Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I think it would be good to create a few lists and post them for critique and sharing ideas for several of us, give a short description of our situation as it stands now, locale, etc., and then open them up one by one for discussion.
I think this would be a great topic for a thread of its own here. Some items would obvious be case-specific, but it's the categories that get you thinking when you see other people's lists.

Now, you'll have to decide what list(s) you want to see and share: 72-hour Kit contents, BOB(s) content, threat analysis & mitigation, operational plans/SOP vs inventories and skills, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,547 times
back to the OP...............first thing to do is lock and load..........If you have no means of self protection when the uneducated welfare hordes go bonkers, than nothing else you have done will matter.........

Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Texan View Post
Great list, and a toilet is something many (including me) would forget about until they need it. Amazon has several that are affordable, such as a $19 one called "Reliance Products Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet" or a $30 one called "Reliance Products Hassock Portable Lightweight Self-Contained Toilet". They have some in the $100 range too.

Don't forget to cover up the smell with "Reliance Products Bio-Blue Toilet Deodorant Packaged (12-Pack)" which is about $7.

I have canned goods and water, but now I'll have to add a toilet to the list.
You can ALWAYS use a hole in the ground, but the more important item in your BOB or "Hunker Down" supplies kit is: WHAT SHALL YOU WIPE WITH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
back to the OP...............first thing to do is lock and load..........If you have no means of self protection when the uneducated welfare hordes go bonkers, than nothing else you have done will matter.........
Of course, there always has to be one of these comments.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I think this would be a great topic for a thread of its own here. Some items would obvious be case-specific, but it's the categories that get you thinking when you see other people's lists.

Now, you'll have to decide what list(s) you want to see and share: 72-hour Kit contents, BOB(s) content, threat analysis & mitigation, operational plans/SOP vs inventories and skills, etc

I know you're married but lordy, this kind of talk makes me jealous of your husband!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times
You know, something I didn't see on any lists I've read so far is emergency checklists for family members.

It's one thing to sit and plan all this out because we're the "family weirdoes", quite another to have whichever variety of fecal matter to hit whichever oscillating device and see whether people are capable of recalling everything under pressure.

I realized the purpose of this kind of thinking and preparation is to be ready along with being timely and efficient -- but there's NOTHING to compare with driving down the road believing you've made a clean getaway only to stop for the night after 200+ miles and discovering you've forgotten something vital because for all your preparation you were in a hurry, under pressure and can't possibly remember EVERYTHING.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
I'm old so I KNOW I've forgotten most everything! We actually have a list - we are BOTH weirdos. There is ONE thing I always do - and that's check my lists. The more anxious or hurried I am, it's the lists that I fall back on. And h's OCD enough that he not only checks the list, but he is like Santa Claus - he checks it twice.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Best comment yet, suprised no one else said it.
Those who have Ammo will survive. One way or another.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Well to start off with..you have:

basics:
-food
-clothing
-shelter

Then comes:
-communication
-transportation
-protection

Then comes:
-sustainability (this encompasses alot of things..it may be prolonged so what's your long term plan for food/water, etc)

Now some folks think total collapse means nothing..no water, electricity, phone, etc.
Kinda caveman style. I'm thinking 30's ..Great Depression with spurts of no power.

Then I break down my lists into further detail.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I know you're married but lordy, this kind of talk makes me jealous of your husband!
Hehe - luckily, we're both of the same temperament, even if on slightly different perspectives. We spent a lot of time working on the threat/risk analysis & migation plans, even if our identified "threats" were slightly different (me - food & shelter, him - defense & safety). I listed out our circumstances, and then he reviewed it to make sure were were in agreement and had listed all our assets (financial, goods, & skills). Then we cross-referenced the two and each came a way with a list of "to do" items based on our strengths & interests, a top-level plan of action, and a few SOPs to keep us on track. Then we'd sync up, "download" our progress and any vital info we'd uncovered, and check to make sure we hadn't forgotten stuff or needed to add anything to any of the lists.

I may have clued in a little faster than he did, it took about 3 months to really get him on board; but once we started working together the pace really picked up and we were able to accomplish a lot in a rather short amount of time (ok - a little over a year to completely change our lifestyle).

Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
You know, something I didn't see on any lists I've read so far is emergency checklists for family members.
Ooohh, a list of lists... my hero

We have all our planning docs, inventories and checklists in bright binders (3 copies: mine, his & "file"). Every box, bag, & bucket has a packing list and a copy of each is in the binder, too. If we add, move, or use something... we update the lists on the computer (we have it all in a shared OneNote "notebook" on our fileshare) and then print out updated sheets as necessary to keep the binders up to date. Heck, we even have maintenance records for vehicles and equipment, including sources/contacts for parts & service, purchase dates, any warranties or upgrades, etc.

Yeah - we're just a teeny bit OCD (OK - I'm the super OCD list fiend, but he appreciates that it's documented when he needs to verify something and my brain isn't handy for him at the moment )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness