Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And if someone goes and stabs ten people to death with a kitchen utility or butcher knife, why should one be able to call it a kitchen utility or butcher knife? Let's call it an "assault knife" so everyone can be afraid of it and we can demonize it... rather than demonizing the creep that used it. I swear sometimes you folks would be happy to put the rifle on the witness stand and let the psychopath go. You blame the tool rather than blaming the "craftsman."
You nailed it. In fact, some cases have already gone that way,
and in some places in (formerly great) Briton, they are confiscating
all of the knives (that aren't in Islamist hands), just to insure they
cannot defend themselves.
(Carrying any weapon for self defense has
been illegal in formerly great Briton, since 1953)

Quote:
"Not thinking rationally" is blaming the killings on the means of killing rather then the killer. "Not thinking rationally" is assuming that everyone who owns an "assault rifle" is going to be the next mass murderer BECAUSE he or she owns an assault rifle. "Not thinking rationally" is harboring the notion that owning an "assault rifle" is somehow like a gypsy curse that turns normal, well-balanced people into homicidal maniacs.
I recall a statement made to a female reporter who
told a range instructor that he equipping all of his
students to be mass murderers.
"As a woman, you are equipped to be a p.......e"

Last edited by TRex2; 05-08-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 02:16 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
You nailed it. In fact, some cases have already gone that way,
and in some places in (formerly great) Briton, they are confiscating
all of the knives (that aren't in Islamist hands), just to insure they
cannot defend themselves.
(Carrying any weapon for self defense has
been illegal in formerly great Briton, since 1953)

I recall a statement made to a female reporter who
told a range instructor that he equipping all of his
students to be mass murderers.
"As a woman, you are equipped to be a p.......e"
No amount of logic or reasoning will work with someone who can't objectively look at an issue without reverting to emotions and talking points.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
No amount of logic or reasoning will work with someone who can't objectively look at an issue without reverting to emotions and talking points.
I have a file of conservative talking points somewhere around here,
but I have only used each one once, and that was the time I created
them. Well, the following one, I didn't make up, and have used it
about twice, before today.

The problem with our liberal friends isn't that they are ignorant,
it is just that they know so much that isn't so. -- Ronald Reagan.

I do quote the Founding Fathers from time to time.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Link, please.

Here's a USA map of Firearm death rates in the U.S. by State:

State firearm death rates, 2013. Rate per 100,000 population.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te%2C_2013.jpg

It appears to tell a far different story than what you suggest.

The states with the lowest firearm death rates are California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York.
Data out is only as good as data in!!!!!!!! Or, how you interpret the information.

Look at total deaths, not deaths per 100,000

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-up/359395002/

Old 05-08-2018, 09:10 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Link, please.

Here's a USA map of Firearm death rates in the U.S. by State:

State firearm death rates, 2013. Rate per 100,000 population.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te%2C_2013.jpg

It appears to tell a far different story than what you suggest.

The states with the lowest firearm death rates are California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York.
A map of states per capita numbers does not tell the whole story. A more accurate way is to look at the actual data, which clearly shows that Black Americans commit about 60% of the gun homicides.

Here's an overview of the FBI crime statistics.

If you drill down to murders by offender by race & gender, you get this table which shows that Blacks commit more murders than whites. Somewhere on this site is a correlation between race and homicide and weapon type, showing that Black-on-Black gun homicides are 60%. Note that Blacks are 13% of the U.S. population.

This table shows what types of weapons were used including handguns versus rifles versus knives, by state. Notice that California had (in 2010) by far the most homicides using handguns, almost twice as many as Texas.

In fact, the top five states for firearm-related murders were: California, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan.

If you go to bjs.gov, that site will give you a lot of similar information in a more raw form, but will flesh out the numbers and you will then see that my statements are based on careful research and not just pulled out of thin air.

Incidentally, most white gun deaths are from suicide.

The picture is even grimmer than I described, unfortunately. About 40% of murders are unsolved, meaning that the FBI has the victim statistics but not the perpetrator statistics. Yet, many if not most of the unsolved murders have black victims, so it's pretty safe to assume that most of those were also black-on-black.

Thus, probably closer to 70% of all gun homicides in the US are committed by less than 1% of the population, that is small fraction of black males 16-39 who are gang bangers, drug dealers etc. who take out their rivals in the ghettos and so forth.

If you could round up those louts, then in one fell swoop our per capita gun homicides drop down to the same level as Canada and Western Europe, or maybe one percentage point higher. In other words, not a reason to ban guns.

Now, a few mentally ill commit horrific mass murders using guns every year. Would they stop if we banned the AR-15? No one would say this with a straight face. Get real.

The problem is not guns; it's a total failure of law enforcement to do its job. Nearly all of the mass murders in the past twenty years happened despite foreknowledge by the FBI and/or local law enforcement. They knew about the Orlando shooter. They knew about the Parkland Florida shooter. They knew about the Boston Marathon bombers. They knew about the Texas church shooter. They knew about the wacko at Fort Hood. On and on and on. These idiots can't even do their jobs. I mean, you can call them up and tell them some scary kid is talking about shooting up a school, and they drop the ball and don't pick him up, don't even notify the local office.

Get the FBI to do its job that you or I could easily do. Get the gang bangers off the street. That's how you solve the gun murder problems.

But banning certain types of guns that "look scary"? That's just a bad joke!

Last edited by blisterpeanuts; 05-08-2018 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Get the FBI to do its job that you or I could easily do. Get the gang bangers off the street. That's how you solve the gun murder problems.
The FBI is too busy trying to cover up the fact that they are still working for Obama and the Demoncrats LoL!

But thanks for the link, even though it probably won't matter to someone who posts leftist talking points about "gun deaths," when the (temporary) topic was homicides, and the real subject was pointing out that we should not be patronizing a store who is using its money to hire a propaganda firm to undermine the US Constitution.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:57 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The FBI is too busy trying to cover up the fact that they are still working for Obama and the Demoncrats LoL!

But thanks for the link, even though it probably won't matter to someone who posts leftist talking points about "gun deaths," when the (temporary) topic was homicides, and the real subject was pointing out that we should not be patronizing a store who is using its money to hire a propaganda firm to undermine the US Constitution.
Yes, and my apologies for wandering off the topic; I just couldn't help myself! There are an awful lot of these posters out there claiming to be ex-military yet strangely ignorant about firearms.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Yes, and my apologies for wandering off the topic; I just couldn't help myself! There are an awful lot of these posters out there claiming to be ex-military yet strangely ignorant about firearms.
Or worse: oathbreakers.

BTW: this is good humor:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3647563/posts
Quote:
The number of checks in March 2018 was 2,767,699. That is 245,000 more than in 2016, the previous all-time record for of 2,523,265. The number of checks for the first quarter of 2018 is 7,131,422. That is 6% higher than the first quarter of 2017.

It is obvious that the all-out push for bans on rifles, accessories such as detachable magazines and trick stocks, has re-ignited the concerns of those who refuse to be disarmed.

It is not an unreasonable concern, considering Justice Stevens called for a repeal of the Second Amendment. President Trump has only been able to appoint one Supreme Court Justice. One or two more originalist and textualists justices are necessary to secure the Second Amendment.

Legislators and most of the Media and Democrats are calling for banning the sale of the most popular rifle in the United States, the AR-15. President Trump seemed to falter, then regained his support for the Second Amendment.

NICS checks are related to the number of guns added to the private stock in the United States but are not the same for a number of reasons.
also
https://www.daybydaycartoon.com/wp-c.../05/050818.jpg

Last edited by TRex2; 05-09-2018 at 06:16 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
I think it very much matters what the definition of "assault weapon" is, considering you have a large segment of our population that wishes to ban something that has not been defined, or is not easily-defined.

I was in Dick's not too long before this mess started and the gun and hunting section was practically non-existent. Yes, there was plenty of their junk house brand shotgun ammo. Some rifle rounds. Maybe a dozen guns on the rack. This will probably wind up being a bunch of free advertising for Dick's even though it didn't really work out all that well for them.

If Dick's wants to stop selling firearms, that's perfectly okay. If they want to cave to the whims of protesters, fine. I'm not a stockholder (thank goodness, down 9.64% over the last month as of this post). They will have to answer to them at some point, and address the destruction of inventory. But that's all fine.

Where they crossed the line was hiring lobbyists to go for gun control. That is what I think will wind up putting a hurtin' on them and I can't wait to see what happens at their next shareholder meeting. Wreck yourself and your business all you want. Don't go screwing with anyone's Constitutional Rights.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:40 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You're talking about me. No problem. I never claimed to be a firearms expert, and I do not wish to be. I have never seen an AR-15, but I do not need to have detailed knowledge of the weapon to understand what it is capable of and how it has been used in mass shootings.

For the record, I not only "claim" to be ex-military, I am a former mortarman (11C34 as I stated - 3 is for Staff Sergeant, 4 is for Recruiter - I spent time doing that) and served in all peacetime assignments (just making that clear to make sure anyone understands I don't claim to be any type of war hero - I'm far from it). So if you are not convinced I don't have enough knowledge of an M-16 or other military weapons, that is your problem. But I have moved on to another career over the past 25 years.

While I fully support the 2nd Amendment, I recognize it was written at a time of wanting to break away from England and the average citizen had serious threats against them on a frequent basis.

In a perfect world or nation, we could own any weapon we want and store as much ammo as we want. However, many have abused that privilege, such as people like Adam Lanza and his mother who advocated the use of high powered weapons, James Holmes, Stephen Paddock and others.

The problem these days is, the collective moral fiber of this nation is eroding faster and faster every day.
So when you have kids that can't play with their toys in a nice way, you take them away from them. Yup, the kids who played nicely may have to suffer.

Yes, I get that there are many who own high-powered weapons that use them on a range or whatever and there are no problems. We never hear about them. But I also question how many of those weapons end up somewhere else and into the wrong hands of someone unstable.

You can't tell me for a minute that a gun shop owner who may be struggling to make enough money won't sell a weapon for $600-$700 or whatever they cost to someone they see who might be a little off-kilter and they may fudge a background check or even if they do one, it may not turn up anything.

Overall, I view the issue trying to give weight to both sides, The responsible gun owners and the 2nd Amendment and realizing the destruction these high rate of fire weapons have caused. With all these mass shootings over the past 30 some years, this isn't the nation we want.

I'm more than happy to have the next mass shooter executed live on tv and in public to hopefully discourage the next one. I believe if James Holmes, who was an educated college student had seen that execution of a shooter before him, he may have decided not to do what he did.

And I also get that criminals don't follow laws. So, as you can tell, I support widespread and frequent use of the death penalty. Maybe this is what allows the responsible gun owners to keep the weapons they have.

When you can convince one of the family members of a shooting victim that you NEED to have an AR-15 or similar weapon, then I'll change my opinion.

Overall I think we need a solution that provides balance on both sides of the issue. I could go on and on and make my position more clear, but I don't have the time or desire to do so.

Have a wonderful day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness