Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times

Advertisements

I found it interesting just in concept. I know many people who call themselves preppers / survivalists who would definitely be in the first group to go once the SHTF.
My son in law is one of the biggest wanna bees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:37 AM

185 posts, read 242,114 times
The people who will survive the apocalypse and even thrive in it are the people who are already living in these conditions, not the ones who are privileged enough to daydream about it and even make preparing for it some kind of weird hobby.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
It seems that, once again, some people commenting do not understand prepping.

Prepping is not the same as self sufficiency. Prepping is not guaranteed long term survival.

Prepping is an advantage not really a solution. So, no, prepping doesn't mean you are guaranteed survival in every situation. What it means is that you are in better shape to deal with the situation, should one arise.

For just about any kind of emergency situation, having extra water, food, batteries, etc, give you an advantage over not having those supplies.

Additionally, prepping isn't necessarily about just supplies; it's also about things such as knowledge and even attitude.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
The people who will survive the apocalypse and even thrive in it are the people who are already living in these conditions, not the ones who are privileged enough to daydream about it and even make preparing for it some kind of weird hobby.
My other weird hobbies include, but are not limited to:
1. Buying health insurance (prepping for any financial expenses due to illness)
2. Buying life insurance (prepping my family for my unexpected death)
3. Investing in a 401K (prepping myself for retirement)
4. College saving for my kids (prepping for if they go to college and don't have scholarships)
5. Maintaining a generator in my garage (prepping for power outages)
6. Purchased a stand alone air conditioner (prepping for primary unit to fail or for when power is out)
7. Keeping gasoline cans in garage ready for filling (prepping for any approaching hurricane)

I can already tell you for a 100% fact, that "weird hobby" numbers 5, 6 and 7 have already paid off big-time.

In regards to 5, my generator made life a whole lot easier for the 17 days without power following Hurricane Ike plus multiple times when the power went out for hours at a time.

In regards to 6, it was used extensively after Ike and one other time when my primary AC went out due to a blown capacitor.

In regards to 7, it they were used for both Ike and the time my wife ran the minivan out of gas causing me to have to fill a can and take it to her.

Yes, I am a prepper "weirdo" who chooses to be prepared for as many events as I can while not going to extremes.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 AM

185 posts, read 242,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My other weird hobbies include, but are not limited to:
1. Buying health insurance (prepping for any financial expenses due to illness)
2. Buying life insurance (prepping my family for my unexpected death)
3. Investing in a 401K (prepping myself for retirement)
4. College saving for my kids (prepping for if they go to college and don't have scholarships)
5. Maintaining a generator in my garage (prepping for power outages)
6. Purchased a stand alone air conditioner (prepping for primary unit to fail or for when power is out)
7. Keeping gasoline cans in garage ready for filling (prepping for any approaching hurricane)

I can already tell you for a 100% fact, that "weird hobby" numbers 5, 6 and 7 have already paid off big-time.

In regards to 5, my generator made life a whole lot easier for the 17 days without power following Hurricane Ike plus multiple times when the power went out for hours at a time.

In regards to 6, it was used extensively after Ike and one other time when my primary AC went out due to a blown capacitor.

In regards to 7, it they were used for both Ike and the time my wife ran the minivan out of gas causing me to have to fill a can and take it to her.

Yes, I am a prepper "weirdo" who chooses to be prepared for as many events as I can while not going to extremes.
Just so you know, you're not who I was talking about.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Folks who today produce 100% + of their own food/energy will be in much better condition, as compared to folks who are consumers only.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
I agree. In the event of some cataclysmic world-wide disaster, it would be more likely for people living primitively in remote parts of South America or Asia to survive better than for people in most of North America or Europe. People who might not even be aware that "civilization" had tanked would be at a distinct advantage.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:18 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
It seems that, once again, some people commenting do not understand prepping.

Prepping is not the same as self sufficiency. Prepping is not guaranteed long term survival.

Prepping is an advantage not really a solution. So, no, prepping doesn't mean you are guaranteed survival in every situation. What it means is that you are in better shape to deal with the situation, should one arise.

For just about any kind of emergency situation, having extra water, food, batteries, etc, give you an advantage over not having those supplies.

Additionally, prepping isn't necessarily about just supplies; it's also about things such as knowledge and even attitude.
Maybe you didn't read the weird blog that the OP linked or the numerous posts fantasizing about a sudden and permanent collapse of law, order, sanity, etc, but the original premise of this thread and a lot of the posts in it are about that kind of stuff -- and how the posters were or could be "prepared" for that. I think that's what TennValleyDuuude is talking about, not about people who are prepared for some kind of short lived disaster like a tornado or ice-storm or power failure.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
We get a few preppers or wanna-be preppers in my neck of the woods.

I really like the flawed assumption that they will escape to the hills. The locals won't take too kindly to your presence. Y'all know we also have the means to defend our turf. We are probably also much better shots than most.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 PM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
...My other weird hobbies...
Don't sweat it. These days, anything other than what the rest of the herd does is considered a "weird hobby."

If you are not dinking around on your smartphone at Starbucks, sipping octuple lautiniomaniaccios, tweeting, texting, and sharing with 45,973 friends that you've just let a fart... you must be engaged in a "weird hobby."

If you don't give one iota of a damn about what most of the herd is mesmerized about... you must be engaged in a "weird hobby."

Considering that most of The Collective these days has gone bonkers for buffoonery, trivialities, toys, frivolities, and bagatelle, I'll stick with the "weird hobbies."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness