Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 09:24 PM

1,811 posts, read 900,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Food for thought. I was staying in a hotel, and went for ice. The door closed, but somehow triggered the little flip over lock, so I was unable to get back in (the door opened about 2"). Went to the front desk, maintenance guy came up with a little tool, and had me back in in about 10 seconds. I wondered about how secure I was since.
This was New York, so I never carry when I travel there.
I usually stay at Motel 6 and watched a SWAT be defeated by one of their doors. They finally ended up breaking out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 09:41 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
I would avoid upper floors if height in a hotel setting was your fear for a quick exit or fires - although fires in hotel are quite rare with all the building code requirements. It's good to carry a glass breaking tool and you can get some simple ones that look like conventional pen (Tac pen).

The swing bolt safeties (as someone mentioned) are fairly easy to defeat for someone intent on breaking into a hotel room. Another 'safety security' tool which is effective to warn you of an intruder is the door stop alarm. They are about $10 at the home improvement type stores.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:52 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Don't forget to watch some of the YouTube videos about how easy it is to open those swing-bar "security locks" from the outside of the room. They're worthless. I always prop the desk chair up under the doorknob so that at least I'm alerted by the clatter of it being knocked over if someone breaks in.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:17 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
On another hotel safety note,
Check your safe to see if it still has the default code like 1234 or something stupid like that.
I was going to mention this!!!

Old 10-18-2021, 10:38 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
I stayed near the top floor at a hotel in Los Angeles. Came downstairs and asked if anyone else felt that big earthquake. Nope.

As for windows opening, I just like them open for fresh air anyway, not a fan of a/c unless super hot.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:01 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I stayed near the top floor at a hotel in Los Angeles. Came downstairs and asked if anyone else felt that big earthquake. Nope.

As for windows opening, I just like them open for fresh air anyway, not a fan of a/c unless super hot.
This makes sense due to how buildings are constructed. Foundations are isolated and dispersed throughout the structure. The higher you are the more its emphasized. It probably didnt seem like it at the time, but you feeling that movement was the safest possible outcome.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...quake-rollers/

Old 10-18-2021, 03:37 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
I generally choose the second or third floor making sure I could handle the distance to ground level in an emergency. Ground level floors, especially those with a balcony/patio with outside entrance make them too easy for someone to enter, back a truck or car up to, etc., and more people staying in the hotel are likely to pass your room over one's on the upper floors.

Apparently Korea has a leg up on us with apartment and hotel safety, including emergency window hammers and rappelling anchors, ropes and harnesses....

Korean Hotel/Apartment Safety

Old 11-12-2021, 07:44 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
As a prior business traveler...

The best floor to stay on in a hotel is the third floor.

Parking lot etc noise on the ground floor and easy pedestrian access to windows rules out floor #1. Floor #2 doesn't immediately fix either one of these issues.

Floor #3 is close enough to the ground one could quickly make a rope with the sheets to escape if they needed to, is far enough from the ground to be quieter, and since I don't like elevators, is just the right number of stairs to go up and down without feeling like it's too much.

If you have to stay at an airport hotel, the worst floor to stay on is the top floor. The aircraft noise is 100x quieter on the floor below.

Room safes are a gimmick. Thefts are inside jobs from people who have access to the rooms and safes anyway. You're better off hiding valuables or using diversion tactics.
Don't put valuables where they are expected to be. You might as well give them a treasure map. Don't leave anything in your hotel room you can't afford to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness