Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 AM

346 posts, read 786,440 times

Advertisements

Either you own a really big motel chain, or something is amiss.*I'll go with the latter.What would you do with 6 million blankets?

Https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...132ac&tab=core
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I dunno. A gun to protect yourself from FEMA?

Old 08-29-2013, 04:43 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,980 times
ClownShoes, your info is appreciated.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM

I just found this:
[url=http://www.thesleuthjournal.com/fema-preparing-major-event-region-iii/]FEMA Preparing For A Major Event In Region III | TheSleuthJournal[/url]

Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
TheSleuthJoural?

I'd be more apt to trust reporting from the Wall Street Journal. But they seem to have been silent regarding this.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Either you own a really big motel chain, or something is amiss.*I'll go with the latter.What would you do with 6 million blankets?
You do realize that FEMA and DHS are primary purchasing sources? Those blankets could end up in a FEMA emergency supply depot, or with the Dept. of Interior to be available in case of a disaster in national parl. Or it could end up with a state emergency management agency as part of their local preparedness plans. Or maybe even one of a thousand local fire stations gets some since the station is used in emergency as a shelter. Of course a place like Hawaii may get a million of them because in an emergency, they don’t have the ability to pull from a neighboring state since they are out in the ocean. And we still have all those territories where the USA still maintains emergency disaster services.

Considering there are over 313 million people in the USA, 6 million emergency blankets spread throughout all the states, counties, municipalities, territories, various agencies and everything else dealing with disaster preparedness - maybe it’s too little an amount.

Geez, considering all the people harping on "preparedness" and the need to be "ready", it’s a bit hypocritical to condemn the federal government for preparing better than you.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 AM

346 posts, read 786,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You do realize that FEMA and DHS are primary purchasing sources? Those blankets could end up in a FEMA emergency supply depot, or with the Dept. of Interior to be available in case of a disaster in national parl. Or it could end up with a state emergency management agency as part of their local preparedness plans. Or maybe even one of a thousand local fire stations gets some since the station is used in emergency as a shelter. Of course a place like Hawaii may get a million of them because in an emergency, they don’t have the ability to pull from a neighboring state since they are out in the ocean. And we still have all those territories where the USA still maintains emergency disaster services.

Considering there are over 313 million people in the USA, 6 million emergency blankets spread throughout all the states, counties, municipalities, territories, various agencies and everything else dealing with disaster preparedness - maybe it’s too little an amount.

Geez, considering all the people harping on "preparedness" and the need to be "ready", it’s a bit hypocritical to condemn the federal government for preparing better than you.
Sorry you feel this way.
The bottom line is, do you trust the government?

I don't. ......

Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
The bottom line is, do you trust the government?
Of course not.

I judge, not based on the warm fuzzies, kumbaya, or Santa Claus mentality, but rather, based on the reality of past record, actions, and trends for the future. Based on that, I'd be about as likely to trust Vlad Țepeș.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
TheSleuthJoural?

I'd be more apt to trust reporting from the Wall Street Journal. But they seem to have been silent regarding this.
I knew when I posted that someone would say something about the source.
I found so many sources I just picked one and that was it.
As far as the WSJ goes, why do you think they aren't reporting this?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
The US government's fiscal year runs from October 1st through September 30th. There is always a mad rush by agencies to spend their purchasing budget before October 1st to insure the same amount or more is allotted for their budget the next year. In short, they stock up.

I don't see this as a race to prepare for some expected crisis on Oct. 1st or later. It's a race to buy what they may need with the money they have available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness