED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area