Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"That's pretty dishonest when it's really $1.50 don't you think?
https://www.latimes.com/world/mexico...htmlstory.html"

$1.50 is a lot of money when your wages are $27/month.
Absolutely.

But it's a far cry from $150 when your wages are $27/month.

And that's why people are hussling, not just working a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 08:03 AM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
That is good.
I won't say how many I have, but I will say that "thousands" is probably not the term I would use.
But I have enough for my purposes.
Well, I am a coin collector/hoarder, I don't get rid of anything. So, I have accumulated a good amount from extended family that have passed on.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
One way of monetizing gold is a gold chain. You just clip off one or two links and drop them on a powder scale. There are 480 grains to a troy ounce. At today's price, that's a little over $3/grain. If you make the chain out of 18 kt. gold, that drops it to $2.60/grain. That solves the problem of excessive gold value. If you pre-clip a few links, you can keep the chain hidden.

This was a medieval merchant's trick. A balance beam powder scale measures in grains and doesn't even need batteries.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:58 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
For consideration of possible bartering I like silver dimes. Depending on the spot price of silver they are generally worth in the ~ $1.50 USD range most of the time. I call them the "new silver dollar". I actually got one from a cashier about a year ago which would be rare on it's own but I almost never pay cash for anything so its even more unusual.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:48 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
For consideration of possible bartering I like silver dimes. Depending on the spot price of silver they are generally worth in the ~ $1.50 USD range most of the time. I call them the "new silver dollar". I actually got one from a cashier about a year ago which would be rare on it's own but I almost never pay cash for anything so its even more unusual.
For the purposes of bartering after SHTF, I generally use the expression "worth ten times face value," even though it is nowhere near precise, simply because I can usually get get them to understand that, without a calculator. I am always amazed at how many cannot multiply by 15 without a calculator.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:22 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
You will run into the problem of younger people (and the older ones are dying off every day...) who never heard of dimes being made of 90% silver. Don't laugh. You can go to a coin dealer today who will know what you have. But if coin dealers are closed, try and use those dimes for "barter". People will give you 10 cents worth of credit - IF the dollar still has any value.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:25 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You will run into the problem of younger people (and the older ones are dying off every day...) who never heard of dimes being made of 90% silver. Don't laugh. You can go to a coin dealer today who will know what you have. But if coin dealers are closed, try and use those dimes for "barter". People will give you 10 cents worth of credit - IF the dollar still has any value.
You'll still be better off than people trying to pay for things in Bitcoin with the electricity and internet down. But in all seriousness, I remember in the 70's or 80's when silver hit near $40 (almost $120/ounce adjusted for inflation) people knew where the silver was and they scrounged and sold it. People were selling whatever silverware was mixed in with their flatware. Now silverware is virtually non-existent. If silver was worth $120/ounce again sorting through old piggy banks will be all the rage.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:37 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You will run into the problem of younger people (and the older ones are dying off every day...) who never heard of dimes being made of 90% silver. ...
I think a lot of that problem would sort itself out in a short time,
if people see a few among them have a preference for the
older coins. Of course, by the time they do, things will be pretty
bad, and I would stash my silver for a later date, in hopes that
things even out and trading becomes reasonably normal.

Once things return to normal, I think junk silver will have some value.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:27 AM

1,086 posts, read 1,275,428 times
I don't think people would recognize pure (or mostly pure) metal coins.

Quoting (and paraphrasing) Dr. Larry Bates:

Money should be a store of value. It should have value today, tomorrow and in the future.

It should be easily recognizable as money.

It should be universally acceptable.

It should be easily divisible.

It should have intrinsic value.

It should be impossible to counterfeit.

It should be durable.

It should have high value in small quantities.

It should be easy to handle, i.e. easy to store, transport and exchange.

It should be scarce.

Our current money does not fit most of this!

I have silver coins, a few gold, and I also store items I consider to be barter goods. Just in case.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Money should be a store of value. It should have value today, tomorrow and in the future.
No, it shouldn't.

The purpose of money is to facilitate consumer transactions, and nothing more.

Your stupid doctor should be smart enough to know that, but apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness