Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

I'd probably go to the gym and then work, but it would be 5am, not 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:08 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I would get on the ATV or snowmobile, ride to the bank and be there when they open IF they open. I would draw out what cash I could. I would NOT ride the roads with my truck.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:17 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Just a technical point of information: The USD is the worlds reserve currency. There are not even remotely enough of anything else out there for it to be otherwise. Whatever else happens, and I am not Pollyannaish about this, the dollar will be the last man standing.

Secondly, the idea that everyone is going to pile into their cars and 'go somewhere' else is ridiculous. What? I am going to go to your neighborhood, and you are going to come over to mine> What exactly is 'going somewhere' going to prove/help/change should we ever encounter an Armageddon scenario whether it be political/environmental/economic? There are twenty million people in the NY Metro area. Probably ten in Phoenix, and a like amount in LA Boston, and Chicago. Where exactly are they going to go? And what for? Oh, they are going to hide from the gubment and grow their own vegetables. That is going to be on hell of a mystery community hiding 100 million community garden plots....

Please folks, stop watching all this reality television and start dealing in the real world. I probably understand how corrupt our government is as well as the next guy--perhaps even more--but some of the ideas about how change will occur border on insanity.

I am not advocating anything, but you drag a couple of these traitors (who pretend to put America first when they plead for your vote) from their homes, beat them to within an inch of their lives and then chain the remnants to the fence in front of the capital and it won't take long for all of this self aggrandizement to cease and the needs of the people to return to center stage in our governmental dealings. Pretending that you can run and hide is just absurd.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:19 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
I might be glad to have been a member of this forum:
Survivalist Forum Survival Gear SHTF and TEOTWAWKI Articles

Old 09-23-2013, 02:49 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Ted Bear: 100% correct. Almost nobody has anyplace to go to and, for those who have a place, they are probably not going to be able to get there in an emergency. I would expect them to already be in place a couple of days (or weeks) before the crap is on the finale downhill slide.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, I don't own a TV, and I don't get up at 7.

I went to town today for the first time in a week.

I'll probably get online to watch the fun, failing that listen to the radio, failing that, scan through the shortwave....

Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Ted Bear: 100% correct. Almost nobody has anyplace to go to and, for those who have a place, they are probably not going to be able to get there in an emergency. I would expect them to already be in place a couple of days (or weeks) before the crap is on the finale downhill slide.
I'm prepared to "shelter in place".

Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 AM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
Interesting that some people say they would go to work. In a scenario like this, work as you know it may not exist any more. It would be a miracle if even half your co-workers showed up. While you confine yourself to an office for 8 hours you are missing out on valuable time to gather resources if you haven't already. Also if you had family, wouldn't you be worried about them if they were someplace else?

Regardless of the time you awake in the morning, whether you work or not, have loved ones or not, this scenario would affect you one way or another. While it is unlikely to occur in an overnight fashion as some posters have mentioned, the gradual lead up to economic collapse could cause more immediate and unforeseen events.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I guarantee you my work will still be there.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Interesting that some people say they would go to work. In a scenario like this, work as you know it may not exist any more. It would be a miracle if even half your co-workers showed up. While you confine yourself to an office for 8 hours you are missing out on valuable time to gather resources if you haven't already. Also if you had family, wouldn't you be worried about them if they were someplace else?

Regardless of the time you awake in the morning, whether you work or not, have loved ones or not, this scenario would affect you one way or another. While it is unlikely to occur in an overnight fashion as some posters have mentioned, the gradual lead up to economic collapse could cause more immediate and unforeseen events.
The right time to "gather resources" is the day BEFORE a disaster... NOT the day AFTER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness