Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,860 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Rural and small town living forum since I was not sure if there might be any beneficial feedback there. But, this forum also has a bunch of people with good experience who could chime in and give me advice (if they want to)

I landed a work-from-home job with good pay and great benefits. I can work from literally anywhere I want so long as I have an internet connection.

So, the time has come to find that perfect place!

Here are some stipulations:

1. Must be near lots of horse riding opportunities (national or state forests, BLM land, whatever...)
2. 5-8+ acres
3. Must be somewhat green - if I cannot graze two horses on it, I am fine supplementing all or portion of the feed, however, they should have at least something to graze as opposed to sitting in mud, red-dirt or sand.
4. Mild climate year-round or if we can't have that: 4 distinct seasons (not looking for a place too hot most of the year or too cold or too much snow for too long)
5. Climate, soil, water availability enough to grow a garden for 2-3 people (grow veggies and berries, at least)
6. Rural

Bonuses (nice to have but not a deal breaker):
1. Medical facilities within 50 miles
2. Town of 5-15,000 within 30-45 minute drive
3. Large town/city within hour and a half to two hours drive

If I will be buying a house with the lot, the budget is $200-$220K. Without a house, obviously much cheaper

Can anyone recommend such a place? Does it even exist?

Thanks!
OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Try looking in the towns outside of Nashville at Natchez Trace State Park which is in Hohenwald. Then there is Jackson, TN, and a lot of smaller towns outside of Nashville where Vanderbilt University and Hospital. You can find a good piece of land to build on or with a home already on and have HughesNet Satellite for your internet connection.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Try looking in the towns outside of Nashville at Natchez Trace State Park which is in Hohenwald. Then there is Jackson, TN, and a lot of smaller towns outside of Nashville where Vanderbilt University and Hospital. You can find a good piece of land to build on or with a home already on and have HughesNet Satellite for your internet connection.
CSD - thanks!

Any recommendations for something less populated? It just seems that these 48,000 acres of Natchez park would experience a lot of pressure from people coming from all over to ride there.

Thanks!
Ognen

Old 03-15-2012, 01:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Ognen,
It's possible to find what your after in Vt, NH, and Maine too. The weather here is colder in general, but not this past winter. In National Forests, you can hunt, where you can't in parks. That idea was new to me as I thought of Yellowstone as a place 'we' could hunt. mac

Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Ognen,
It's possible to find what your after in Vt, NH, and Maine too. The weather here is colder in general, but not this past winter. In National Forests, you can hunt, where you can't in parks. That idea was new to me as I thought of Yellowstone as a place 'we' could hunt. mac
Mac: I have lived in Canada so Maine, VT or NH cold "ain't for me no more"
OD

Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I posted this in the Rural and small town living forum since I was not sure if there might be any beneficial feedback there. But, this forum also has a bunch of people with good experience who could chime in and give me advice (if they want to)

I landed a work-from-home job with good pay and great benefits. I can work from literally anywhere I want so long as I have an internet connection.

1. Must be near lots of horse riding opportunities (national or state forests, BLM land, whatever...)
2. 5-8+ acres
3. Must be somewhat green - if I cannot graze two horses on it, I am fine supplementing all or portion of the feed, however, they should have at least something to graze as opposed to sitting in mud, red-dirt or sand.
4. Mild climate year-round or if we can't have that: 4 distinct seasons (not looking for a place too hot most of the year or too cold or too much snow for too long)
5. Climate, soil, water availability enough to grow a garden for 2-3 people (grow veggies and berries, at least)
6. Rural

If I will be buying a house with the lot, the budget is $200-$220K. Without a house, obviously much cheaper

Thanks!
OD
Too many to list if you are open to the entire US. Some parts in each of these states satisfy your requirements: Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

I recommend you take a look at unitedcountry[dot]com and similar sites.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Valleys of central Utah? Winter is often pretty cold, but it varies. We really haven't had a winter this year! Average high temps in the 90's is typical. These valley's are traditional farming areas. You just have to get away from the urban Wasatch Front Area. You might look into Sanpete Valley. That's really about as good as it gets in Utah (if you don't like huge cities and don't want to be in parched desert).

Old 03-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Too many to list if you are open to the entire US. Some parts in each of these states satisfy your requirements: Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

I recommend you take a look at unitedcountry[dot]com and similar sites.
I am aware of unitedcountry[dot]com and other land search websites. But, they are the final point in the search, after I have zeroed in on a few potential areas that match my requirements.

More precisely, which counties/areas of the above mentioned states are you thinking of?

Thanks!
OD

Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Valleys of central Utah? Winter is often pretty cold, but it varies. We really haven't had a winter this year! Average high temps in the 90's is typical. These valley's are traditional farming areas. You just have to get away from the urban Wasatch Front Area. You might look into Sanpete Valley. That's really about as good as it gets in Utah (if you don't like huge cities and don't want to be in parched desert).
Texas had a historic drought last year and in the last six months we have clocked more rain than Florida . That's why you don't make observations based only on one year periods

From the stats on Ephraim, UT, it looks like a nice place but it can snow all the way into May and again starting in Oct/Nov. January gets up to 12 inches of snow and February is not far behind. Temps in Jan drop to teens for lows and 20s and 30s for highs... That's out of my comfort zone

OD

Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post

2. 5-8+ acres
6. Rural

Thanks!
OD
Have you looked at Bonne Terre, Missouri? Check the info out here.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bonne-Terre-Missouri.html

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness