Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:08 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,072,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
We do too Cicero. There are plenty of beekeepers where we live, and you can still get it in a Mason jar with the honeycomb.
What is the best temperature for storing it to prevent or slow down crystallization? Or do you go through a jar so quickly it doesn't happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As an FYI, pollen in honey means jack squat as far as nutrition and quality. Pollen just identifies the flora of the plants used to produce the honey. The amount of pollen in honey is minuscule. It's just reverse marketing by the raw honey industry to convince those who don't do independent research to think honey with pollen adds to the quality of the honey in your jar. All pollen is used for is to identify the flora of the honey and based on that, the likely country of origin. Remember, honey is not produced from pollen and is just left over trash (like leftover wax, dirt, bee body parts, etc) that fell off the bees into the honey, but it's not integral to the honey itself.

I'm surprised so many "self sufficient" and "self reliant" think otherwise.
That is my understanding too but as to your last sentence, only one poster stated otherwise and that poster does not post here regularly. You can put away that giant paintbrush.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:38 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
What is the best temperature for storing it to prevent or slow down crystallization? Or do you go through a jar so quickly it doesn't happen?
Pure honey can start to crystallize in as soon as 1 week. Sometimes not for years.

To get rid of the crystallization, place the container in hot but not boiling water and let stand until liquefied.

Myself, I put the Mason jar in a pot with a few inches of water and slowly heat it up.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Pure honey can start to crystallize in as soon as 1 week. Sometimes not for years.

To get rid of the crystallization, place the container in hot but not boiling water and let stand until liquefied.

Myself, I put the Mason jar in a pot with a few inches of water and slowly heat it up.
I'll do that. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Boiling water is much faster. Just be sure that the honey container isn't completely sealed. I have a large jar of honey that I've had for at least ten years as I am seldom in the mood. I assume that it will be necessary to liquify it each time I use it. The same procedure works for sorghum.

Molasses, sorghum, treacle, and many other syrups have long, perhaps indefinite, shelf lives. Molasses and sorghum have been tested after seventy years and there were no differences in composition. An exception is maple syrup which should be consumed within a year as it's subject to mould.

Refined sugar has an indefinite shelf life, no need to rotate as long as it's sealed.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:21 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times
I've done both what Ryan and Wyoming have done Sagacious, it just depends on how quickly I need the results.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:06 AM

I read somewhere that storing it at cooler temps can delay crystallization but it wasn't specific. No temp was given.

So I dug around more and found this but can't vouch for accuracy

Quote:
Іn саѕеѕ whеrе соnѕіdеrаblе dеlау іn сrуѕtаllіzаtіоn іѕ dеѕіrеd, аѕ fаr аѕ thаt іѕ роѕѕіblе, іt іѕ thе tеmреrаturе thаt ѕhоuld bе mаіnlу соnѕіdеrеd. Аt rооm tеmреrаturе, thе сrуѕtаllіzаtіоn prосеѕѕ, dереndіng оn thе tуре оf hоnеу, wоuld ѕtаrt іn ѕеvеrаl wееkѕ, mоnthѕ, аnd vеrу rаrеlу іn ѕеvеrаl dауѕ.

Сооlеr tеmреrаturеѕ (bеlоw 10°С) аrе іdеаl fоr сrуѕtаllіzаtіоn dеlау, whеrеаѕ tеmреrаturеѕ frоm 10°С tо 21°С fаvоr thе рrосеѕѕ. Ніghеr tеmреrаturеѕ (21°С - 27°С) dеlау сrуѕtаllіzаtіоn lіkе thе lоwеr оnеѕ, but соuld аffесt nеgаtіvеlу ѕоmе оf thе vаluаblе hоnеу соmроnеntѕ. Ѕtіll hіghеr tеmреrаturеѕ ѕuссеѕѕfullу рrеvеnt сrуѕtаllіzаtіоn, but іrrеvосаblу ѕроіl (dеѕtrоу) hоnеу wіth nо lеѕѕ ѕuссеѕѕ. Why does honey crystallize?

Both subzero and extreme temperatures affect honey negatively.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:27 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,431 times
Honey is wonderful just keep in mind we adults need 1500 calories daily during survival . Added to oatmeal, cereal and crackers will enhance otherwise flavorless survival diet. Got honey?

Old 05-07-2016, 12:08 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
.... just keep in mind we adults need 1500 calories daily during survival .
In a survival situation, "we adults" will need 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Don't know if this has ever been brought up, but since honey is the perfect food, I was wondering if any of you have it in your stores?
Honey is for medical purposes. Fill the wound with sugar, cover with honey, and bandage.

The sugar bars the growth of harmful bacteria (that would cause serious infection), the honey will seal out other bacteria, plus help kill harmful bacteria in the wound, and the bandage keeps everything together, preventing further infection. Even without sugar, the honey will keep infection to a minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness