Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,399,421 times

Advertisements

I'm going to buy a shotgun and a pistol. Any suggestions ? Ex-hubs took all weapons when I kicked him out, so now I need to buy something. I really like the Kimber Solo 9mm, and the Sig Sauer P290 9 mil, as for the shotgun, I was thinking just a 12 gauge will do, I kind of like the short barrel, is that good for home defense, ya think ?

I will probably start with the shotgun (cause the pistols I like are expensive) and work my way up. So if you have any other suggestions that I haven't thought of please feel free to tell me...thank you, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
I think it needs to be what you can handle the best. Some women can handle a 12 ga. just fine and others perfer a 20. That said, it is easier to find self-defense loads for a 12 ga. I like the Remington 870 over the semi-autos. See if you can find a Wingmaster in the Jr. size instead of the youth if you are small to average build as the LOP (length of pull) will likely be closer to what you need. Unless you are tall with long arms most likely you will need the stock cut down to fit properly.

As to handgun, I'm a fan of the G26 in 9mm, the G30 in .45acp, or the classic 1911.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Maybe you should clarify here...do you mean "home" defense, or "property" defense? Do you want to save your own/family's skins, or protect your house, vehicles, property, food storage, etc?

This does make a difference. What works inside the house (close quarters) and what works outdoors (greater distances) can be two different things. For inside only (to scare away intruders), your idea of a shotgun and a pistol in the 9mm range is fine. Once you step out the door, all that can change.

I've argued this before with many -- 9mm simply lacks the stopping power of say, .45 ACP, or .357 magnum in a revolver. These handguns are no more difficult to shoot than the 9mm. While I would not want to be shot with a 9mm, somebody who's stoned drunk or flying high on drugs will hardly feel it. Which type do you think would break into your house?

As for shotguns, I agree that a pump action is not only more affordable but simpler to use. I disagree that women cannot shoot 12 gauge, and should only consider 20 gauge. 12 gauge has better loads available. My wife can shoot 12 gauge all day long (5'-4", 135 lbs) with no bruising at all to her arm. As for me (6'-2", 230 lbs), the same guns can send me axe over teakettle. It's all in learning to hold it correctly; so many are "afraid" to really push it into the shoulder muscle. It will NOT hurt if done that way.

With any long gun, many women need to have the stock cut down. My wife needs a 12-1/2" length of pull, and when guys use her guns, they find that they LIKE the size! I think too many firearms come with too-big stocks, period. On the subject of long arms, I think that your "arsenal" (?) would not be complete without a good bolt-action rifle, with a scope. Something in the .318, 30-30, or 30'06 range, depending on what is most popular in your area. You want to stick to the calibers that you have the best of chance finding locally, in a crisis or emergency situation.

Happy hunting! (Pun fully intended).

Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,086,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
I'm going to buy a shotgun and a pistol. Any suggestions ? Ex-hubs took all weapons when I kicked him out, so now I need to buy something. I really like the Kimber Solo 9mm, and the Sig Sauer P290 9 mil, as for the shotgun, I was thinking just a 12 gauge will do, I kind of like the short barrel, is that good for home defense, ya think ?

I will probably start with the shotgun (cause the pistols I like are expensive) and work my way up. So if you have any other suggestions that I haven't thought of please feel free to tell me...thank you, thank you.
(Hmmm... a taste for nice guns and newly single? Allow me to introduce myslelf... How you doin'? ) jk

It sounds like you know your stuff. I think a little short-barrel pistol-grip 12 gauge would do the trick. Get the pistol-grip on the pump so you can get two firm hands on it and you'll have no trouble controling it when it kicks.

I've prefered .40 or .45 over 9mm in the past, but ammo is so damn expensive I've been rethinking that arrangement. If you're going to shoot a lot (and it would be a shame not to shoot a Kimber or a Sig a lot) a 9mm might be the way to go. Unless you think size matters, that is...

Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM

25,798 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Ruger SP101 (.357 mag/.38 sp) for the handgun, or similar S&W, etc. Revolver: simple mechanics. Easy to maintain, clean, and use. Not complicated to work on by yourself should the need arise (as in a SHTF situation).

I like some of the Mossberg home defense "tactical" 12 GA shotguns, but most of the big firearms makers have some good shotgun offerings. Again, I'd personally go with the pump style just because they are easier to maintain/repair than semi-autos in a SHTF situation (unless you're a gunsmith). I must admit, though, the "AK" style semi-auto Saiga shotguns are pretty cool--12 round magazine or 20 round drum on a 12 GA shotgun... I've been extremely tempted to get a Saiga-12 . Everything I've heard/read about the newest version Saiga-12 has been positive. Saiga-12 is based on the "sloppy machining tolerance yet highly reliable" AK-47 format.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-10-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,086,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I've argued this before with many -- 9mm simply lacks the stopping power of say, .45 ACP, or .357 magnum in a revolver. These handguns are no more difficult to shoot than the 9mm. While I would not want to be shot with a 9mm, somebody who's stoned drunk or flying high on drugs will hardly feel it. Which type do you think would break into your house?
That's an age-old debate, and I happen to agree. On one hand, I think "well the military and police use 9mm, it must get the job done." But on the other hand I remember that the military and police are often limited by nitwit lawyers who want to make lethal weapons less lethal. So, I can't go off of that. Example: the military can't use hollow points and police forces are afraid of getting sued if, God forbid, they had something like a short reset trigger... or they had laser grips but shot center mast instead of wounding the perp in the leg. SWAT, however, is likely to come in wielding .45 caliber.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,690,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post

You sound like a big tough women so buy yourself a 10 gage shotgun and a.50 caliber auto and be done with it. From the attitude expressed in your post only hand cannons will do.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM

330 posts, read 599,559 times
A good flashlight, and a shotgun are good starters, but have you also considered an alarm, especially one where you can arm it for the exterior, but leave the inside off? This would give you an early warning system. Getting a dog (like a German shepard) is also a good idea.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:37 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,928 times
I don't even own a shotgun yet, so my word holds little weight on this matter, but I would lean towards a semiautomatic model rather than a pump action. I just don't see the benefit of a pump action for self defense. Not that it wouldn't be suitable, people have been using them for decades, but it would seem particularly appropriate for both emergency circumstances as well as novices. It's just one less thing having to worry about, and one less action to take during an exigency.

I see ChrisC had a different take on that matter. As to the reliability issue, unless semi-auto shotguns are known to be prone to problems, I'm not sure why a semi-auto shotgun would be any more worrisome than a semi-auto handgun. Few people nowadays have reliability concerns about semi-auto handguns as they once did many decades ago, back when the hot topic was whether to stick with revolvers.

No birdshot.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:39 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,620,287 times
Semi-auto shotguns can mis-feed, so I'd stick with a pump, either 12 or 20 gauge. A short barrelled tactical type of gun is ideal for home defense. Same problem with handguns, so a good medium framed .357 revolver is ideal IMO.

Be sure to learn how to use them and safely handle them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness