Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

I wish I could eat a simple diet. I'm serious on that. Unfortunately, as a type "O" blood type with various food sensitivities, I need meat, and if I do an excess on grains or pulses I pay for it. We looked into buying wheat berries, but found that buying the flour worked better and cost less. DW is able to do breakfasts similar to yours, but has found quite a bit of variation even in steel cut oats, to the point that buying in bulk would be like the cripshoot I once took buying Sam's Club coffee and regretted for six months. I've never seen a cracker other than a "common cracker" that wouldn't go stale in three months.

I have no doubt you saw stuff in food prep that would give pause. I've seen similar in restaurant and retail. If our digestive systems weren't as good as they are, we would have died out as a species long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is the only place I disagee with your post. You should be eating green and other color vegetables all year. If you don't wish to visit a store you can grow a great deal right in your house.

Cooked tomato is so good for you it should be in your diet every single day. I get mine primarily in tomato juice but I also use a fair amount of marinara sauce. I just made a little over two gallons and froze it in Ball jars suitable for freezing. Every morning I squeeze two lemons and dump the juice into a 22 ounce glass. I fill it up with tomato juice and stir. It does hit the spot.

I found out from a physician that lemon juice is a realistic home preventitive for kidney stones when drunk in large amounts.

The egg is almost a perfect food; it has all sorts of nutrients. Eggs plus tomato juice make a wonderful foundation for a diet. I'm not telling you to stop eating anything you eat but rather to add to it.

Now start eating your vegies.
My ears perked up when you mentioned lemon juice preventing kidney stones, because at my age... well, it's something that I think about more often than I used to. Pretty important with my philosophy on our medical care system to avoid any of those sorts of problems.

I actually have been thinking about trying some indoor planters for vegetables. I've never even tried that--it's always been outside. But, if I can grow a pine tree in my place (seriously, it's starting to take up a lot of that small living space that I like so much. ), I should be able to grow something useful.

Yep, forgot to mention eggs. A great all-around food.

Ahhh, okay, as long as I don't have to eat Brussels sprouts!

Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I wish I could eat a simple diet. I'm serious on that. Unfortunately, as a type "O" blood type with various food sensitivities, I need meat, and if I do an excess on grains or pulses I pay for it. We looked into buying wheat berries, but found that buying the flour worked better and cost less. DW is able to do breakfasts similar to yours, but has found quite a bit of variation even in steel cut oats, to the point that buying in bulk would be like the cripshoot I once took buying Sam's Club coffee and regretted for six months. I've never seen a cracker other than a "common cracker" that wouldn't go stale in three months.

I have no doubt you saw stuff in food prep that would give pause. I've seen similar in restaurant and retail. If our digestive systems weren't as good as they are, we would have died out as a species long ago.
Flour rather than wheat can be cost effective, as long as it doesn't sit around for too long.

I absolutely LOVE steel cut oats, especially when I take the time to cook them in milk. And yes, buying bulk can be iffy sometimes. I've "lost" (in the trashcan) more than one #10 can filled with... I don't know what! I suppose it's true that, if I buy a can of campbell's soup, I can at least count on it being edible.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My ears perked up when you mentioned lemon juice preventing kidney stones, because at my age... well, it's something that I think about more often than I used to. Pretty important with my philosophy on our medical care system to avoid any of those sorts of problems.

I actually have been thinking about trying some indoor planters for vegetables. I've never even tried that--it's always been outside. But, if I can grow a pine tree in my place (seriously, it's starting to take up a lot of that small living space that I like so much. ), I should be able to grow something useful.

Yep, forgot to mention eggs. A great all-around food.

You can grow all sorts of things inside. Tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and bell peppers are just a few.

Don't think of their growing area as living space; think of it as agricultural space. Surely you wouldn't avoid an outside garden just because it brought your needed space to more than 16' x 12'.

You could even consider chickens or ducks. My last hen, Juno, lived inside for four years until she died a year ago at about the age of 12. I kept her quarters clean and their was never an odor.

And no, you don't need to eat brussel sprouts...or broccoli. But what about cooked tomatoes?

What kind of pine are you growing? I've had a Norfolk Island Pine that I got nine or ten years ago and it's doing well. But I've never been able to keep any others alive inside. There's nothing wrong with growing plants for their beauty. They contribute to our happiness and well-being.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
HEY!!!!
What is wrong with Brussel Sprouts???

Brussel sprouts, Cabbage, squash, pumpkin, rhubarb, spuds, turnips, rutabegas are some of my favorites and as an added plus, they store pretty well too by freezing or canning, aren't hard to grow, and are very nutritious and filling as well.

I prefer cider vinigar to lemon juice, can't get tomato juice down, so most of my tomato intake has to be in the form of a spagetti sauce or pizza sauce of some kind.

Funny thing is, where my garden is now, tomatos are one of the things that grow best. We usually pick all summer, and the last crop fills a 48 quart cooler with the green ones to ripen during the winter. Usually we only have 9 plants because they take over the garden.

This summer was a good one for green bell peppers, I dehydrated them all summer long and now have a supply that will last for a couple of years anyway.

I don't watch Jim Bakker, but do like some of the episodes of The Victory Garden when they leave off of the decorative plants and talk about the real garden stuff.

I will say that from a strickly economic viewpoint that yes, you can fill your gut cheaper from the supermarket, but the quality of the food, the exercise and the satisfaction of growing your own can outweigh strickly economic factors.

I believe very few people actually produce their own food to try and save money, I firmly believe it is more because of the health benefits and the flavor of the produce you can grow at home.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM

259 posts, read 366,106 times
You guys are real preppers whereas my wife and I are urban knuckleheads living in a condo and very limited to gardening except for herbs and our tomato potted planting. We took the easy route by purchasing Jim Bakkers offers (not to mention packages that included CD's,The Harbinger and gifts) Jim is so paranoid about hawking and his fall from PTL now he is giving up the farm to apease folks. He is a great man and he needs to get over it. Anyway, this show offers one item that I can't presently afford ($1900) namely a fueless generator that has AC,crank and comes with a solar panel. I haven't purchased food lately (6 gallon winter wheat tub a few months ago) . On our way to Wisconsin we plan to stop and load up at Morninside in Mo. to save money . My primary interest in the show is capturing every cottonpickin word of his guest Jonathan Cahn has to say (our new huge life changing hero!) Thanks to all threaders(preppers) who are the real intelligent humans on earth! Jesus said only a fool is unprepared ! God Bless ! Oh the food I was referring to from Bakker is dehydrated, foiled, deoxygenated, nutrionally enhanced, mixed of meals, 20 year shelf+, and really tasty.

Last edited by Rabbidave; 11-12-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Skip the fuel-less "generator". It is a borderline scam, there is a thread on that type of "generator" in the forum.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
I head years a go and saw...If one paints the house with Copper based paint
and puts Copper screens on the windows instead. inside or out.
A solor power surge blast will not blow the eletronics in your house.
That may not protect you.

A Faraday cage will only block electrostatic energy not an EMP or Geomagnetic Storms (from CME).
Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Faraday cages cannot block static and slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside).
To a large degree, though, they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation.
Electromagnetic pulse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electromagnetic shielding materials are manufactured from high-permeability alloys that contain about 80% nickel; the alloys vary in the composition of their remaining metals. They are usually fabricated as foils or sheets and are baked at 2,000 °F in a dry hydrogen-rich atmosphere to anneal them. Annealing significantly improves a material’s attenuation, that is, its ability to absorb and redirect magnetic fields.
Geomagnetic storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The (nearly direct) currents induced in these lines from geomagnetic storms are harmful to electrical transmission equipment, especially generators and transformers — inducing core saturation, constraining their performance (as well as tripping various safety devices), and causing coils and cores to heat up. This heat can disable or destroy them, even inducing a chain reaction that can overload and blow transformers throughout a system.
According to a study by Metatech corporation, a storm with a strength comparative to that of 1921 would destroy more than 300 transformers and leave over 130 million people without power, with a cost totaling several trillion dollars. A massive solar flare could knock out electric power for months.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Organic pigs wallow in their poo, cattle stand in their water and pee, and chickens eat whatever is in front of them.

I have to comment on this. Pigs, when given enough space, will not wallow in their poo. Pigs are as clean as dogs. You can housebreak pigs easily. They will wallow in CLEAN manure free mud if someone is kind enough to give them the space. Pigs will urinate and defecate away from where they congregate when give space. Pigs are forced to live in filth when the selfish cruel and greedy owner forces them to live that way.

Cows have no choice but to stand in their filth when the selfish cruel and greedy owner forces them to do so. Out in the fields and pastures where cows belong, with plenty of space, they do not hang out in their manure and urine.

Chickens will indeed eat all that's edible. That's what chickens do.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 PM

"selfish cruel and greedy " There seems to be a problem with your computer. It likes to make baseless accusations.

Pigs eat poo. That is part of what they do. Dogs eat poo too. *kisses* to their "selfish cruel and greedy " owners...

Haven't been around cows much, huh? Twenty-five acre field, one stream, one farm pond. Plenty of forage. Guess where at least one of those cows will stand and let loose? Kinda like some forums...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness