Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,737 times

Advertisements

Way back then my folks had an icebox. My father cut squares of ice out of the river and stored them under our house in saw dust. He has ice tongs just like they used in our local Creamery years ago to move blocks of ice around. The ice from the river lasted until late June and early July. It's funny, today that icebox sits in my dining room, having been refinished, and the ice tongs are hanging on the wall in my garage. I still have an ice pick with a metal handle and the words "Crater Lake Creamery" on the handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Most of us have never had to live without running water in our homes, electric lights, refrigeration and a good heating system. ...
We don't realize how hard it was to just make a living back in the 30's and 40's. Many of the things we take for granted weren't available, many of those things hadn't even been heard of, or invented yet. Giving up what we have today and going back to the hardships of yester year would not be easy.
Ah, brings back memories of a brief interlude in a one room mountain cabin, outhouse "up that a way", balky stove, a chill chest, and well water (too much iron content, too).

A good "dry run" is to try primitive camping for a month or so. If that doesn't sour you on the idea, then "Back to the Future", partying like it's 1899 won't be so bad.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgalvan View Post
Hi all, I originally posted this in Rural Small Town forum, but I figured I should have posted something in here.......

Can anyone suggest the best places to live away from cities, close to small towns, in states that that support constitutional rights, great place for farming, or even growing my own fruits and veggies in a little garden, homeschooling is not creepy to people, and so on? In the west half of us from Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, ND, SD, NV...We are looking to buy land in rural areas to build a log home and grow our own food and live in an area of friendly people that welcome newcomers from the city life that want to live simply. with the way things are going, we are looking for a place to live that is full of people that aren't "sheeple" and will fight for their rights among other things. Free states with Libertarians and people that care about people. We are looking to live around real men and women that love the slow, hardworking country life. Will be "living off grid" so places with good amounts of rain and successful environment for sustainable living, and land that isn't very expensive.

Thanks for all your help!
Once had a co-worker who moved to Libby, Montana and had a log home built in the hills, and the local Amish helped them (yes, there is an Amish community there; however, before having negative thoughts, remember that they are very peaceful people who wouldn't bother you). Almost no one for neighbors at the time. It does snow a lot there, though.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Once had a co-worker who moved to Libby, Montana and had a log home built in the hills, and the local Amish helped them (yes, there is an Amish community there; however, before having negative thoughts, remember that they are very peaceful people who wouldn't bother you). Almost no one for neighbors at the time. It does snow a lot there, though.
Why would I have negative thoughts about the Amish? Did I miss a memo or something?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Why would I have negative thoughts about the Amish? Did I miss a memo or something?
No, you didn't. I've read so many bad and derogatory threads on "certain" cd forums, is all, so I felt I was taking a risk in the suggestion. I forget that the posters on forums don't necessarily represent everyone else.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM

I do apologize for that, by the way.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgalvan View Post
Hi all, I originally posted this in Rural Small Town forum, but I figured I should have posted something in here.......

Can anyone suggest the best places to live away from cities, close to small towns, in states that that support constitutional rights, great place for farming, or even growing my own fruits and veggies in a little garden, homeschooling is not creepy to people, and so on? In the west half of us from Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, ND, SD, NV...We are looking to buy land in rural areas to build a log home and grow our own food and live in an area of friendly people that welcome newcomers from the city life that want to live simply. with the way things are going, we are looking for a place to live that is full of people that aren't "sheeple" and will fight for their rights among other things. Free states with Libertarians and people that care about people. We are looking to live around real men and women that love the slow, hardworking country life. Will be "living off grid" so places with good amounts of rain and successful environment for sustainable living, and land that isn't very expensive.

Thanks for all your help!
I have not read all the replies. Forgive any duplication.

I know you said you prefer to be out west, but water is an issue for inexpensive land, and for good land you are going to be paying out the wazoo.

You might consider Arkansas or Missouri. They meet all the requirements you specify except geographic location. I wouldn't discount it until I have checked it out first hand.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2011, 10:16 AM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
You know, I read all the time about the "water issues" in the west. Yes, there are very dry places and foolishly large cities in those dry places. But, I have to disagree with the idea that land is insanely expensive if there is any hope of having water in the west. I can buy 20 rural acres of land right now for 12K not all that far from where I live. True, it's in a dry area. But "flowing wells" are the norm around here. And to my knowledge, there hasn't ever been a problem with a good well running dry in this area--even out in the desert. Sink a well and the problem is solved. True, you won't be irrigating 20 acres with that well, but you could have a sizable garden and animals. Also, you have to understand that much of the west (especially western Utah and Nevada) is "basin and range" topography. You'll have terribly dry desert areas with a lush alpine mountain range jutting up every so many miles. There are beautiful mountain ranges with plenty of water where very few people live. Take for instance, the Deep Creek Range. There is an Indian Reservation there, but other than that very few people live there. Just a few tiny communities. I see places like this in the west as good candidates for minimizing dependence on our modern "machine." It's quite isolated and most folks don't even know it exists. They assume that all of Nevada and western Utah is a god-forsaken blast furnace (which, much of it IS ).

In general, that's one thing that is appealing about much of the west--the lower population density. It's not the case specifically where I live (thus my hesitation on that 20 acres--it's only about 100 miles from this damn metropolitan mess I live in). The farther east you go (in general), the more dense the population numbers are (unless we're talking about the extreme north country). I don't see that as an advantage, even if there is more water.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM

469 posts, read 1,175,536 times
Alabama black belt has a long growing season, wonderful soil, low land prices, abundant clean water, and a state that supports individual rights. Check around Lowndes, Perry, Hale counties in central Alabama.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,960 times
I'm also interested in a partnership with my land....not with the government. I've been studying my checkbook for confirmation that I am, indeed, merely a battery for the Matrix. I have paid more in taxes, permits, and other government fees than I GROSSED....over the past three or four months.

I can only hope that Texas can successfully declare Independence, that would be a short trip for me.

I have been working on going off the grid for awhile. Most would be surprised what that costs:
Solar power....expensive
Batteries....expensive
Wind energy....expensive
Well water....expensive
Firewood....expensive
Propane....expensive
Property taxes....expensive
Gas to run into town....expensive

Buying the land is only the beginning......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness