Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 PM

7 posts, read 18,179 times

Advertisements

Since this thread is about a "Top Location" I'm really shocked that in the almost 12 months that this thread has been opened Hawaii has never been mentioned.

Each island has its own climates, micro climates etc. There are locations that receive ample rain, a year round growing season, stable tempatures that only fluctuate 10 degrees throughout the year. Almost all places are away from major metropolitan areas with the exception of the island of Oahu. Most people in the more rural areas are already self sufficient and the people that have been here already have a very close community ties and since it is so far removed from any other land mass in the world, people there are already used to working together for the common good. It's one of the best places in the world for solar power. In addition to the year round growing season there is ample hunting and fishing available.

Yes it is 3,000 plus miles out in the middle of nowhere but remember the OP's statement specifically states BEFORE the SHTF. Plus the fact that it is out in the middle of now where you would have very little chance of getting the max exodus of people leaving the city.

For the people concerned about the zombies...well, you are on an island so there would be a limited number of those buggers so once you killed 'em all you would be zombie free!!

So, what are your takes on Hawaii being the TOP spot? Pros and cons. I look forward to your comments....

Last edited by JustSomeRandomPerson; 01-14-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeRandomPerson View Post
Since this thread is about a "Top Location" I'm really shocked that in the almost 12 months that this thread has been opened Hawaii has never been mentioned.

Each island has its own climates, micro climates etc. There are locations that receive ample rain, a year round growing season, stable tempatures that only fluctuate 10 degrees throughout the year. Almost all places are away from major metropolitan areas with the exception of the island of Oahu. Most people in the more rural areas are already self sufficient and the people that have been here already have a very close community ties and since it is so far removed from any other land mass in the world, people there are already used to working together for the common good. It's one of the best places in the world for solar power. In addition to the year round growing season there is ample hunting and fishing available.

Yes it is 3,000 plus miles out in the middle of nowhere but remember the OP's statement specifically states BEFORE the SHTF. Plus the fact that it is out in the middle of now where you would have very little chance of getting the max exodus of people leaving the city.

For the people concerned about the zombies...well, you are on an island so there would be a limited number of those buggers so once you killed 'em all you would be zombie free!!

So, what are your takes on Hawaii being the TOP spot? Pros and cons. I look forward to your comments....
It might be a desirable climate for some, but unless you're a multi-millionaire, it's really rather a longshot getting set up in even a studio apartment, which of course is not really the place you want to be when things blow up. I think the reason it hasn't been mentioned here is primarily economics. Cost of living is absurd. Tahiti might be great too. Or the Bahamas. But out of reach for most folks.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 PM

Actually, it is extremely affordable in Hawaii unless you want to live on Oahu. You can find very desirable and affordable land on Hawaii (da Big Island). I'm not talking a little 500 sq foot parcle. I am talking acres. The only issue in moving there is finding a job.

But the OPs point was where are the top five best U.S. places. He didn't mention anything about cost of living. Honestly, the only things in Hawaii that are unreasonably priced are: Milk, bread, gas and electric. Other than that, it's really not that bad. Make a few adjustments to your mainland living habits and your good to go.

From what I can tell, Hawaii would be the best place to be in a SHTF scenerio. Less people, more ways to be self sufficient, many things already in place as far as self sefficieny and very isolated. The only real down side I can see is that scavenging would be a lot harder as the population is much less dense. However, overall, I think the chances of survival would be greater in Hawaii and a lot easier to bounce back with the year round weather and the propper planning.

As far as Tahiti or the Bahamas the question posted by the OP was regarding locations within the U.S.

So, thoughts on Hawaii as the top place???

Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Funny you should bring that up.

My daughter just got back from two weeks in Hawai'i. Her father used to live there (military) so they had a LOT to talk about. Like me, my daughter doesn't go for the 'guided tour' stuff; she and her fiancee wandered around and looked and explored all sorts of places, off-the-beaten-path.

She is seriously thinking about buying some land there. There is farmland up for sale, not just the grass hut, condos, or the 3000-sq-ft-rich-folkeses homes. She was all about how our little "mini-cows" (Dexters) would do well there, how everything was so green and growing, how we could have our chickens and even our bees (so many flowers!) and have a really productive farm.

I love her and how she is always thinking about her daddy and me. So we have started talking about how much it would cost - not just to buy the land, but to ship the cattle and chickens over, to get the apiary started, etc. The initial start-up costs would be pretty high. On the mainland, we can get baby chicks 'mailed' right after hatching; in Hawai'i, "Overnight Delivery" might not mean as much. There are restrictions on what you can bring over to the Islands too of course; we would have to look into that. We would have to consider not only those things but fresh water supply access, what kind of power - solar vs wind -, feed, etc. Since the Hawai'ian "winter" is mostly rain, we wouldn't have to consider things like windbreaks and snow fences - but hurricanes aka typhoons wander across that landscape pretty frequently. Also it is a geological nightmare, sitting in the Pacific Basin, with its own already-established volcanoes, the potential for more, and the accompnaying tsunamis whenever Japan or California gets another Big One.

So there are good points and bad points to the area. Remember, too, that if you are in a place that it is less possible to get TO - you are also in a place that is less possible to get away FROM.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:18 PM

I agree that once you are here in a SHTF scenerio.....you're not leaving even if you wanted too. However, the Big Island has never been hit by a hurricane. Doesn't mean it won't happen, it just hasn't. As far as the Tsunamis go, you have to be fairly close to the shore to get hit by them. If you are a little up the mountain you'll be just fine. You can buy baby chicks here for $2 a piece. Many a people give 'em away or will trade as well and I know a few people who have their own incubators. There are plenty of people of the Big Island with their own cows. You could probably purchase them here cheaper than you could ship 'em over.

The majority of the water on the Big Island is via water catchment. Depending on where you are located you have more than ample water. You can also get free water from several locations throughout the island from municipal locations although I don't know if those would be readily available in a SHTF scenerio. The downside of the watercatchment is that you are dependent upon the environmental aspects. I.E. Chemicals in the air, etc. However, I think that a SHTF scenerio is more than likely going to be an economic collapse and not a nucular issue. Besides, who would really want to survive a nuclear fallout anyways?

Electricity in Hawaii is the most expensive in the US. If you can afford it, you want to go Solar or some other green technology such as wind. Not to mention, in the scenerios everyone is talking about would electricity be available if you weren't producing your own?

If people looked at land on the Big Island I think they would be shocked at how cheap it is. There are even some phenomenal deals right now on houses with acreage as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:34 PM

Yes, but ... we would have to look into whether there are Dexter cows there; we are particular fans of the breed. Not just for their smaller size, but their intelligence and versatility... kinda hard to throw over the breeding program we have just invested in, sell out and start all over (we are particularly proud of last and this year's breedings - the bull has made all the difference!). Doubtful that anyone at this point in time would want to buy a ready-made, fully-stocked, already set-up 60 acre farm with enough profit so that we could set up on the Big Island...

It took me three years to find and get this place as well as move 1700 miles to it, and another three to get it (almost) perfect... think how long it would take to investigate, plan and then move to Hawai'i! LOL And I didn't have to FLY the last time! I had/have a three year plan, and a five-year plan...

Lots of things to think about...

Last edited by SCGranny; 01-15-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Hawaii is okay if you don't like Winter (I like having more than one season personally). The gun laws are abysmal in Hawaii (forget getting a carry permit).

Cold climates can be of an advantage since meat is more easily safely processed and stored without power. I don't mind cutting firewood to keep warm. I do mind depending one electricity to keep cool. I don't like warm weather much. Just a personal preference. I understand volcanic activity can be an issue in Hawaii (I've seen cheap properties there that were covered by lava from a volcanic eruption...).

Old 01-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Hawaii is okay if you don't like Winter (I like having more than one season personally). The gun laws are abysmal in Hawaii (forget getting a carry permit).

Cold climates can be of an advantage since meat is more easily safely processed and stored without power. I don't mind cutting firewood to keep warm. I do mind depending one electricity to keep cool. I don't like warm weather much. Just a personal preference. I understand volcanic activity can be an issue in Hawaii (I've seen cheap properties there that were covered by lava from a volcanic eruption...).
That would depend upon what island and specific location you chose. Some locations only flucuate roughly 10 degrees year round so you don't need to keep cool or warm. That is turn greatly reduces your dependance upon fossil fuels. Actually, all the islands are nothing but volcanic rock since they were all formed from volcanoes. Some areas get very little rain, such as Kona, HOVE, etc so all you see is the black lava rock. Move to one of the wetter areas and it's a lush, tropical jungle.

I just seems that in a "When the brown defecation hits the circular oscalating device" (I've always wanted to put that into print - LOL) scenerio Hawaii just appears to be the perfect place for several factors. Some of which I have mentioned and numerous that I haven't mentioned.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
My plan is my in-laws have a place in western NC, its pretty out there, some treacherous roads. It is also located at 3,000 feet and overlooks a lake that is a 1/4 mile away with a few ponds right near by. Soutwest of Smokey Mountain national park. Lots of seasonal vacation homes there, so lots of vacant homes. Since the economic crash, lots are empty and for sale.

Electricity is an issue, it is a modern place but I think its out of the way and doesn't attract too much attention, not the easiest to get to. I also can almost make it on 1 tank of gas. I been thinking of picking up some extra fuel containers.

Even considered going very brave, and hitting up a local airport and stealing a plane(its actually easy to steal a small general aviation plane) I have no pilot training other then flight sim, but I am an aircraft mechanic and know the how to operate everything and what they do.

Also if it got real bad there is a 3-4 acre uninhabitated island on the lake.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/26847_370937988801_533343801_3675651_5083180_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 AM

Lovely. Any gardens or domesticated food animals? (With all those trees I'm sure there's deer and hogs, but planning ahead doesn't hurt.) I'd worry about squatters in those vacated homes, especially with all of the homeless folks wandering about - or soon to be.

The one thing that always sticks in my head when people say that they understand the 'mechanics' of flying is Indiana Jones' - "Fly, Yes! Land - NO!" My brother used to fly his own plane, and I have friends who fly, all without incident - but I have worked too many small-plane crashes to feel comfortable about "Yeah, I could do that!"... Not disparaging you, just saying for me... not an option. DH was AC-frame mechanic, then a FF and Paramedic, and he admits he can't fly one. He would have loved to learn but now that is no longer an option. Any chance you could get training on one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness