Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 11:18 AM

455 posts, read 305,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corearth View Post
What a Vital question ! Sorry for the novel coming....

Plants have a bunch of Nutrients far beyond biases. For instance, Broccoli has a High amount of nutritional benefits vital for the digestive system, boosting the immune system (more vit C than in oranges like The best plant ever NETTLE), healthy heart functioning etc : calories, carbohydrates, FIBER, Protein, Vit C/K/A, potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron.

Each year, except last year because of the "almost reversed" climate leading to its scarcity, I do Rose Hip juice for the whole winter : one of the Rare "fruit" growing in cold environment. It's been only 2 years I know about the Power of it : Nature is honestly Amazing. Rose hip has a level of Vit C more than 20 times higher than lemon. Harsh winter survival for all interested, birds included !

PROTEIN, unlike mainstream lobbies & people thoughts, are CREATED by PLANTS and ONLY by Plants : only plants can catch nitrogen to melt it with amino acid, making what is called a Protein. Animals of all sorts Can't process it. When you eat an animal, you eat a recycled protein basically transformed inside in eating Plant. "What the Health" is a must-watch movie to know the Truth behind : for Life on VITAL Earth, including ourselves meanwhile. This is an organic Fact that meat-industry lobbies and human ego-stupidity don't want of course to hear about : this is how life has been working on for billions of years, mental beliefs can't change this biological reality.

Anyway, hunting being far harder than picking plants : they won't be any choice to come back, for the few survivors, to a plant-based diet mainly. Bullets have to be bought...without any after a while, no easy and coward gun anymore. Knive, Bow I do practice myself or whatever that can be made by oneself but what about the Whole rest ? Hard in Real Life. Nature is Not a supermarket, there's far more Easy Green in addition. Energies, Energies, Energies to its finest.

Plants are Loaded with Vital molecules, far healthier for our 10 meter long digestive system by the way. But DO NOT MESS with plants : better it is to know about them before, or if not, leave it. Plenty will have NO CHOICE than eating what in real fact is so FULL of NUTRITION and Medicinal benefits. WILLOW BARK is Nature's aspirin without chemical side-effects : from headache to back pain, this is where the chemical form comes from. We didn't invent anything, we imitate Nature in a far more vicious and destructive way. This is fascinating really, also thinking of how many bipeds disconnected from Nature will jump on whatever to survive from corpses to plants....and die because of a lack of knowledge. Plants is an IMMENSE World, impossible to know all.

Barks is one dimension of this Huge world. So much to learn about. As many said, it is the very outer skin with less but certainly not devoid of nutrients at all. Best way to avoid damage within : Infusion. Any lily tea ? A same plant can be beneficial at a low dosage while deadful at a higher....anything digested means slow process for the body to get used to if illness doesn't lead to death. Small amount to start with and see...before, for millenia, there was No scientific proof. Just Intuition and Listen to the Body very Accurately : we'll come back to that.

But barks might be far safer Infused. Or to be softened hours into water (even cold one) and cut into small pieces as much as possible in any survival situation. Barks being not the first part of plant to use for that purpose, because of its harshness probably. But please for so many a minimum capable of cleverness : Stop being so judgemental with Plants, hemlock wouldn't miss you. And nettle in another way as well. Fruits and veggies are Overfilled with BENEFICIAL nutrients, also. Observe their cycle and adapt to it, to survive. And live. No choice.

Some mentioned relevant tribal uses (flour ?) : it requires some tools. It's all about what level of survival : raw is always better, in some ways. High temperature kill part of nutrients as well as some parasites...big advantage is that Plants, unlike animals, have almost Zero parasites. Just some deadful molecules unlike animals...in cities, cannibalism on its way !

Thanks for this question : plenty of research to do now !
For you in France and BigPaul in England, survival is a lot different than it is here in the states, or even between the US east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi.
I live in the Northern Rockies. Aside from the fact we raise a huge amount of livestock, wildlife is abundant. You don't need a gun to take a lot of animals, and traps and deadfalls work the same as they have since the Pleistocene.
In my area, there's a very short growing season, and while there are wild edibles, they're only available for a couple months or a couple weeks in season. Meat is and has always been the mainstay here. The Indians that lived here ate very little vegetation. Their diet was almost exclusively meat in part because it was available all year round.

My area is in many respects sub arctic with temperatures dropping far below zero. -40 isn't uncommon and it can stay that way for weeks. Meat and fat provide the energy you need to generate warmth and have the energy to work in that kind of cold.

We each have to prepare for the environment we live in.
I do like hearing about how others in other environments meet their own challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 11:32 AM

1,125 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
For you in France and BigPaul in England, survival is a lot different than it is here in the states, or even between the US east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi.
I live in the Northern Rockies. Aside from the fact we raise a huge amount of livestock, wildlife is abundant. You don't need a gun to take a lot of animals, and traps and deadfalls work the same as they have since the Pleistocene.
In my area, there's a very short growing season, and while there are wild edibles, they're only available for a couple months or a couple weeks in season. Meat is and has always been the mainstay here. The Indians that lived here ate very little vegetation. Their diet was almost exclusively meat in part because it was available all year round.

My area is in many respects sub arctic with temperatures dropping far below zero. -40 isn't uncommon and it can stay that way for weeks. Meat and fat provide the energy you need to generate warmth and have the energy to work in that kind of cold.

We each have to prepare for the environment we live in.
I do like hearing about how others in other environments meet their own challenges.
Very well written. Yes, people living in cold climates NEED animal fat to stay alive. Look at the Inuit or any northern territory people. They would not survive if they didn't hunt and eat seal with their abundance of blubber. There are people up north that have a custom of harvesting one whale for the village and the blubber is vital for their survival.

I really don't think most ppl can survive on just plants. I know you can do well if you have a very balanced approach. But I suspect there are a lot of nutrients that you just can't get.

BTW, the bark thing is so interesting because I really doubt it's worth all that energy chewing or harvesting for the meager amounts of calories ingested. Case in point... in China during the devastating famine caused by Mao Zedong's horrible rule, there is a famous story about how a whole village resorted to eating mud and bark... until there was no bark left. LAST resort of extreme desperation.

Old 06-18-2022, 02:43 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times
inner bark of some trees is good for making cordage.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:11 AM

12 posts, read 3,370 times
That's Absolutely TRUE : we'll all have to adjust do different LOCAL Nature. In very harsh environment where greenery hardly grow, no choice. But there's Always some Plants, even a minimum. Plants are MEDICINE, very nutritional in all aspects. We forgot it with this modern world. If you don't know your local plants, be very-very careful. Knowledge will Save your Life.

I'm not gonna enter too far that subject but my digestive health is disastrous with any animal product (specifically meat) in addition to have to make a HUGE difference between WILD and INDUSTRIAL Slaughter being the FIRST Reason of Destruction of Forests, Oceans so : Climate change, Food chain & Vital Biodiversity extinction to support our OWN Survival in the Near Future as Human specie as well. ALL IS INTERCONNECTED in the CYCLE of LIFE : we will be part entirely of this 6th Mass Extinction, humans will never survive without freshwater evaporating more&more. No choice, we search for it !

A True Hunter knows how to respect Life to keep being alive on & on : no pregnant, no breastfeeding females, no young ones. Future generations VITALLY. In Wild, mainly old and sick ones are killed which is easier also since weaker they are. It is helping them to be stronger in getting rid of the weakest, same for humans thanks to the basic Covid. And for millenia, Hunting was a NECESSITY : a "regular sometimes" but certainly not every day for multiple reasons. Extreme locations require for the body to be used to and designed for from generations to generations : look at the Bushmen in Kalahari desert, NO WATER for months ! They drink few drops thanks to a specific root. It's Crazy, their bodies is perfectly designed for the worst. Water, I would have been a fish in another life...

Well, Barks are certainly a LAST resort and Temporary. But it doesn't mean that there's no Nutrients at all. Once again Willow bark is the origin of Aspirin : very very practical. Plants are not only FOOD with Vital nutrients like FIBER and PROTEINS also (yes yes), among far-far others but VITALLY : MEDICINE. NETTLE is one of the most nutritional, there is no VIT C in animals or so few except in some livers : Rose Hips have more vitamin C than lemon, nettle (5 times more than lemon), oranges etc combined. Winter fruits are overwhelmed with nutrients because of the specific season but Rare.
I avoided a breast cancer myself thanks to a Healthy Nutritional diet, specifically the core DIGESTION. Astragalus saved the life of 3 of my animals, vets being chemically unskilled from simple to complex diseases. Cystitis/urinary stones : Apple Vinegar. Pain/Blood vanish in few days...TRY and SEE.

However, I know a couple from Scotland who came to live in Sweden in the countryside to live a Self-Sufficient life : yes ! Suicidal ? Pines-pines-pines which means ACIDIC soil. Temperature ? NO comment, probably climate disruption will help a bit later...He has a facebook page, I'll come back later to give the link.

If you can decide where to live, this is the best. Africa and Australia are already suffering A LOT : DROUGHT, Forest FIRE, DEHYDRATION-STARVATION consequently etc etc etc. I don't know : aren't you a bit "scared of all of this" ? Being self-sufficient means not having everything on a plate anymore : perfect ! But tiny change of temperature has terrific damage on Life Growth. Which means less plants, which means less animals, which means less water....list is long. Where Nettle is, Life there is : Nettle is a guarantee of GOOD SOIL in cleansing it while feeding it with vital molecules to Boost Diversity's Growth. Live where Nettle is or plant some ! Same for your body by the way,

Yep : Barks to make CORDAGE. Which ones ?
BERRIES grow almost Everywhere : OVERWHELMED with Nutrients. Store them to have some through the whole year. You might have some around you during the summer, do you ? Time to pick up guys ! No shame at all,

North America is BIG : I am very attracted by living in North East of US like from Virginia/Carolina to Ohio where my aunt lived. Full of Forests, Rivers, Lakes : very good to thrive/live there, no ? South of Germany as well : plenty of water, forests, continental climate. But North-North and South-South : too harsh, too risky for any coming survival time, specifically the latter.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate communicating sometimes. French are so rude, cold, agressive and more&more violent for anything. Pleasure is all mine to Share Constructive stuffs, as long as you're not psychopaths.

Next time : short answer ! Promise.

ps : killing animals is not an issue but Who & How for your own survival as well years after years, generations after generations. Killing a human who's attacking my territory in a very dangerous way for my animals, my plot, my food, myself is not a problem at all, not at all : without any remorse, any pity, any mercy DEAD. Humans are animals, *******s to the core, and Teotwawki will happen sooner than later : humans will slaughter each other hysterically because they won't be prepared at all for the vast majority. We will have to kill any life-threatening intruders with 2 legs, they will be the most dangerous : are, in fact. Look at this f*cking world seriously. NATURE is EVERYTHING, a heaven to become hell because of us. Life will reLive after our extinction...REBIRTH of LIFE

Last edited by Corearth; 06-18-2022 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-18-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Very well written. Yes, people living in cold climates NEED animal fat to stay alive. Look at the Inuit or any northern territory people. They would not survive if they didn't hunt and eat seal with their abundance of blubber. There are people up north that have a custom of harvesting one whale for the village and the blubber is vital for their survival.

I really don't think most ppl can survive on just plants. I know you can do well if you have a very balanced approach. But I suspect there are a lot of nutrients that you just can't get.

BTW, the bark thing is so interesting because I really doubt it's worth all that energy chewing or harvesting for the meager amounts of calories ingested. Case in point... in China during the devastating famine caused by Mao Zedong's horrible rule, there is a famous story about how a whole village resorted to eating mud and bark... until there was no bark left. LAST resort of extreme desperation.

It does require Far Less Energies to pick up plants than to hunt. I'm an archer myself, and a good one to be very humble, and for millenia : Bows were the basic tool to hunt but when you have to kill with a bow a MOVING living being on a deadful point as much as possible : good luck, good bow, good arrows, good sensitivity, good skills (next bow in my collection : Bear Grizzly). It is far easier in theory than in practice : arriving to this https://youtube.com/shorts/68jYl2pRe38?feature=share is not to be taken for granted ! But that's absolutely True, extreme environments need more of a meat/fish diet devoid of mountains of toxins/pesticides/hormones/pain to survive when no other solution. Not to mention Psychiatric Barbarity as humans practice so well like China, among. If you have barks, you can have Leaves that are better nutritionally, depending on the season. China is HORRIFIC regarding ALL FORMS of LIFE.

To come back to extreme nature : The MAIN difference compared to "destructive nowadays" is that they knew how to Hunt, both qualitatively and quantitatively : just what's needed ! As you said it's ONE whale, far enough. Japan for decades : Whale SLAUGHTER. Whales are vital for ocean ecosystem, specifically to feed algaes thanks to their excrements, algaes that mainly catch atmosphere's carbon : oceans have 60% of responsability in the O2/Carb Balance process. For us to Breath. Here we are, quantity ! FEW needed or Extinction ?

I have plenty of Proteins thanks to varying BEANS for instance, Vit B 12 thanks to fermentated rice (oats milk rice with cinnamon, delicious) : the list is very looong. The strongest mammals are herbivores : elephants, gorillas, whales etc. Meat is made for omnivores/carnivores who have been designed by Nature to be so : our digestive system is 10 meter long, unlike 2 meters for omni/carni, that's how it is. Meat take long time to be digested, when not rotting within. A too much Meat-diet leads to plenty of health issues, not to mention at least : tiredness. The body takes a LOT of energies to digest animal flesh, the liver suffers so much meanwhile. Meat, okay but reasonably. Fish is slightly different. HOwever : Energies are so Vital when you don't go to supermarkets, don't stay ages in front of computers etc : it will come back to a very Physical lifestyle. Energies, men, energies. Listen to our bodies !

We're entering a red zone....don't worry : do whatever, it's a personal choice. The MAIN issue in this modern world that will collapse fortunately and foremost : NATURE, EARTH we are vitally part of to survive/live ourselves. It's a Planetary Easter Island,

Last edited by Corearth; 06-18-2022 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-18-2022, 09:30 AM

Oh last : BIRCH bark, as well beech one, is used as a great Fire Starter. Thin so quick, to cook nutritious things...here's some insights, barks have minerals, tons of fiber but the INNER part of it https://www.outdoorrevival.com/well-....html?chrome=1. A vital diet is a Diverse diet, as much as possible

Last edited by Corearth; 06-18-2022 at 09:39 AM..

Old 06-18-2022, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I understand your point of view. I don't agree with it, but I understand that's what you think.

Personally, for me, I can't find a better sustenance than meat and fats for the amount of energy and food value per ounce. I do eat wild plants including nettles, I make tea from the nettle leaves as it's great for reducing swelling from arthritis or overworked muscles, and honestly, the steamed leaves taste a whole lot better than spinach and has a lot more nutrients. Plus, the adult plants make fabulous cordage strong enough to make bowstrings. Emulsifying the seeds in oil or vinegar makes a good tincture too.

I also archery hunt, and I use an English Longbow design. Works great and it's an effective way to harvest large game like elk and bear.

Humans are omnivores. Just like a pig or a bear, we can eat just about anything as proved by the fact some people eat broccoli. That's an adaptation that allowed the human species to survive and thrive in all environments all over the world.

Humans don't have the heavy enamel on their teeth to be full herbivores, we don't have the long gut necessary for processing the huge amounts of vegetation necessary to glean the nutrients we need. There was a breed of Hominid that was strictly vegetarian, the Australopithecus Robusto. Built like a gorilla, with a high ridge of bone on the top of its skull to anchor the heavy muscles necessary for processing huge amounts of vegetation, long gut and huge heavy teeth. They went extinct.

At the same time there was another Hominid called the Australopithecus Gracile. Much lighter build, but an omnivore that ate anything it could find including bone marrow and brains that other predators left on carcasses, insects and fruit as well as nuts and roots. They survived.

This isn't an argument about the pros vs cons of vegetarianism, but I will say that in a true SHTF situation, you better be prepared to make use of anything edible you can find. Right now, food is readily available, and we can pick and choose what we like.

When you're surviving, you don't have that luxury.

Old 06-18-2022, 11:34 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
https://phys.org/news/2019-02-isotop...resh-meat.html

Neanderthals ate primarily fresh meat.

And in some cases, almost exclusively rabbits:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/nean...bits-1.4876856

If one is interested, many of the DNA tests commonly available will tell one how much Neanderthal DNA one has. 23andme does, Ancestry does not.

Another interesting thing about them I recently read, is that they believe the gestation period to be 12-14 months, which may have been a factor leading to their extinction.

Old 06-18-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
https://phys.org/news/2019-02-isotop...resh-meat.html

Neanderthals ate primarily fresh meat.

If one is interested, many of the DNA tests commonly available will tell one how much Neanderthal DNA one has. 23andme does, Ancestry does not.

Another interesting thing about them I recently read, is that they believe the gestation period to be 12-14 months, which may have been a factor leading to their extinction.
Either that, or they didn't use the Gregorian Calendar.

Old 06-18-2022, 12:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 607,749 times
Evolutionary theory states that the only reason we developed such big brains = eating meat.

Our brains are super calorie intensive organs. There is a reason why a lot of us get hangry when we are starving.

I'm not saying we NEED to eat meat nowadays, but realize that our bodies are use to ingesting meat for thousands of years.

I think we are definitely omnivores, but should eat more veg and fruits instead of heavily laden with meat.

Oh another part of the theory is that once we started farming and eating grains (wheat, rice, etc) intensively, we developed certain problems with our jaws, teeth and digestion.

I think it's fascinating how our diets affect our well being. Dorito's anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness