Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:53 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times

Advertisements

I have recently been viewing Youtube videos on how to stay safe as a tourist when travelling (particularly overseas). Getting robbed, pick pocketed, bag or purse slashed or snatched, all are potential incidents for the traveler.

Simply dressing in something like an olive drab pair of cargo pants (or shorts) tactical style belt, T-Shirt or coat that says "10th Mountain Division" or "Marine Corps", etc. for men, Karate or Martial Arts, Rock Climbing, "Survival Camp Graduate" shirt or coat for women, children, teens, etc. may well give the impression you would be a person to "pass up" for above mentioned activities.

I notice when coming off a hike and stopping at the supermarket or store in my green cargo pants, "Timberland" shirt and hiking boots the "chuggers" (charity muggers) that set up camp by the entrances tend to let me pass in peace over when I am dressed otherwise, and I haven't even gone full "Mountain Division" on them yet.

The impression this image may give to dubious characters may include the following:

A.You may not be a wealthy tourist, no Ferrari or Aston Martin in the garage back home.
B. You may have skills and training that would make getting into a "physical encounter" a bad idea.
C. If you are carrying money or valuables, they are likely well secured in a strategic location.

Thoughts, Ideas, Additions...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 PM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
I haven't traveled for many years, but I lived a short time in Peru. So, I was likely seen as a tourist while their by most folks in passing that I never interacted with. It's hard to not stick out in a place like Lima, but I always dressed down and much like most people there--jeans and tee shirt. Always tried to blend in. I always put money and important paperwork in an ankle belt.

Also, I have (or had, I don't know if I still do) an ability to speak foreign languages without an accent, even if I didn't actually know the languages all that well--I was just able to mimic sounds well. But I did know Spanish well and I spoke it with virtually no "colorado" (that's what the locals in Lima called white people) accent; most people I interacted with didn't even realize I was not a native speaker. If anything, they would ask if I was from Spain (I practiced pronunciation a lot with Spanish speakers from Spain when I was learning Spanish). I think language is a HUGE factor in how you are perceived by local peoples. Even though I'm white, all the Peruvians I spoke with were definitely more "accepting" once they heard zero "gringo" accent or common grammar mistakes. I'd doubt I could pull that off now. I haven't used much Spanish in years and you really do have to move your mouth differently if you want to speak any foreign language without an English accent.

Speaking of languages, is your status message written in Welsh? Reason I ask is that I used to know a bit of Irish Gaelic, which is vaguely similar to Welsh (distant in the Celtic language family) and it looks a tiny bit familiar. Looks like Breton a little bit as well...

Old 03-07-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Speaking of languages, is your status message written in Welsh? Reason I ask is that I used to know a bit of Irish Gaelic, which is vaguely similar to Welsh (distant in the Celtic language family) and it looks a tiny bit familiar. Looks like Breton a little bit as well...
Chris, by using wardrobe and language skills you made yourself more "invisible" as a potential tourist target. This my well be the best method if you possess the skills to do so, which clearly you have. A target someone cannot see is better than an inopportune target, or an identified one someone chooses to "pass" on.

Yes, indeed my status is in Welsh Gaelic, and I have Welsh ancestors. You have a keen and educated eye and if you are an American Citizen you dodge the following joke:

"People that speak three languages are called "Tri-Lingual", people that speak two languages are called "Bi-Lingual", and people who speak one language are called "Americans"...

Old 03-08-2018, 03:00 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
When in Russia and Ukraine, I both speak pretty good Russian, and dress pretty similar to the natives (that fur hat and long coat not only look good, they are warm). I have been told that I more or less pass for some sort of "Generic East European" person, and don't particularly look like an American visitor.

I had not thought about wearing a USMC t-shirt, or similar. I don't see how that would go wrong.

Probably most important is what Uncle Jeff called "staying in condition yellow, and not in condition white" - being aware of your surroundings, not wandering into dark alleys where you are an easier target, etc.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

I had not thought about wearing a USMC t-shirt, or similar. I don't see how that would go wrong.
Be sure to paint a target on the shirt as well. The goal is to be the gray man, not to stand out.

I was in Juarez during the time when people were warned not to travel there. I dressed as any older man who could have been a tourist or shopper. I had no problems whatsoever.

If I saw the corpse of a big shot tough guy I'd probably start laughing. He looked for trouble; he found it.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:30 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Yeah, what could go wrong in a foreign country when wearing something identifying yourself as a member of the hated American military?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
When in Russia and Ukraine, I both speak pretty good Russian, and dress pretty similar to the natives (that fur hat and long coat not only look good, they are warm). I have been told that I more or less pass for some sort of "Generic East European" person, and don't particularly look like an American visitor.
I have to admit, I am envious of you multi-linguists, and again, you have used your skills and "passability" to your advantage to blend in and not be noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Yeah, what could go wrong in a foreign country when wearing something identifying yourself as a member of the hated American military?
Yes, you and Happy In Wyoming have a point. One would not want to wear American Military garb in the Middle East right now. But there are countries that favor the military. A vet friend of mine was recently in France with his "Veteran" hat on and an elderly French woman who survived WW2 came up and hugged him and started to cry, so thankful the allies liberated her town.

Also, not everyone has language and "blendability" skills, and may ethnically stand out like a sore thumb in certain countries. If one wanted to forego the military association, there are still wardrobe choices I pointed out in my initial post they could go with.

At the very least, a neutral garb that might paint someone as a good candidate to pass on by those up to no good would be something athletic, "Rock Jock" clothing worn my climbers and mountaineers, etc. It would still give the impression the person would likely be in good shape, be traveling sparingly with few valuable possessions ( who wants to trash their Rolex on a climb?) Drives a beat up 1998 Land Rover at home, etc.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
I recently ran into something called "camo camo".

Seems that dressing in regular camouflage (of whatever type) does attract attention, if one is not in the woods. But wearing camo camo in town, will not. What is it? Simply to dress in earth-toned clothing that is of a solid color. Charcoal gray (my fave), tan, OD, brown, even wine. Avoid white, blue, red, yellow, orange, pink (yuck), or any pastel color.

Anyone dressed in darker, muted earth tones will not attract attention in any city or foreign country.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:26 AM

136 posts, read 135,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I recently ran into something called "camo camo".

Seems that dressing in regular camouflage (of whatever type) does attract attention, if one is not in the woods. But wearing camo camo in town, will not. What is it? Simply to dress in earth-toned clothing that is of a solid color. Charcoal gray (my fave), tan, OD, brown, even wine. Avoid white, blue, red, yellow, orange, pink (yuck), or any pastel color.

Anyone dressed in darker, muted earth tones will not attract attention in any city or foreign country.
It's pretty much all I have worn for years; my kids used to tease me that all I would wear is some variant of earth tone colors.

My other clothing pet peeve are clothing manufacturers who expect you to be walking billboards for their company name/logo. If you're going to splash your company name across the entire front of a piece of clothing, you should be paying ME to wear that item. I'm looking at companies like North Face or Under Armor when I say this, but just about any major clothing store that you find in a mall today is guilty of this behavior. It's impossible to buy completely logo-less pieces from some brands, but I'll try to find the items with the most discrete logo when I am shopping. A little tab next to a shirt pocket with the company name on it, for instance.

I live in a college town with a high foreign student population, and based ion my past travels around the planet and what I see these kids wearing, this clothing-as-billboard practice is largely an American clothing company practice.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 AM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Yes, the billboard-for-our-company clothing is definitely something I have always avoided. I have at times worn "billboards" for other topics or causes, but not so much these days. I've never worn camo, though, other than when hunting. Never have liked the look or the "culture" that surrounds it. In fact, I was saddened when the military went from the olive drab clothing to the camo they have now.

As for clothing in general, I have found a company on the internet that carries clothing patterned from (you guessed it! ) the eighteenth and and nineteenth centuries. I don't wear it all the time, but it is surprisingly comfortable. The shirts tend to be rather loose and do look a bit formal for today's typical attire, not to mention "old west." But, oh well, I wear what I like. I especially like the different sort of collar they used back then.

It's the pants I like most, though--at least one particular pattern. They are very high waist, go up to sort of an inverted W in the back with a cinch buckle, and have buttons for suspenders (which I don't use). They are heavy canvas and stand up to work. I find that, unlike almost EVERY pair of pants made today, they actually stay up without a belt and they aren't so low-waisted that your butt is shining all day. They wouldn't work for someone who is hefty because, in a way, they are a bit like a corset around the middle. They are very different from pants of today, but I find them extremely comfortable. I never have to wear a belt or pull them up. They stay up on their own. All they need is a better selection of colors (black and khaki get old after while). I don't wear them with a tee-shirt, though because, comically, with the extremely high waist and the buttons on top, it kinda does look like I'm wearing a corset under there. And as of yet, I haven't yet seen that "retro" trend for women, let alone men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness