Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times

Advertisements

For decades community based agriculture has been popular where houses become members and agree to buy a share of the farms output over the course of the year but there is a new development; namely, "Development based agriculture". It's when new planned communities are built centered around community farms owned by the HOA. It seems a bit forced and artificial to me but apparently it is taking off around the country especially with yuppies who want organic and local food. NPR has a nice radio bit on it:

Forget Golf Courses: Subdivisions Draw Residents With Farms : The Salt : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
It may not be ideal, but it is, at least in my opinion, a step in the right direction for urbanites. But I'll bet the age-old problem of a very few doing all the work and the rest reaping the rewards pops up somewhere in the frenzy. Teamwork doesn't work so well these days if there is actually work involved. But beyond my skepticism, I do hope it works out and the idea catches on. There could be some ancillary rewards as well, such as bringing the community together, friendships, revival of the idea of cooperation, etc.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,244 times
I think the developer is separating fools from their money. I wouldn't buy into any kind of HOA-type community.

I agree that it seems forced and artificial. Cohesive communities evolve naturally over a long period of time, like where I live (250+ years). I wish them luck; they are going to need it.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:14 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,996 times
I agree with both of you but I think it is a start for the people who can afford it. At least they have no excuse now

Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,837 times
I think it's a great idea and definitely a step in the right direction. I can't imagine how many people would buy into such a community unless a community garden appeals to them in the first place. I don't see this amenity any different than a community pool, club house, golf course, etc. I would think that this would actually be cheaper for a builder than other amenities; all they would have to do is leave some undeveloped, irrigated land and maybe bring in some quality top soil.

I'm a little confused, though...does the entire community share in the bounty even if they don't participate in the work?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,244 times
The article is confusing. I looked up other sources for this project.

This community is very much like a retirement resort community or a golf resort community.

According to the developer's site, it has a pool, clubhouse, trails, horse arena and other amenities just like those other places. The single family homes sell in the 350-450k range and they have plans to add townhomes too. IMO, 1000 homes on 240 acres is ridiculous if that number is accurate. They plan to hire a farmer to farm a 3.6 acre vegetable garden which doesn't begin to feed that many households.

It seems the developer is selling a fantasy farm lifestyle just like the retirement and golf communities do.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
The article is confusing. I looked up other sources for this project.

This community is very much like a retirement resort community or a golf resort community.

According to the developer's site, it has a pool, clubhouse, trails, horse arena and other amenities just like those other places. The single family homes sell in the 350-450k range and they have plans to add townhomes too. IMO, 1000 homes on 240 acres is ridiculous if that number is accurate. They plan to hire a farmer to farm a 3.6 acre vegetable garden which doesn't begin to feed that many households.

It seems the developer is selling a fantasy farm lifestyle just like the retirement and golf communities do.
For $400K you can get a nice size lot of land near a national forest in a place like New Mexico or Colorado (let's say 5-10 acres at least with a nice home if you don't want to build yourself). There are your trails and outdoors opportunities right there. On 5-10 acres you can have your own garden without the additional 999 neighbors

Old 12-21-2013, 12:47 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
I think the developer is separating fools from their money. I wouldn't buy into any kind of HOA-type community.

I agree that it seems forced and artificial. Cohesive communities evolve naturally over a long period of time, like where I live (250+ years). I wish them luck; they are going to need it.
I totally agree.

These "farms" are actually run by some nation-wide corporation, so the "farmers" are actually hired hands. What happens when the homeowners get tired of subsidizing the farms?

Reading the article, I was reminded of Marie Antoinette who had herself a make-believe "farm" where she pretended to be a shepherdess I think.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I totally agree.

These "farms" are actually run by some nation-wide corporation, so the "farmers" are actually hired hands. What happens when the homeowners get tired of subsidizing the farms?
Wait a second, I thought that was the point of specialization? Why go back to subsistence agriculture and living in squalor and dying from a disease when you can pay the $450K, hire a gardener (and a chef?) to grow and cook your healthy food and pursue your interests? After all if one gardener quits, you can always hire another (the beauty of specialization). What happened to that theory?

Old 12-21-2013, 04:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
A 3.6 acre vegetable garden, using a hired farmer (that all the home owners share in his salary and benefits, water seed and fertilize, supplies, etc.). Wow what a deal. How many of you have ever lived on a farm, or ranch, where you grew food for a family. We used to grow that big a garden for our family when I was a kid, and had a little we shared with other relatives and friends from time to time.

I know that area where the farm is. I spent many years in the area as a commercial/investment/1031 real estate broker. I developed in the area, and sold a number of irrigated farms so I know the crops that will grow there and production levels possible.

As said above.

Quote:
I think the developer is separating fools from their money.
Put chickens and goats in the mix, and some people are going to hate the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness