Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times

Advertisements

Sounds good. We can send our solutions to the White House and I'm sure they'll all be implemented immediately.

Here's an idea: let's stop electing lawyers to public office and stop allowing banksters and lobbyists to buy them. That should solve a whole lot of our problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Browsing this forum I get the impression that some here will be disappointed if things don't go all to Hell.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Browsing this forum I get the impression that some here will be disappointed if things don't go all to Hell.
I can't speak for everyone, but in my case... no, not really. What I do now with food (for instance) might save my life if things do go to hell. I don't know that, but it would increase the likelihood.

BUT, if things don't go to hell (my preference), it saves me tons of money right now. The "preparedness thing" saves a lot of time, resources, money, and headache in the here and now. So it's not just saving for "things going to hell." It's more a way of life in general. For me, preparedness is just the beginnings of an overall lifestyle that I would like to achieve. Something to work towards.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times

Signed,

Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Your all crazy for buying into to the TROLL post as the Op has not replied once in the last month or in the the 8 pages.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I don't care about the troll. I bet he's no lawyer either.
And no I don't want hell in a handbasket, but if it comes anyway I can deal with it very well.

I am simply aware of my surroundings and can live off the land. Living this way has become a passion in a world with laws that make no sence.

To me it's a simple of matter of knowing where my line in the sand is. I took the time to seek out weapons made of paper no civil servant will be comfortable dealing with. It's the law they must fill these out, and so if they obey their laws i am pretty free of them. If they don't obey the law I am free to put up a wild stink.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think you and others who just peek in without following this forum have this forum confused with the media in re: Japan nuclear plants (they seem to be cheering for a Chernobyl type event).

Understand the difference between preparing for the worst while hoping for the best.......and only seeing doom and gloom. This forum is about preparation, not defeatism.

So many people prepare for success only and are devastated whent they fail to attain it (see mortgage forclosures, natural disasters, etc...)

Others prepare only for failure and are equally as mistaken in so doing as those who prepare for only success. Those who prepare for societal failure tend to miss out on the opportunities and growth during periods of sucess or optimism (see stock market/gold run ups).

However, I think most "preppers" with whom I've come into contact, at least the realistic ones, make an effort to prepare equally for success and failure in the economy and society. In such a manner, if the worse never comes one is no more the worse off because the storage of food/water, the production of food/energy, self-reliance, all bear a positive return.

"Prepping" is just a way of prioritizing for survival and long-term sucess, IMO. Obviously trolls to this forum may disagree.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
MO Gal I agree, but you said it far better than i could. My life is such that in wild storms I am equipted and ready to assist others. People will be leaving an area i am entering.

After katrina while people were still getting FEMA bus rides out, and water with food, I was entering the area, simply passing thru, but even on my motorcycle took on labor for outragous money. The people who were not leaving offered me work with money in the extreme.

Since no one else was interested in re-bulding and my needs were met, I stayed and worked. So far that has been the one time I accepted any pay for assistance.

People who took up lessons in fire have mailed me thank you notes. They set up kitchens and cook over coals, after making fires in hurricanes where the power was off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness