Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 06:30 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times

Advertisements

On two recent trips I stayed in two different major chain hotels in which the windows in the rooms were fixed and non-opening/operable. In both situations I did not stay on a floor higher than I could survive a fall from and I have the skill/knowledge to have broken either window for egress if necessary, yet I find this a disturbing trend.

Apparently in most cases, structures like these do not require operable windows by code because they are either:

A. In a fully sprinklered building.
B. With rooms directly opening into corridors leading to exits in two directions.
C. More than 22.6 meters (75 feet) above the ground.

So with "C" I'm guessing they figure your better off with the sprinklers and corridor/exits over jumping.

I just may add a window breaking safety device and folding/roll up window safety ladder for future stays...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 08:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
I've thought about that while staying for months on Floor 65 or 66 in Singapore. I think my ladder might be a tad short.

Suggest to book away from mechanical room, but near exit escape. Not directly over trash bins or kitchen.

Sleep well.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Stay only on the ground floor. Small towns always have motels that provide this as well as most urban areas.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I've thought about that while staying for months on Floor 65 or 66 in Singapore. I think my ladder might be a tad short.

Suggest to book away from mechanical room, but near exit escape. Not directly over trash bins or kitchen.

Sleep well.
Good advice on room location. In Singapore how close to the roof were you? I will provide that the following thoughts are for "entertainment purposes only" and not to be taken seriously or followed, but I can see an experienced person in one or more of the following disciplines rappelling, BASE jumping or hang gliding in an emergency that limited choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Stay only on the ground floor. Small towns always have motels that provide this as well as most urban areas.
Wise advice....

Old 10-17-2021, 08:06 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Are you worried about fire? Or escaping someone?

Hotel fires these days are very uncommon (in the US) - less than 1% of all structure fires. Especially if you're staying in a new-ish name brand hotel that is inspected on a semi-regular basis and with modern fire suppression and fireproofing. Last time I saw the stat - deaths from hotel fires in the US was single digits annually. Most common hotel fires are from (a) kitchens and (b) smoking. If this is a real concern, I'd stay away from the kitchen (cooking, aplicances, etc) and in a nonsmoking hotel (or part of the hotel).

By no means am I suggesting being unprepared, but as someone who does 100+ hotel stays per year and considers himself highly prepared, there are probably other things to be concerned about.

Edit: some light reading - https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/...tics/v19i4.pdf
https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Resear...perty%20damage.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
On another hotel safety note,
Check your safe to see if it still has the default code like 1234 or something stupid like that.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Are you worried about fire? Or escaping someone?

Hotel fires these days are very uncommon (in the US) - less than 1% of all structure fires. Especially if you're staying in a new-ish name brand hotel that is inspected on a semi-regular basis and with modern fire suppression and fireproofing. Last time I saw the stat - deaths from hotel fires in the US was single digits annually. Most common hotel fires are from (a) kitchens and (b) smoking. If this is a real concern, I'd stay away from the kitchen (cooking, aplicances, etc) and in a nonsmoking hotel (or part of the hotel).

By no means am I suggesting being unprepared, but as someone who does 100+ hotel stays per year and considers himself highly prepared, there are probably other things to be concerned about.
Yes, I see your point. I have experienced a hotel fire first hand so maybe more wary/sensitive than the average person. It was not a serious fire and everyone was evacuated in a safe and orderly manner, but when you walk out into a hallway and and visually see smoke (and walk through it to the staircase/exit) it kinda stays in your memory bank.

Also, there are other situations that could potentially arise, an active shooter(s) in the hallway, possibly going room to room or part of a domestic dispute, etc. Being in a room with a fixed inoperable window as your only egress besides the door could leave you as a sitting duck in that scenario. There are other possibilities such as earthquake, plane strike, unknown structural issue, etc. that could make the hallway outside the room impassable, leaving the window as the only exit.

IMO it fosters good habits in general, along with knowing the emergency exits in frequented stores/supermarkets, etc., sitting with your back to a wall in view of the entrance/exit in a restaurant, parking "nose out" in parking lots, leaving a car length from the vehicle in front of you for emergency escape/evasion maneuver, stopping further back at a traffic light if your the first vehicle using natural or man made barriers in case of an intersection collision in front of you, etc.

Hopefully all of these habits will be completely unnecessary and a total waste of time....

Old 10-17-2021, 05:39 PM

1,811 posts, read 901,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Yes, I see your point. I have experienced a hotel fire first hand so maybe more wary/sensitive than the average person. It was not a serious fire and everyone was evacuated in a safe and orderly manner, but when you walk out into a hallway and and visually see smoke (and walk through it to the staircase/exit) it kinda stays in your memory bank.

Also, there are other situations that could potentially arise, an active shooter(s) in the hallway, possibly going room to room or part of a domestic dispute, etc. Being in a room with a fixed inoperable window as your only egress besides the door could leave you as a sitting duck in that scenario. There are other possibilities such as earthquake, plane strike, unknown structural issue, etc. that could make the hallway outside the room impassable, leaving the window as the only exit.

IMO it fosters good habits in general, along with knowing the emergency exits in frequented stores/supermarkets, etc., sitting with your back to a wall in view of the entrance/exit in a restaurant, parking "nose out" in parking lots, leaving a car length from the vehicle in front of you for emergency escape/evasion maneuver, stopping further back at a traffic light if your the first vehicle using natural or man made barriers in case of an intersection collision in front of you, etc.

Hopefully all of these habits will be completely unnecessary and a total waste of time....
If an armed gunman breaks into your right room shoot him dead. Most hotels I’ve been in have pretty stout doors and locks. By the time he’s broken your door down you’ll have plenty of time to arm yourself, drink some coffee and call 911. Then as soon as he crosses the threshold bamo!! Always remember the dead can’t shoot back.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
If an armed gunman breaks into your right room shoot him dead. Most hotels I’ve been in have pretty stout doors and locks. By the time he’s broken your door down you’ll have plenty of time to arm yourself, drink some coffee and call 911. Then as soon as he crosses the threshold bamo!! Always remember the dead can’t shoot back.
Well I take it by your username you are in Alaska. MUCH easier to engage this behavior than here in the Northeast, ESPECIALLY New York where you might get arrested for having a sharp wit. Although you just might have something here. Assuming one would have a carry gun permit for use outside their personal residence, if the window in the hotel room was inoperable/unable to be opened and you could prove you were unable to safely exit the room and avoid the shooter, it may likely be a legit use of firearm for self defense.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:36 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
Food for thought. I was staying in a hotel, and went for ice. The door closed, but somehow triggered the little flip over lock, so I was unable to get back in (the door opened about 2"). Went to the front desk, maintenance guy came up with a little tool, and had me back in in about 10 seconds. I wondered about how secure I was since.
This was New York, so I never carry when I travel there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness