Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 09:56 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
why do you think I come here? I have to laugh at some of the "nothing bad will ever happen" posts.
well, good on you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 06:49 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,660,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol @ "lone wolf macho fantasies". As for race wars, I wonder what % of preppers are POC or Hispanic or Asian or Native American, or is it just a bunch of cranky old white folks?

If you need me, I'll be in the guest bedroom...
I know there are POC's, but I don't know how many. I do know that half of the preppers, I have met, are women with children.

Quote:
why do you think I come here? I have to laugh at some of the "nothing bad will ever happen" posts.
I go visit these clowns in the Politics forum, when I want to let my brain run at idle and laugh at them. This forum doesn't run too deep, intelligence wise, but it is night and day better than some of the others.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:53 AM

5,409 posts, read 3,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I go visit these clowns in the Politics forum, when I want to let my brain run at idle and laugh at them. This forum doesn't run too deep, intelligence wise, but it is night and day better than some of the others.
the site is too general for me to be here permanently and there are a lot of negative posts, I manage a prepper forum elsewhere so that takes up most of my time.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:54 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol @ "lone wolf macho fantasies". As for race wars, I wonder what % of preppers are POC or Hispanic or Asian or Native American, or is it just a bunch of cranky old white folks?

If you need me, I'll be in the guest bedroom...
When did "lone wolf macho" become strictly 'old white folks'?!?

Is this from one of those echo chambers?

My family was migrant farm-workers coming out of the Grapes of Wrath migration [from when the banks locked their doors, seized all savings accounts, and foreclosed on farm mortgages]. Camping in a Model-T as they went from farm to farm picking berries, etc. When I was 6yo we 'graduated' up into share-cropping. My earliest photo shows me in a cotton diaper sitting in blow sand with a chest harness tethered to a grape vine, my elder siblings were using me as a row marker. I do not have memories of being used as a row marker, I grew up share-cropping.

Last year I was required to sit through a workshop presented by a non-profit group where they explained that only black people have ever sharecropped. From within their echo chamber, they had all agreed that sharecropping was invented as a method to hold the blacks down. So in their 'truth' no white person has ever sharecropped. And within their echo chamber they all agreed to this version of history.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When did "lone wolf macho" become strictly 'old white folks'?!?

Is this from one of those echo chambers?

My family was migrant farm-workers coming out of the Grapes of Wrath migration [from when the banks locked their doors, seized all savings accounts, and foreclosed on farm mortgages]. Camping in a Model-T as they went from farm to farm picking berries, etc. When I was 6yo we 'graduated' up into share-cropping. My earliest photo shows me in a cotton diaper sitting in blow sand with a chest harness tethered to a grape vine, my elder siblings were using me as a row marker. I do not have memories of being used as a row marker, I grew up share-cropping.

Last year I was required to sit through a workshop presented by a non-profit group where they explained that only black people have ever sharecropped. From within their echo chamber, they had all agreed that sharecropping was invented as a method to hold the blacks down. So in their 'truth' no white person has ever sharecropped. And within their echo chamber they all agreed to this version of history.
I dont know about Lone Wolf being macho, for some of us lone wolf was simply the way things were. I have always been happier being on my own. I dont care for people very much, most of them are too stupid to bother with.

Last edited by bigpaul; 02-18-2023 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-18-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
the site is too general for me to be here permanently and there are a lot of negative posts, I manage a prepper forum elsewhere so that takes up most of my time.
Interesting. I frequent a couple other forums, and considered managing one. I don't have what it takes to do that. I have worked as an intel analyst for a couple groups, but recently decided I am too old and my brain is too tired to do that any more.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Interesting. I frequent a couple other forums, and considered managing one. I don't have what it takes to do that. I have worked as an intel analyst for a couple groups, but recently decided I am too old and my brain is too tired to do that any more.
there were several people managing the site back along but they have all disappeared over time and moved on so I manage the site alone , it dosent take much time.

Last edited by bigpaul; 02-18-2023 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-18-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
there were several people managing the site back along but they have all disappeared over time and moved on so I manage the site alone , it dosent take much time.
Maybe before, but now that I am retired from that, I am planning some booklets (10-40 pages).

I have thought about writing a taxonomy of places (redoubt, retreat, bug-out location, safe room, bunker, cache, safe house, dead drop, spider hole), but would anyone bother to read it?

Example:
(Back to topic)This thread isn't about Bug-Out Locations, it is about retreats or redoubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness