Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:57 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My solution is very simple: I don't answer the door. Anyone I know knows to call and tell me they are coming. UPS rings the bell, and I hear the truck pull away.

Keeps it simple and I'm not bothered by the religious who think their God is the only one, people selling crap I don't want, and those who want to charge me a fortune for only doing half a job.
I agree with this, but I always have something on hand that needs doing and I am not mechanically inclined. I believe people will work for a fair price these days and I need stuff done. I could use the yard cleaned up (it's half an acre and I am not good at heavy equipment. I have a light electric blower I can't use because I have a pool, for instance. I can't lift a gas powered one, even though I tried and bought one). I could use help with a lot of things. And right now I am paying someone to help me with stuff. Of course, a bit disappointed that he didn't exactly turn out as promised, but it did give me some self-confidence to realize I can rip up an entire room of carpet, padding, tack strip and nails alone.

I think people need to realize it's not always easy being a single woman, if for no other reason there are strength factors and age factors that come into play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
mistygrl092 I'm afraid that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

20yrsinBranson
I know! And I have no one to help me! This is why I need to get into some sort of network and soon!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Let's see, you've managed to attack Christians, gun owners and republicans based upon the actions of one guy with obvious issues.....

Take your deep thoughts to political.
Fair enough, but I do not attack gun owners and believe in the 2nd amendment. Without it, we'd be in serious trouble. However, having said this, guns need to be used responsibly and I just happen to live in a place where you can carry a gun into a bar. Stupid. Also, I really took offense when our Prez visited and people stood outside the facility with AK 47s strapped to their backs. What a disrespect and furthermore not cool at all.

Having said this, I don't own a gun and probably should. They've always freaked me out but at the same time I live alone and God forbid...my two foofy dogs are NOT going to protect me, nor will the police.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:43 PM

357 posts, read 1,019,432 times
i used to be afraid gun and the noise it made. after move out to wooded area it become necessary to keep large animal from my pets, lucky me have a neighbor who love guns to show me how to use them safely. now i feel a little better be around them not froze any time seeing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Fair enough, but I do not attack gun owners and believe in the 2nd amendment. Without it, we'd be in serious trouble. However, having said this, guns need to be used responsibly and I just happen to live in a place where you can carry a gun into a bar. Stupid. Also, I really took offense when our Prez visited and people stood outside the facility with AK 47s strapped to their backs. What a disrespect and furthermore not cool at all.

Having said this, I don't own a gun and probably should. They've always freaked me out but at the same time I live alone and God forbid...my two foofy dogs are NOT going to protect me, nor will the police.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:38 PM

170 posts, read 533,330 times
I have no idea what point your trying to make except that you have some drunk friend.

What does your loser friend have to do with anything?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Something about this thread isn't right.

I gave guns lots of them, and I have a heart people say i wear on my sleeve.

I have run into street people that I didn't like, and or i did like. Once a full blown drunk living on the street took one look at me and gave me a 20, and he was the one panhandling.

Me: I was 1,500+ miles from home with broken ribs riding a motorcycle, so sure i looked bad in 108 degree heat. I took that 20 too, and bought the guy real food with it, another bottle of Mad Dog 20-20 and a coke for me. Ten the guy gave me a key chain in the type he was selling.

But this bit on a drunk with pills booze and guns is just not right.

Misty I haven gone 1 day un-armed since my mother in law and father in law were murdered Easter 99. On the rural 8 acers I live on I carry 1 gun all day every day and when I drive from here I have 2. That doesn't make me a bad guy.

I am sorry your loved one passed. it happens.

My Father dies on my wifes birthday Laborday 97. The next Spring my little brother died on memorial day weekend 98. Had he lived another week he would have turned 40. He died from Lymes. That morning he went for a motorcycle ride, went home for lunch, and dropped dead just after eatting. The next Easter hardened my heart for criminals.

Since i can't plan on when any criminals may come I remain armed.

I do have a beer with meals and maybe one after, but I can't recall the last time I got drunk.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
One more point. All sorts of people will test you at your home and at your car. If you stay helpless and give some heart to someone you have no idea who they are, you are prime meat for what ever it is they really have in mind.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Misty I haven gone 1 day un-armed since my mother in law and father in law were murdered Easter 99. On the rural 8 acers I live on I carry 1 gun all day every day and when I drive from here I have 2. That doesn't make me a bad guy.

I am sorry your loved one passed. it happens.

My Father dies on my wifes birthday Laborday 97. The next Spring my little brother died on memorial day weekend 98. Had he lived another week he would have turned 40. He died from Lymes. That morning he went for a motorcycle ride, went home for lunch, and dropped dead just after eatting. The next Easter hardened my heart for criminals.

Since i can't plan on when any criminals may come I remain armed.
And I am so sorry for the devastation you've had to endure. I can't imagine losing loved ones to murder, and I imagine it would change me forever.

And, of course, your other losses are tragic, but in a different way.

I have been thinking of signing up for gun club here. I don't have to buy one. I can just go check it out. If I feel comfortable, then maybe I can think about buying one. The one thing I've heard, however, is that a person had better be REAL comfortable with guns or it's best not to own one. I've heard that when that adrenaline kicks in, it doesn't always go the right way. That is my fear. And that is why I would think it would be so important to go to gun club and take lessons or however it works.

Eight acres is a lot of land and a lot can happen that no one would know about. I don't blame you.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 11-24-2010 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-24-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
I have no idea what point your trying to make except that you have some drunk friend.

What does your loser friend have to do with anything?
Gosh, I put a lot of thought into this thread, believe it or not. But then I do have ADD (for real and Dx'd) so maybe I do tend to ramble and go from thing to thing at times. Well, I do.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM

Ok, ya gotta love this. Ladies night at the gun club...

Quote:
Women Shoot free!
Female members get a free handgun rental every Monday!
LOL, I guess I'll go. I'm a bit nervous, but I did see that movie with Annette Benning (American Beauty) so why not? Maybe it's time I empower myself and feel safer! If things DO get bad, and I think they will, I had better know how to defend myself!

Gosh, I never thought as a liberal I'd be typing out these words, but it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness