Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM

37,484 posts, read 61,459,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
... Unless you know how to live here, the land and climate will kill you so you are better off staying in the football stadium waiting for the government to bring you water.

It takes years of work to get a place in shape and with enough equipment to produce sufficently to support you here, and knowing the seasons, and how much supplies you actually need to make it through a year.

Where I live, life can be rough in the "good" times. Don't expect to come here after an event and find it an easy place to survive, it isn't.
This morning a lady from a food bank, came by to interview me about our 'Local Food Network' and 'food access' [current catch phrases that all basically mean free food for school children and homeless].

We have a lot of small homesteaders: who produce food; sell it to stores, schools and markets. We have more start-ups every year doing this.

If you want to produce for yourself and five other families you certainly can.

But what are the masses of apartment dwellers [who are not food-producers] going to do in the face of economic upheaval? Make your choice today, for what your tomorrow is going to look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,616,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
After 59 pages of great ideas for going virtually everywhere there is, or not. Here's our plan...

My spouse is going to build us a starship and we're just going to get off this rock and leave the rest of you to fight zombies, or whatever.

The only thing stopping us is this little issue with the warp drive, or lack thereof.

But once we get that figured out it's all good and we outta here!

Now, where did I leave my tin cap?
You think it's a joke. I bet some of those bloated and decomposing corpses in New Orleans once thought it was a joke, too.

Survivors get the last laugh.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,845,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
This morning a lady from a food bank, came by to interview me about our 'Local Food Network' and 'food access' [current catch phrases that all basically mean free food for school children and homeless].

We have a lot of small homesteaders: who produce food; sell it to stores, schools and markets. We have more start-ups every year doing this.

But what are the masses of apartment dwellers [who are not food-producers] going to do in the face of economic upheaval? Make your choice today, for what your tomorrow is going to look like.
Your whole life is about trade-offs. People willingly trade away their own food security and "guarantees" that they would survive a catastrophic event for the possibility of living a life where they can do certain things other than spending time in the field all day with a shovel in their hands. I am not saying it is right but just pointing out the facts. Most people do not actually sit down and consider these trade offs in a systematic way (if they did the whole planet would be better off) but they do consider them. Some people think about them more than others.

The apartment dwellers would sure be up a creek in the face of economic upheaval. However it is sort of a bet on everyone's part - even if it is not done in a sophisticated or mathematical "betting" way - you consider the possibilities and assign probabilities to these possibilities. Then you act on them. Most people today understand that there is a possibility they would be up a creek - they simply do not think it will happen. Should they all abandon their apartments and move on Maine to be farmers? Don't know, I think you yourself would not like that - too many people as it is.

Nature has a way of surviving. Right now it is a race to the bottom, we all live on borrowed time and everyone is frantically trying to do their best to advance their own lives all the while ignoring the possibilities. It is really all a big gamble and just like in every gamble if you turn out to be the winner, you will be the hero, otherwise you are the .....

Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:

One of the factors that makes a bug out location good is that it is a long way from population centers so that people that don't plan ahead can't get there if they don't have a tank full of gas or some other means of transportation.
A location away from population centers is the only location almost certain to be safe should there be a Black Swan event affecting the whole country. Climate makes no difference. There will be adequate resources of some kind when the population density is low.

Quote:

IF the zombie hordes were to try to make it to my area, first, they would have to cover a lot of ground on foot, very little water or provisions, then add horrendous weather and lots of wild things that bite and sting, then when you get here, (if you do) there are so few people there are no huge stockpiles of provisions or hospitals or whatever.

Unless you know how to live here, the land and climate will kill you so you are better off staying in the football stadium waiting for the government to bring you water.
Few would make it as people would after a few days or perhaps only a few minutes local people would simply shoot them on sight. This is apparently what the good people of NO did with a very salutary effect after Katrina.

While military units could defeat individuals and small groups they could not overcome the populace as a whole. Consider present day freedom fighters in Afghanistan.

Quote:

Parts of Maine far from civilization could be safe, but most of the state is simply too close to gigantic population centers. Starvation needs about three weeks to seriously weaken people. Maine will have a survival rate comparable to the rest of the Northeast.

You can defeat your local leeches, but a hundred million more will be on the way. That's a few more than the optimum to rely on local resources. That food bank lady will have a thousand more Democrats with her, all of whom will want your food. We discuss what to do in emergencies. Don't you suppose that the parasites just might do the same?

The only almost guaranteed safe region will be west of the hundredth meridian and five hundred miles from the Pacific Ocean. Even within this region nothing within five hundred miles of a major metropolitan area will be safe.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM

9,315 posts, read 14,925,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliendroid View Post
Texas is probably the only state in the union that is viable in a collapse as a separate nation. Despite the bs you read Texas Mexicans are relatively conservative and without their votes perry would not be in office. Texas has oil, energy, farmland, coastline, and is a federal tax producer with almost no government dependents and most of the state is free from nuclear powerplant contamination risk.
Texas gets almost 35% of its budget from the federal government....

New data reveals amount of federal aid to states in 2012 > Publications > State Budget Solutions

Old 05-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
... Parts of Maine far from civilization could be safe, but most of the state is simply too close to gigantic population centers. ...
The big population centers [Boston, Hartford, Providence, NYC] are not looking to run North during crisis.

I have lived down in Ct, they are seriously afraid on Maine winters.

We have a lot of tourists who come to Maine, some who own camps here; that would never dream of coming here except for summer vacations.

Being within 500 miles of a big city does not mean that the entire population of that city will focus on your location.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The big population centers [Boston, Hartford, Providence, NYC] are not looking to run North during crisis.

I have lived down in Ct, they are seriously afraid on Maine winters.

We have a lot of tourists who come to Maine, some who own camps here; that would never dream of coming here except for summer vacations.

Being within 500 miles of a big city does not mean that the entire population of that city will focus on your location.
Disasters can happen at any season of the year.

The entire population of the Northeast needn't descend upon your neighborhood. One percent of metropolitan Boston alone would be more than enough to overwhelm the local populace.

Let's say that a few suitcase nukes are set off along the eastern seaboard; people will panic and run in every direction. The people doing the setting off could maximize the effect by exploding just one or two every few days or even every few weeks. They could keep people frightened and prone to act irrationally.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:39 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,518,556 times
Except the people in those urban areas are by and large unarmed, and rather lacking in the skills that would be needed to survive something of that scale. I imagine quite a few in the big cities like NYC don't even have a car of their own, much less some extra gas to get far enough from the city. I wouldn't be worried about hordes of urbanites if living in Maine or the Northeast Kingdom in VT. The locals are armed to the teeth and reasonably skilled in taking care of themselves, the invading urbanites would not be. So it's just not something I worry about.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Except the people in those urban areas are by and large unarmed, and rather lacking in the skills that would be needed to survive something of that scale. I imagine quite a few in the big cities like NYC don't even have a car of their own, much less some extra gas to get far enough from the city. I wouldn't be worried about hordes of urbanites if living in Maine or the Northeast Kingdom in VT. The locals are armed to the teeth and reasonably skilled in taking care of themselves, the invading urbanites would not be. So it's just not something I worry about.
"... Gotta spread reputation around ..." blah blah

Our township only has one storefront business, a gunsmith.

EVERY household here has hunters and fishermen. Most homes include foragers and gardeners.

We lose power at least once a month, every month, going back many years. Everyone here is well accustomed to living without power.

When the rivers rise in the spring, our town becomes isolated for a week or more.

OC is popular, CC is popular, Full-auto and silencers are fairly popular. Local moonshine is not hard to come by, the same as bear or moose meat [everyone is fully stocked].

Living here is a set of skills. I am glad I found this place, I would not trade it for anywhere.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:36 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Disasters can happen at any season of the year.

The entire population of the Northeast needn't descend upon your neighborhood. One percent of metropolitan Boston alone would be more than enough to overwhelm the local populace.

Let's say that a few suitcase nukes are set off along the eastern seaboard; people will panic and run in every direction. The people doing the setting off could maximize the effect by exploding just one or two every few days or even every few weeks. They could keep people frightened and prone to act irrationally.
If that happens,. I hope you are prepared to be overwhelmed by the number of people that will flock to your state. You only have around 570k people in your entire state now. That is about how many live in one building in NYC. (Sarcasm).

Survival instincts tells me to pick places that terrorists won't find appealing to target. And sparse population centers are high on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness