Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times

Advertisements

The key that most preparistas miss is community and cooperation. These are the traits that will get us through any dire circumstances. The patriarchal-style gonna-git-my-gunz-an-slaughter-'em mentality won't make it through the next great evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
My parents (in their late 60s/early 70s now) were CONVINCED that Y2K was going to doom civilization as we know it. They had food and water supplies stored in their "Y2K cabinet" with enough to last at least a year. Of course, nothing major happened when the new millenium started. I didn't discount their fears during that time either. People have to feel comfortable with their own choices and as long as it's not hurting others, what does it matter?

Stand-up comedian Bill Burr speaks about this. He says "all they are really doing is collecting supplies for the toughest guy on the block."

Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is good to know who the psychopaths are, planning to loot, rape and kill others.
Exactly what I was thinking. Some folks want to be the problem for everyone else.

Same applies in good times and bad, I suppose. I guess the difference is that in the good times, the defectives go the state pen. In the bad times they are simply lynched.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:32 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Stand-up comedian Bill Burr speaks about this. He says "all they are really doing is collecting supplies for the toughest guy on the block."
Not surprising. It's the same kind of attitude that our society today has on self-support in general. The one guy with a job on the block is only collecting money that will then be re-dispersed to support everyone else on the block who is on welfare, unemployment, or disability. At what point does EVERYONE on the block sit on their ass and do nothing? Waiting for Santa Claus.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Same applies in good times and bad, I suppose. I guess the difference is that in the good times, the defectives go the state pen. In the bad times they are simply lynched.
So in good times we pay for their food, housing, clothing, medical expenses, and recreation. In bad times we eliminate them cheaply. It seems to me that bad times will be good times for good people.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:24 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Some folks want to be the problem for everyone else.

This morning was our town's weekly coffee break at the gunsmith shop [only store-front business our town has]. The men are an assortment of avid hunters, fishermen, trappers, farmers and wild food foragers.

I brought up this thread, and armed psychopaths [who are fantasizing about looting, raping and killing others the second that SHTF].

We can see there being waves of armed looters.

However their ranks should be thinned with every mile they have to walk. Every town they pillage, and every farm they loot, will thin their ranks a good deal.

After the first wave of armed looters have expired, we expect the locals will all be up to speed in dispatching each successive wave.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:45 PM

19 posts, read 39,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think a lot of "preppers" will not make it just due to the fact you can not prepare for all eventualities. An example is someone that lives in an urban area and buys a secluded survival property to "bug out to". Will they be ABLE to bug out in time? Will the roads be passable? Will their survival location already be occupied by opportunists? Will they hae to get into a gunfight to retake their survival retreat?

I have looked at a lot of survivalist boards and my impression is 80% of the participants are just gun collectors pretending they need a [articular gun in order to survive and they use "survival" as justification to make the purchase. Look at the number of posts regarding weapons vs fresh water supplies or long term storage foods/gardening. Most people are preparing for a zombie situation whereas they should be preparing to feed themselves.
I completely agree. I planned for self-sufficiency with a garden, rain collection, etc and live in the middle of nowhere that is surrounded by yuppies that don't know how to hunt, trap, or fish. I live just outside an area that is a "ski village' and nobody knows how to take care of themselves or even how to fire a weapon. I don't think that people realize that in a survival situation the last thing you want to do is draw attention by using a firearm or having a wood fire. Knives, bows, and traps are what will be needed to keep a low profile. As for a wood fire, you can smell it for miles away. I think that people need to reassess food, medicine, and water before buying yet another firearm. Really, how many can you fire at once anyways? Infection, hypothermia, starvation, and clean water are what you need to consider because that is what will keep you alive. Yes, firearms are needed for protection but not to the extent that I've seen people take it.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:10 PM

195 posts, read 281,619 times
You won't be able, for a year after shtf, to have a garden, or any livestock, or any food above ground. Dog's will sniff you out, and people will notice the dogs. your food will be stolen, and if you give them any static about it, they'll kill you. You are dreaming if you think a few locals will be able to handle a gang of hardened looters. The latter will be experienced, probably military vets, etc, and will not hesitate to poison you, burn you out, snipe, etc. YOu will be easy to find, they can come back whenever they wish, talk about you to other gangs, etc.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM

195 posts, read 281,619 times
Your neighbors will likely be the ones looting you, by the way. Not 1 person in 1000 is properly prepped, or ever will be. Hundreds of people know about you and your "spot".

Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtHi View Post
I completely agree. I planned for self-sufficiency with a garden, rain collection, etc and live in the middle of nowhere that is surrounded by yuppies that don't know how to hunt, trap, or fish. I live just outside an area that is a "ski village' and nobody knows how to take care of themselves or even how to fire a weapon. I don't think that people realize that in a survival situation the last thing you want to do is draw attention by using a firearm or having a wood fire. Knives, bows, and traps are what will be needed to keep a low profile. As for a wood fire, you can smell it for miles away. I think that people need to reassess food, medicine, and water before buying yet another firearm. Really, how many can you fire at once anyways? Infection, hypothermia, starvation, and clean water are what you need to consider because that is what will keep you alive. Yes, firearms are needed for protection but not to the extent that I've seen people take it.
Wow, that is different. Sort of makes sense though.

Where we settled after I retired is rural forest. 10 people [or less] per square-mile. Depressed economy that has been struggling since the 1950s. The primary local economy is tourism [hunting, fishing, ski slopes, and 3,000 miles of coast line].

In our township, maybe 1/4 of the properties have full-time residents living there. The rest are owned as camps; some are visited annually, others will go a decade between visits by the owners.

Most homes are heated with woodstoves. Every home has a generator. Gardens are a common sight. Hunting, trapping, fishing, foraging are all very common past times.

Nobody pays any attention to smoke from a woodstove or gunfire.

It is interesting how two 'middle of nowhere' places can be so completely different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness