Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Well, it just seems to me that anyone with a Barrett .50 would have a large advantage over a wild animal or another human that is unarmed. It may be safe to assume you are not the inventor of the rifle or the handgun nor are you the inventor of the whole principle of using gunpowder, bullets etc. You grew up with them though so you are benefitting from all the knowledge passed on to you - you are benefitting from the smart people of the past. It is highly doubtful that any of us, if born in the wild and left to survive, would have the intellect and the know-how (or the materials available) to build a weapon that would almost guarantee coming out on top in a given situation. Hence, you (me, anyone) are benefitting from thousands of years of collective effort. As an individual you may very well be capable and great (you are right, I don't know you) but bare handed you would definitely not be superior to a wolf or a bear. It is the collective that makes humans what they are (among other things). Yes, they can be individuals and yes, sometimes a single individual can accomplish something great (like invent gunpowder) but at the end all of that is meaningless without the collective.

OD
No tool gives a man any advantage. The man uses his own intelligence to learn the use of a tool to form an advantage. The tool is an inanimate object, and has no power of its own to give advantage or disadvantage. It is the man and his intelligence that creates the advantage. Of course, man's intelligence comes from the God who made him, so we all owe a debt to someone better than us. And to those who came before and left their discoveries for us to use. However, where you and I differ is you see a faceless collective as being the provider of all things, and I see the shining achievements of individuals through the ages, culminating in the huge bank of knowledge and advancement that we enjoy today. I am not grubbing insects from the mud to sustain myself(although I can, and have), not because some great collective implanted their wisdom in my mind, but because I studied nature and the works of individuals who came before me to gain the knowledge, and then added to it with my own discoveries to make my life more comfortable. To credit a collective with every good thing one has is simpy a false humility unless one is so totally worthless and inept as to have never gained anything on their own. If there is no pride in achievement, no ability to bask in the sunshine of one's achievements, you get very little new development. Without a benefit to be gained from excellence, mediocrity rules the day, advancement is retarded, and you end up with a North Korea or something similar. This will be my last post on this subject, because it is clear to me that will we never agree, so further discussion is beating a dead horse and will move the thread even further off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
slightly off topic?
I tried to inject some humor and then bring it back on topic, it didn't work. Once men start comparing penises in a topic the only option is to shut it down. This only tells me if SHTF they will all be killed for simply not being able to shut up when needed. I just hate that the loudest one (probably the smallest ) lives in my state.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:42 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
And besides, where else can you get the short-faced bear in a discussion about bug-out locations? That bear is (was) quite an impressive critter!

If anything deserves to get itself some reintroducin', it's that short-faced bear. And after exhaustive studies, it has been determined that the best place for the reintroducin' is right down thar in central Texas... right in that thar hill country. Ehhh, OD?

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-26-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 05:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
We are joking too, if you can dish it out, you should be able to take it

Anyways, you are on top of the food chain because you are relying on the inventions of men and women way better and smarter than you. That's perfectly OK so long as you understand that fact and are humble about it.

OD
Come bug season we are all at the bottom of the food chain man...... If you don't think so come to NH about mid June. Black Fly Hell......

Love it, swells tourists eyes shut. Locals get their kids bit up early in life and the toxins work less as you age gettin' bit.

For a bit i thought you went on full dose nasty pills.

As for me if it is legal to hunt I have hunted it eaten it and made something from it. If the economy calls for it i will hunt anything else i want when i want to include man. Don't get in heat on that, as i have hunted woman for most of my life so far as it is

gottcha!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And besides, where else can you get the short-faced bear in a discussion about bug-out locations? That bear is (was) quite an impressive critter!

If anything deserves to get itself some reintroducin', it's that short-faced bear. And after exhaustive studies, it has been determined that the best place for the reintroducin' is right down thar in central Texas... right in that thar hill country. Ehhh, OD?
Believe it or not, the bear that used to live in SW Texas and Northern Mexico is making a come back in Big Bend (no thanks to Texas). So, there were some bears spotted up a few counties from Big Bend. Let's see how long they last...

I personally would love to have them where I live.

OD

Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That's a rather arrogant and snotty comment. Do you know this person? If you don't (or have no access to medical/psychological records), you have no way of knowing his IQ or how much "better" (whatever that means) others are compared to him. But then again, I have a feeling you would have said the same thing to Isaac Newton or Leonardo da Vinci, had he/they not agreed with your world view.

But Che? Naw, you'd never say that to him. 'Course not! Even if he didn't agree with you on the petty details. (this line is, of course, yet another instance of humor, frivolity, and harlequinade on this thread and should be taken as nothing more than such. We are doing the humour thing today, verdad?)
That's a rather arrogant and snotty bunch of comments to make...

OD

Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I tried to inject some humor and then bring it back on topic, it didn't work. Once men start comparing penises in a topic the only option is to shut it down. This only tells me if SHTF they will all be killed for simply not being able to shut up when needed. I just hate that the loudest one (probably the smallest ) lives in my state.
You said something about the inability to shut up....
OD

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, the bear that used to live in SW Texas and Northern Mexico is making a come back in Big Bend (no thanks to Texas). So, there were some bears spotted up a few counties from Big Bend. Let's see how long they last...

I personally would love to have them where I live.

OD
Well, as long as they don't scatter the trash from the trashcans, we're good. Bears are interesting animals... if a bit unpredictable. I actually saw one (black bear) last year along the trail I jog in a local canyon near a patch of wild strawberries. However... I wouldn't want to see that short-faced bear MT posted along the trail! Even though it is a rather cool looking bear.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
The more species go MIA, the more the balance is upset.
Adaptation. Humans by nature are expert at this. It's what we do.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
it is really dangerous to take your birkinstock outing to commune with nature.
In my experience, this is the type that screams the loudest for eliminating predators. They can't very well commune with nature if they have to watch for predators. They want to see deer in and around their suburban backyards but then freak out when predators track deer and other wildlife there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness