Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Land up north to tend crops?

What if a meteor, or comet or volcanic eruption or bombs, throw up so much dust and debris that the suns rays don't penetrate efficiently? A new ice age is born and crops fail - especially up north.

Almost no fuel either. What do you tend crops with?

If the population is severely reduced, possible in many/most scenarios, land automatically is reduced in value.

I'm not aware of a bullet proof plan that doesn't involve living underground with vast resources stashed away.
]
You'd be surprised what you can produce on several acres of land even up north where it's harsh in the Winter.

I'm more referring to an EMT explosion, situation. Not a new ice age type of deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 03:49 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,969,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Have you ever heard of the eruption and subsequent explosion of Mt. Krakatoa? Civilization never stumbled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_e...limactic_phase
Krakatoa was a hiccup compared to Toba and a few others:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ha1K9jj9E

Very little of earths geologic history is well documented. Consider the Yellowstone super caldera. Something tells me that you probably have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8ipDsee0s

Old 10-01-2018, 04:54 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,405,260 times
It's a good thing that Yellowstone has all those fumeroles and steam vents. Otherwise.......

Many food plants can be grown inside a small greenhouse - from lettuce and romaine to sweet potatoes and tomatoes. Using a fish pond of tilapia or catfish and running the piping thru the benches, you solve two problems at once. We did in NW Montana for many years. About as far north as you would care to live. Then there was the trout streams and elk to eat. It's far enough north to not be affected by an eruption. We didn't get anything off Mt St Helens.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
It's a good thing that Yellowstone has all those fumeroles and steam vents. Otherwise.......

Many food plants can be grown inside a small greenhouse - from lettuce and romaine to sweet potatoes and tomatoes. Using a fish pond of tilapia or catfish and running the piping thru the benches, you solve two problems at once. We did in NW Montana for many years. About as far north as you would care to live. Then there was the trout streams and elk to eat. It's far enough north to not be affected by an eruption. We didn't get anything off Mt St Helens.
Worrying about Yellowstone would be like worrying about an asteroid hit.

I've been growing hydroponic tomatoes and bell peppers for years. I have an indoor herb garden as well.

There are trout five minutes from home.

I have eight pet chickens who provide me with eggs.

Donald Trump is my president.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,969,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Worrying about Yellowstone would be like worrying about an asteroid hit.

I've been growing hydroponic tomatoes and bell peppers for years. I have an indoor herb garden as well.

There are trout five minutes from home.

I have eight pet chickens who provide me with eggs.

Sounds like somebody is happy in Wyoming.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in

Amen to that.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,183,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
You'd be surprised what you can produce on several acres of land even up north where it's harsh in the Winter.
Really? That's amusing, because during the mini-Ice Age, the growing season for areas north of Interstate 80 in the US was reduced to just 6 weeks.

You couldn't till the soil until the first week of July, and the first frost came and killed and ruined everything around the 2nd week of August.

The New England Colonies, and there were more than 100, were in near-famine conditions, and thousands of Native Americans died of famine, because they couldn't grow enough food.

Millions of people in Central Europe, mainly in the Scandinavian countries, Poland, the Baltic States, Germany and the Netherlands died of famine.

The growing season in the area between I-70 and I-80 was reduced to 10 weeks.

Even today with modern mechanical agriculture, you cannot plow if the soil is frozen.

Nearly all farmers use rip plows, and the test is taking a standard rod of iron rebar and hitting it with a 5-pound sledgehammer. If the soil isn't frozen, it should go at least 3"-4" into the soil, and you can plow.

If not, you can't plow.

In the event of a mini-Ice Age, you lose all crops in Canada, and about 40% of crops in the US.

That's a lot of food to lose.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Really? That's amusing, because during the mini-Ice Age, the growing season for areas north of Interstate 80 in the US was reduced to just 6 weeks.

You couldn't till the soil until the first week of July, and the first frost came and killed and ruined everything around the 2nd week of August.

The New England Colonies, and there were more than 100, were in near-famine conditions, and thousands of Native Americans died of famine, because they couldn't grow enough food.

Millions of people in Central Europe, mainly in the Scandinavian countries, Poland, the Baltic States, Germany and the Netherlands died of famine.

Even today with modern mechanical agriculture, you cannot plow if the soil is frozen.

Nearly all farmers use rip plows, and the test is taking a standard rod of iron rebar and hitting it with a 5-pound sledgehammer. If the soil isn't frozen, it should go at least 3"-4" into the soil, and you can plow.

If not, you can't plow.

In the event of a mini-Ice Age, you lose all crops in Canada, and about 40% of crops in the US.

Dead right....up north in winter the frozen ground is like concrete. There is no way to till, plant or grow in those conditions. Plus the cold temps/winds would kill off any plants you could get in the ground before the freeze.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:25 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
LAND???

... Give me a nice chunk of land somewhere up north in the middle of nowhere to be left alone to tend my crops, fish, and poach deer, and I think I could make it work.
I know a lot of people with small-scale farms in Maine. We do okay with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Don't forget the Maunder Minimum.....when it was so cold the Mississippi River froze over. When your money coukdnt buy a stick of wood to burn.
Rivers freeze every winter where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Dead right....up north in winter the frozen ground is like concrete. There is no way to till, plant or grow in those conditions. Plus the cold temps/winds would kill off any plants you could get in the ground before the freeze.
On my land, normal frost goes down 4 foot deep, every winter.

Farms produce pretty good though

Old 10-03-2018, 07:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

If not, you can't plow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Golly, you guys are so smart, but how come Canada produces so much wheat?

There's currently no ice age, mini- or regular.

BTW, Canada produces so much wheat because of long summer days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness