Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I have nowhere to go. I have water for about a month. I plan to buy some food stockpile but I don't know which is good. I want 3 month supply. I do have some veggies growing.
So I will have to head to the market and steal what I can.
Canned goods that you can store and consume and rotate your food that way you buy the things you eat and eat the things you buy on a Regular basis and water to drink and water to wash with and cook with and the Supermarkets and Gas stations will be the most dangerous places to be if people are panicked and they have run out or are rationing water and fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Just a technical point of information: The USD is the worlds reserve currency. There are not even remotely enough of anything else out there for it to be otherwise. Whatever else happens, and I am not Pollyannaish about this, the dollar will be the last man standing.
If the Tea Party manages to force the US Government into default, the rest of the world will start dumping dollars as fast as they can. The dollar could lose 90% of its value in less than a month. Unable to pay for imports, from fresh vegetables to crude oil, the USA would be in a world of hurt.

That's the nature of a panic. All people have to think is that US Treasuries are toilet paper and the dollar would become worthless overnight.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
That's the way panics go, but it's the Tea Party reps in Congress that are pushing the US to default on US Treasury bills. The way to ruin your credit is to refuse to pay your bills.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If the Tea Party manages to force the US Government into default, the rest of the world will start dumping dollars as fast as they can. The dollar could lose 90% of its value in less than a month. Unable to pay for imports, from fresh vegetables to crude oil, the USA would be in a world of hurt.

That's the nature of a panic. All people have to think is that US Treasuries are toilet paper and the dollar would become worthless overnight.
There are enough daily tax revenues to pay the obligations with no default so maybe try a different hysteria.

Obama on raising the Debt Ceiling during his 2008 Campaign - YouTube

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...fecd_blog.html

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-05-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 08:54 PM

355 posts, read 869,342 times
The debt limit is almost here. Americans have less than 4 days to contact their congressman and demand cooperation between the parties. Should the U.S. default on it's debt, the worldwide ramifications could be huge, not to mention what would happen to the value of the U.S. dollar.

Could Day One be 10/17/13?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
The debt limit is almost here. Americans have less than 4 days to contact their congressman and demand cooperation between the parties. Should the U.S. default on it's debt, the worldwide ramifications could be huge, not to mention what would happen to the value of the U.S. dollar.

Could Day One be 10/17/13?
Demand that we open up another credit card account now that the current ones are maxed out - again?

Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM

355 posts, read 869,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Demand that we open up another credit card account now that the current ones are maxed out - again?
There is no doubt the Feds will have to make a financially irresponsible decision. Either spend more money it doesn't have now, or default and let the house of cards tumble down. They will always make the former choice as no elected representative wants to let default happen on their watch because Americans will put the blame on them when it was really something that has been accumulating for decades.

Strategic spending cuts and small revenue increases, with the goal of eventually eliminating the deficit and running a surplus to pay down the debt, would over time, be the least painful pill to swallow.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Strategic spending cuts and small revenue increases, with the goal of eventually eliminating the deficit and running a surplus to pay down the debt, would over time, be the least painful pill to swallow.
But that NEVER happens. We always increase the ceiling and say we'll fix it later.

I say, we leave the ceiling and make the changes now.

We do NOT have to raise the debt ceiling. We have the money to pay on the interest to keep us from default. Let's keep the ceiling as it is and make the cuts and tax increases that need to be made now and start working on a new budget WITHOUT more deficit spending.

We can't keep kicking the can down the road.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
I just wonder how long we can keep spending money that we do not have? An even better question is when Average Joe is going to realize that we are playing with Monopoly money. Will the confidence in a piece of paper wane as the government keeps printing more of it without bound?

I keep hearing that the "world economy" is going to blow up. Well, you know what? If the world is stupid enough to base its very existence on how much paper we here in the good ol' US can run though a press, then the world must be as fragile as a little paper rose in a wind storm. This "economy" is beginning to remind me of the tooth fairy or a leprechaun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
All people have to think is that US Treasuries are toilet paper and the dollar would become worthless overnight.
That's pretty much what it is. However, we believe in toilet paper right now. So we all play the game, including me. But when you really consider it, toilet paper would be more useful if we took the dollar for what it really is... which is nothing. The only reason it's not nothing in a practical sense is because, like I said, we believe it to be more.

As for the "Tea Party" causing this... they haven't caused anything. Just like an alcoholic. Nobody is responsible for an alcoholic other than the alcoholic. The "Tea Party" can try to sober the alcoholic up, but ultimately the alcoholic isn't going to recover until he realizes that he is an alcoholic and decides to do something about it... rather than buy "just one more bottle." Just this once! Then after that... well, we'll give up the booze.

Last edited by ChrisC; 10-14-2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
But that NEVER happens. We always increase the ceiling and say we'll fix it later.

I say, we leave the ceiling and make the changes now.

We do NOT have to raise the debt ceiling. We have the money to pay on the interest to keep us from default. Let's keep the ceiling as it is and make the cuts and tax increases that need to be made now and start working on a new budget WITHOUT more deficit spending.

We can't keep kicking the can down the road.
Or the FRB can monetize the debt. It's not a great solution but it's far better than raising the debt ceiling as it allows access to needed funds while imposing at least psychological discipline Few legislators desire to become known by historians as the parents of hyperinflation.

Washington could start cutting costs by shutting down its puppet governments in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness