Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:50 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It's a Sunday, and I am sitting here in the kitchen with my wife and BIL, and we are all in stitches at what you just wrote! ROTFLMAO! Do you really think that Submariner and I chose to bring ourselves and families to the equivalent of Siberia because we are too poor to afford any better? Have you ever even been to Maine? I look out the window at this land...that is "covered in snow year round" (except for 2 months of "summer") and I can't see ANY snow...on the 21st of December! I was out with the dogs this morning, and it was NICE!

Mebbe our wood stove is turned up so high, it melted all the snow around our house for a quarter-mile circle, I dunno...
OK I guess everyone is ignorant and is just unaware of the summer-like conditions that Maine experiences year-round.

Look, life is possible almost anywhere. I lived in Canada for 5 years and people there went about their business, farmed, ranched etc. However, there is a reason why the population of Canada is 10 times less than population of United States. There is a reason why Maine is the least populated state east of the Mississippi. And the reason is not that people are nuts and don't want $300/acre land that is beautiful year round. The reason is that the place is "freeze your a** off almost year round".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I prep by knowing another language than English, so if things get bad, I immigrate out
When one talks of LEAVING one country more-or-less permanently, the term is emigrate. "Immigrate" means to ENTER another country.

Picky, I know. Among other things I taught and consulted in the field of business, technical and proposal writing, so whaddaya expect?

-- Nighteyes

Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Submariner and Nor' Eastah.... SHHHHH! :t ape:

One of the benefits of letting people have a misconseption about where you live is paramount to keeping them from moving in and destroying that wonderful lifestyle you have now!!

As long as Montana is considered a suburb of Sibera, (which it can be), many of those fragile temperate climate types will not even consider coming to a place where they might have discomfort of any kind.
Montana ran into problems when some of the movie stars started coming here, then their hangers-on followed, and the lifestyle went straight down the toilet. Luckily, we do get arctic blasts once in a while tha chases a bunch of them back to their palm trees and pina coladas.

Let them stay in the cities with their air conditioning and artificial, sterilized cubes.

Means that the life that you guys enjoy and what we used to have in Montana would stay wonderful the way it is without all the shrinking violets.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
The central Gulf Coast has four seasons. There's Summer, December, January and February. Minnesota also has four seasons: Almost-Winter, Winter, Still-Winter, and Road-Construction.

I suspect Montana and Maine are more similar to Minnesota than they are to the central Gulf Coast.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
The central Gulf Coast has four seasons. There's Summer, December, January and February. Minnesota also has four seasons: Almost-Winter, Winter, Still-Winter, and Road-Construction.

I suspect Montana and Maine are more similar to Minnesota than they are to the central Gulf Coast.
Actually, my father always used to say, "Montana has 2 seasons, 11 1/2 months of winter and 2 weeks of poor sleddin'"

Old 12-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Submariner and Nor' Eastah.... SHHHHH! :t ape:

One of the benefits of letting people have a misconseption about where you live is paramount to keeping them from moving in and destroying that wonderful lifestyle you have now!!
Boy you are so smug and think you are smarter than everyone else don't you?

It's not like people cannot do their research and find climate data on everything these days. I will say it again - there is a reason why Maine is the least populated state east of Mississippi. If the climate was so great and inviting, everyone would be in Maine and land would not be $300/acre.

Quote:
As long as Montana is considered a suburb of Sibera, (which it can be), many of those fragile temperate climate types will not even consider coming to a place where they might have discomfort of any kind.
Discomfort of any kind? Yeah. I lived 5 years in Canada so I know the climate - Montana is not any different. Neither is Maine, Minessota or any other state "up there".

Quote:
Montana ran into problems when some of the movie stars started coming here, then their hangers-on followed, and the lifestyle went straight down the toilet. Luckily, we do get arctic blasts once in a while tha chases a bunch of them back to their palm trees and pina coladas.
Again, you are just displaying your superiority complexes.

Quote:
Let them stay in the cities with their air conditioning and artificial, sterilized cubes.
Well, add denseness to the list

Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Actually, my father always used to say, "Montana has 2 seasons, 11 1/2 months of winter and 2 weeks of poor sleddin'"
In northern New England (that's Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire, for you Siberia-dwellers), the saying goes, "Eleven months of winter and one month of mighty cold weather".

We get 2 more weeks of non-winter than you Montanans!

Old 12-22-2014, 01:21 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
... there is a reason why Maine is the least populated state east of Mississippi. If the climate was so great and inviting, everyone would be in Maine and land would not be $300/acre.
We are a bit isolated. We do not have other states on four sides. There is no other state that you could sit in and think, gee I want to drive through Maine on my say to that other state.

Maine has Canada to our North and to our West, Maine has ocean to our East. The only has one border that Maine shares with another state.

Maine does not have any inter-state trucking that drives through Maine.

That has a lot of influence why people do or do not migrate here.

Maine also has had a long-term depressed economy. When modern refrigeration came along it killed the ice-block carving and shipping economy. People in Texas can now drink cold beer without the need for an ice-box. That was the last 'strong' economy that Maine had. Maine does not have many high paying jobs.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:41 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We are a bit isolated. We do not have other states on four sides. There is no other state that you could sit in and think, gee I want to drive through Maine on my say to that other state.

Maine has Canada to our North and to our West, Maine has ocean to our East. The only has one border that Maine shares with another state.

Maine also has had a long-term depressed economy. When modern refrigeration came along it killed the ice-block carving and shipping economy. People in Texas can now drink cold beer without the need for an ice-box. That was the last 'strong' economy that Maine had. Maine does not have many high paying jobs.
AMEN!

Old 12-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Yes but why? Florida on the south is isolated - try living in south Florida - it takes 6 hours just to get to the GA border.

The point I am making - even if Maine were isolated - if it had a great climate that many people like, it would be as densely populated as Florida. The fact is - it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness