Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:47 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I will say this about that:

Communal living (being a contributing and accepted part of a larger community) is and always will be a key to long-term survival. For an example, consider the folks of "Mayberry, RFD." [And yes, that dates me considerably.]

Living in an organized commune is a different story.

Myself, I'd prefer the former to the latter. But then again, that's only me. As always, YMMV.

-- Nighteyes
Thank you for making this distinction. It is an important one that needs to be considered carefully. I see the former as voluntary and the latter as a form of indentured servitude. One is based on liberty and cooperation, the other based only on conscripted "cooperation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Get off your high horse.

You have clearly never worked in corporate America or in the financial industry.
And that's a bad thing? Behind a runaway government, they are secondarily responsible for the mess this nation is in--symbiotic to a ragingly gluttonous populous, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
One of the better "let's move to a farm and live the good life" movies:
The Egg and I
IMDb - The Egg and I (1947)

1940's vintage view of the pitfalls of Agriculture.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:37 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Thank you for making this distinction. It is an important one that needs to be considered carefully. I see the former as voluntary and the latter as a form of indentured servitude. One is based on liberty and cooperation, the other based only on conscripted "cooperation."

And that's a bad thing? Behind a runaway government, they are secondarily responsible for the mess this nation is in--symbiotic to a ragingly gluttonous populous, of course.
Did you even bother to read the rest of the post or are you just quoting stuff out of context?

OD

Old 10-18-2011, 04:34 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
$8.00 x 8 = $64 a day

$8.00 x 20 = $160 a day

$8.00 x 40 = $320 a week

$160 x 40 = $6400 a week

$320 x 4 = $1280 a month

$6400 x 4 = $25,600 a month..

Seems to me when common class working people pool their resorces, they're able to aquire a lot more...just as the rich do...

Those with money and resorces routinely form investment groups and firms...same concept...

One person could never afford a ranch or farm on 30 acres of land..
.but 30 people all contributing 1,2 thousand dollars could...or even buy a lodge...

The rich get richer cause they stick together...the poor get poorer, cause they poor aren't witty enough to see the advantage of pooling resorces...

If anyone is interested in such an endevour, please let me know...

It's either that or continue to work at minimum wage, poor credit, and never have nothing....

What crack are YOU smoking?

It looks like I'll be getting my 80 acres here shortly... I'm 29 BTW, never made more than as a Sgt in the Corps.

Now what I'm working on is making a hell of a lot more than $8 an hour.

then... it's like (Insert number here) people working for $8 an hour!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
What crack are YOU smoking?

It looks like I'll be getting my 80 acres here shortly... I'm 29 BTW, never made more than as a Sgt in the Corps.

Now what I'm working on is making a hell of a lot more than $8 an hour.

then... it's like (Insert number here) people working for $8 an hour!
My point is this...

Some of the best times in my life were when I was younger, and woke up not worrying about a job, income, rent, bills, ect ect...

A time when I was defined by how wonderful I could make others feel, and vice versa...

Most of this took place between K-12...and for some even through college...

And after that your only value seems to come in the form of a paycheck and 'stuff'....

If your paycheck is small, your value is small to society...
If your paycheck is big, your value is large to society...

There are some of us who simply want to get back to that sense of 'family' or 'communal friendship' type relationships we had with others before being deminished to wage earners...

Maybe because my particular job has me alone all the time...but I yearn for an enviornment where I'm around loving people all the time...where my value is not based on my income, but rather just because I'm me...a decent soul...

(I'm not expressing myself properly hang on...)

Like when you were younger and would go to summer camp or something...the wonderful feeling you would get just from being around others, a shared experience...it made life, the day, so enriching...but no exchange of money was envolved...it was all based on 'love energy'...just liking people, getting along, co-operating to get stuff done...

We have replaced that with 'stuff' or the persuete of....

Now most don't have time for one another...together time is replaced with husslen for the next dollar...

Ok...I'm just not making sense...

I want to be around people who want to be around people...decent people...people who like to laugh...and who see the good in others first, before they notice the 'bad'....

I want to be in an enviornment where we sit around at night and tell stories around the camp fire......and wake up the next day whenever we feel like it...

Where value comes from taking care of each other, making sure everyones alright, and not in rushing into work, punching time clock, coming home exhausted and going to bed...

We've all been duped into thinking value comes from aquiring stuff...as such we've become real distant from one another...

I want to create an enviornment where the closeness is there again...as when i was a child...my best memories...

Some already have that though...through close family relations or friends ect ect...

But some of us don't...and never will, if we continue down the same path we're on...

And as far as your land...80 acres means nothing to me, if I have no one to share it with....I want to see happy people running around on me land...barefoot and free....

Old 10-18-2011, 05:30 PM

[quote=SifuPhil;21326912]T&S, I'd be honored to be on your radio show, but speaking of Mayberry - I have a voice like Barney Fife.

"Andy ... Andy ..."

Ok, I will hold you to it...and you, and your knowledge of commune housing, will be one of me first guests....kind of like the Art Bell show use to be...

I will hold ya to that...and when I get show figured out...I'll get contact info...

If I do this, it will only be for one hour a week...in the Tampa area, and in Arkansa, or maybe all over in syndication...I don't know yet......but I want it to be a guest driven show at first...like Art Bell did...but not just paranormal stuff...

Old 10-18-2011, 05:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
My point is this...

Some of the best times in my life were when I was younger, and woke up not worrying about a job, income, rent, bills, ect ect...

A time when I was defined by how wonderful I could make others feel, and vice versa...

Most of this took place between K-12...and for some even through college...

And after that your only value seems to come in the form of a paycheck and 'stuff'....

If your paycheck is small, your value is small to society...
If your paycheck is big, your value is large to society...

There are some of us who simply want to get back to that sense of 'family' or 'communal friendship' type relationships we had with others before being deminished to wage earners...

Maybe because my particular job has me alone all the time...but I yearn for an enviornment where I'm around loving people all the time...where my value is not based on my income, but rather just because I'm me...a decent soul...

(I'm not expressing myself properly hang on...)

Like when you were younger and would go to summer camp or something...the wonderful feeling you would get just from being around others, a shared experience...it made life, the day, so enriching...but no exchange of money was envolved...it was all based on 'love energy'...just liking people, getting along, co-operating to get stuff done...

We have replaced that with 'stuff' or the persuete of....

Now most don't have time for one another...together time is replaced with husslen for the next dollar...

Ok...I'm just not making sense...

I want to be around people who want to be around people...decent people...people who like to laugh...and who see the good in others first, before they notice the 'bad'....

I want to be in an enviornment where we sit around at night and tell stories around the camp fire......and wake up the next day whenever we feel like it...

Where value comes from taking care of each other, making sure everyones alright, and not in rushing into work, punching time clock, coming home exhausted and going to bed...

We've all been duped into thinking value comes from aquiring stuff...as such we've become real distant from one another...

I want to create an enviornment where the closeness is there again...as when i was a child...my best memories...

Some already have that though...through close family relations or friends ect ect...

But some of us don't...and never will, if we continue down the same path we're on...

And as far as your land...80 acres means nothing to me, if I have no one to share it with....I want to see happy people running around on me land...barefoot and free....

Sorry, but, if you are living on a commune you won't be able to wake up anytime you feel like it You all need to be up caring for animals, tending to gardens, getting firewood ready, cooking for each other, cleaning for each other, gathering food and many many other daily duties that you WILL NOT be hiring others to do for you like you probably do now so put that boy scout idea out of your teenager head.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Sorry, but, if you are living on a commune you won't be able to wake up anytime you feel like it You all need to be up caring for animals, tending to gardens, getting firewood ready, cooking for each other, cleaning for each other, gathering food and many many other daily duties that you WILL NOT be hiring others to do for you like you probably do now so put that boy scout idea out of your teenager head.

100% wrong....

A commune can be people living in a palace...

with servants delivering their goods and taking care of common stuff...

Expand your mind please...

I mean why can't 20 people get together and literly buy a castle????

Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
I mean why can't 20 people get together and literly buy a castle????
Dibs on the dungeon!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Dibs on the dungeon!

Ouch....I'm learning alot from reading these posts....

I'm also learning that many are stuck with this idea that to have a commune means living 100 miles out in the middle of nowhere milking cows every morning...

Think about it...why can't ya have a commune and live on a yacht??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness